MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - New with lots of questions!

New with lots of questions!

Be free and easy, everyone is welcome. Be whatever you want, but don't be a stranger. :)

New with lots of questions!

Post Number:#1  Postby sobrikay » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum, hopefully I'm posting in the right board.

Am looking to get my PADI diving..finally..after years of putting it off!

But am unsure of what to do..will be going to Bali in September so was thinking of doing a referral course in Malaysia (KL) and then the open sea part in Bali .. what do you guy think? Would that plan work?

Any recommendationas of diving centre in KL that offers referral courses? What about divind centre in Bali?

Thanks so much!
:laugh:
sobrikay
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: New with lots of questions!

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Welcum sobrikay. Why not even finish it off in Malaysia first? Fine tune ur diving here and u can later have fun in Bali
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby keenfreedom » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Narco wrote:Welcum sobrikay. Why not even finish it off in Malaysia first? Fine tune ur diving here and u can later have fun in Bali

200% agreed.
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:56 pm

September to Bali is like high season and most go there during high season looking for the Mola-mola.
It is ok if you want to have your open water there but you will miss out the ever so awesome Mola-mola.
Why i say miss out ? bcoz the dive operator wont take their students to a very adventure open water dive site. They might take you to other places like safe zone for students. The water temperature at sept is around 18C~24C. Our malaysian water is 28C~29C.
yeah its cold over there. Try having ur aircond on at night at 16C and sleep without the sheet on.
Other than that, certain diving area in Bali has strong currents especially the dive site spots for Mola-mola.
The currents can be as strong as the wind in your face when you drive a motorcyle at 80~100kmh.
Not to say that you cant do open water in Bali but there are a few things that might make you uncomfortable during your training unless you are already get use with the cold water temperature..
Read this link. all the things that you will learn to get that OW licence.
http://knows-dive.com/scuba-diving-tips/open-water-course-skills/open-water-skills/

Normally for open water need at least 4days3nights course. Most of your time will be for training and on-land study. You will be too tired to walk around especially for students and newbies. The only thing in your mind after a day of diving is FOOD!!FOOD!!FOOD!!
The Course will be 1day for theory class, 1 day for  2 shore dives and water skills and 1 day for 2 boat dives. After your last boat dive you need at least minimum 18hours before you take a flight home. Otherwise if you are unlucky, you can die due to DCS (google it up what is DCS).
So my advise if you are planning to have your theory class and water skills in malaysia and your OW at Bali
1st Day at Bali- get 2 shore dives
2nd Day at Bali - 2 boat dives
3rd day - you cant be on board any plane, best you just go around tour bali or just hang loose around Kuta
4th day - can fly back home.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#5  Postby Absolute Air Scuba » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:59 pm

Info
If you a Malaysian.... Why border to finish you dive in Bali, why don't you finish all your certification dive in Malaysia Islands.....go to Bali when you r ready n confident with your experience.....then you will enjoy it... Further more Bali not an Eazy Dive Site... It true in PADI system you can finish you dive any part of the world....
Unless some one sponsor you dive n you have no say.......
your passion is diving ours is services
Absolute Air Scuba
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#6  Postby toodus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 am

Listen to your seniors and let us tell you what to do since we're experienced divers and know what's what.

Do your cert here in our country. Get all the jitters and fear and excitement and adventure, put it in your pocket, then go to Bali and have fun.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#7  Postby Narco » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:30 am

Wah, Toodus..

'Listen to your seniors and let us tell you what to do since we're experienced divers and know what's what.' - that is an advise, but doesn't some how sounds like an advise. Is it an advise?? :)
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#8  Postby toodus » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:48 am

Narco,

We have gone through the Open water, Advanced , etc ...... course...... the madness and fun breathing underwater for the first time....
the mask clearing , the removing of BCD underwater, the controlled emergency swimming ascent (CESA) , the reading and watching of videos of PADI stuff.......

We have been through that and all we want is our fellow diver to enjoy his/her first diving experience and with all our wisdom and knowledge, we shud impart wise advice.

Yes, it is not an advise but a guide on telling sobrikay the steps he should take to begin his road to diving....

Maklumlah...I kan Rescue Diver
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#9  Postby Narco » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Cheh.. Baik En Rescue Diver a.k.a China Torch Dealer.. Haiyoo, berlagak hang noo Toodus!!! Hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#10  Postby jubilant » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Is there any particular reason for doing your open water session in Bali ? Should you decide to do it in Bali, there are some to ponder upon, In Bali you will have completly different culture, and language too, If you are comfortable doing it in English, then there are no problem, though you have to understand,  some "local" instructor does not communicate very well in english, so there are chance some "will lost in translation". If you plan to use bahasa Malaysia, well there are slight different term that in bahasa Indonesia, you have to prepare for that. Bali in general are open for everyone, from beginner to expert. Site like Padang bai, pemuteran, tulamben (part of it), are often use for open water student, and there are thousand of alumni to prove it. And site like Nusa penida, crystal bay, Candi Dasa, are for Advance/expert diver, there for no diving school will take green guy to that site . Don't just take my word, google around.
jubilant
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#11  Postby Daylight » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:59 pm

if given the choice, i would rather take my cert in malaysia rather than bali. as i would prefer to explore and dive in the fantastic sites in bali as it is a great place to dive and explore. rather than spending your time in class rooms and training for your open water, i would prefer to explore the various dive sites which i believe is much more of a better deal spending the money on air ticket to see only a fraction of what they have installed for you.

you still have time to get your OW here in msia. trust me, u'll not regret it.
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby sobrikay » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:29 pm

Oh wow...thanks everyone for your advice! Seems like I should really choose Malaysia if possible. The issue is I currently work in Singapore lorr..so timing a little difficult to coordinate. But I will ask around! Maybe there will be good timings..any recommendations for dive centres? Currently Google give me places as far as Sabah/ Sarawak..but I'm in KL .....
sobrikay
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby keenfreedom » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:13 pm

If you are from KL, try Pulau Tioman or Pulau Perhentian.
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby Daylight » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:32 pm

if you dont mind paying SGD i think singapore has some fine DC too who can help you with this. there are also islands like pulau sibu in johor where you can take your OW cert in 4 days. here's some websites that might be helpful.

http://www.sibuislandcabanas.com/dive-center/diving-prices

http://www.divejohor.com/padiprogrammes.htm

http://udive.com.my/index.html

http://www.sibucoconutvillage.com/scuba-diving.html

http://www.myoutdoor.com/index.html

hope it helps you.
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby bockbong » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:38 pm

or go to Tioman, possible to finish everhting in 3 full days, provided that youre a good swimmer. Any diveshop will welcome you, even with a few days notice. Prices varies from rm800-950 for the course alone.
bockbong
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 2

Post Number:#16  Postby Daylight » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:55 am

bockbong wrote:or go to Tioman, possible to finish everhting in 3 full days, provided that youre a good swimmer. Any diveshop will welcome you, even with a few days notice. Prices varies from rm800-950 for the course alone.

wow.. thats cheap.. :)
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby ericcc » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:27 am

bockbong wrote:or go to Tioman, possible to finish everhting in 3 full days, provided that youre a good swimmer. Any diveshop will welcome you, even with a few days notice. Prices varies from rm800-950 for the course alone.

BOCKBONG knows best when it comes to cheap and good!  :laugh:
ericcc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Introductions