MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

A blog of scuba and marine life news in Malaysia. Auto-updated from Google News using keywords. (Sometimes can be a bit salah.)

Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#1  Postby News » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:05 pm

Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star
24 June 2012, 4:46 pm



Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman

[size=-1]Malaysia Star[/size]

[size=-1]Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman (Updated) ... "A report was then lodged at the Pulau Tioman Marine Park," said Capt Abdul Aziz, ...[/size]

[size=-1]Six divers missing off Malaysian island: official *new! The Borneo Post[/size]

[size=-1]Six divers missing off resort island The Sun Daily[/size]

[size=-1]Six divers saved after going missing in Malaysia MSN Malaysia News[/size]

[size=-1]Free Malaysia Today[/size]

[size=-1]all 45 news articles »[/size]

Source: Scuba and Marine News Malaysia
News
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Topic author
Posts: 260
Topics: 2
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#2  Postby oldturtle » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 pm

unbeliveble  :angry4:  ..who were the dive operator ?...
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#3  Postby run » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 am

it is good that the divers stick together.
In todays NST , the story is much more detailed than the rest updated online
http://www.nst.com.my/nation/general/six-missing-divers-rescued-1.97879

If sh*t like this happen, best to stick together
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#4  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:15 am

Alhamdulillah.....everyone safe and sound..... :D
hope they never give up diving hehe.....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#5  Postby oldturtle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:55 am

Hope I have not read the news report wrongly. DM lost his group of divers after 15 min. in the water .. Wow ?  What's going on here ?
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#6  Postby toodus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:56 am

Singaporeans ...one word = KIASU and another word = ignorant
Doing technical dives. Using rebreather and all.... Some doing Advanced NITROX

Made Tioman look bad.....



Support me on this guys.....
Last edited by toodus on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 314
Topics: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Jalan Gasing, PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#7  Postby Daylight » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:14 pm

Thank goodness they are all safe.

i guess we all ought to not be too smart diving away from the group.
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#8  Postby d3ng0d » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm

dive master surfaced alone 30 minutes later, wtf? after separated he went solo diving or what? that divemaster should be revoked for his negligence not taking immediate action after losing the group, he could surface immediately inform the boatmaster, then boatmaster will know where to search for them immediately, most boatmaster is quite experience with the current in that water, this is LOB SOP

that divemaster forgot 1 minute search rule and surface immediately?


considering the 30m depth they went, luckily those lost divers did not suffer DCS, or else matter could be worse


possible scenario, when the group is lost, they stick together and continue diving headed off the wrong direction or drifted away, same goes to that divemaster
Last edited by d3ng0d on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d3ng0d
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#9  Postby oldturtle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:37 pm

that what i thought about the dm too ..i mean the wtf part ! :$ maybe the dm could join here and talk abit ..too be fair too him. :glasses9:

And from this incident , maybe we could discuss a bit on the 'liability form ' we were 'made' to sign before we plunge ..on the issue of suit by paying diver.  :D
Last edited by oldturtle on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm

Is it really LOB?. Last time i check when i sat on the top of the LOB boat, i could see a mile away and the horizon.
Plus the LOB is equip with radio , GPS and so on? i and a few divers even swept away 1km from the dive site (golden reef) still the LOB boat could find us.

unless if this is a small boat. Small boat dont have enough diesel to make search and rescue mission coz they will be stranded too. Like tioman for example
most of the small boat at salang just save enough diesel to back and forth fm salaang to the dive site in front of salang.

How the DM could have lost all 6 divers behind him? i myself dont know the real story.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#11  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:33 pm

something to share from scubaboard.....

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/424600-6-divers-went-missing-off-tioman-island-2.html

something in chinese, please translate for me hehe.... :D

http://www.doyouhike.net/forum/deepblue/896253,0,0,0.html

singapore news & bernama news......

http://www.asiaone.com/News/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20120625-355076.html

http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v6/newsgeneral.php?id=675409

what has happened still unclear.....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gtlX8PH3AO4a_RZPFTcW-CxGA45Q?docId=CNG.acdcf494b0609bf5039278deaa622e45.471

excerpt from the news....
Syed Mohamad Fuzi said that due to a misunderstanding, the alarm was raised when the six were still diving. When they resurfaced, the boat was gone as it went to get help, and they drifted away with the current.

i think the boat leaving 6 divers behind without realizing it....maybe.....hehe.... B-)
Last edited by mamakpenang on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#12  Postby d3ng0d » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:57 pm

6 + 6 + 7 divers, definitely not a small boat
it is a charter boat, most probably LOB considering they depart from Mersing at night, i was there in Tioman last week
Last edited by d3ng0d on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d3ng0d
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#13  Postby d3ng0d » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:10 pm

http://www.doyouhike.net/forum/deepblue/896253,0,0,0.html
quick translation from Google , still readable (will proof read after working hour ;P) --> alright too lazy to reword whole thing, i stole this from scubaboard.com forum which happens the article was stolen from other forum too...lol


[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]This is a common itinerary for Singaporeans, depart straight after work on Fridays, 3 hours bus ride to the jetty at Mersing, followed by a boat ride at night to Tioman. 6 dives in total would be done over Saturdays and Sundays before heading back to Singapore.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]On that particular Saturday, the groups were divided as follows:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]A : 1 instructor, 2 AOWD students, 4 leisure divers (I was part of this group)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]B : 1 instructor, 1 DM, 2 students learning Deep Dive, 3 students for Deep Dive refresher course (these 3 students who are on refresher course have previously learned Deep Dive form this dive school, because we have a wreck dive in October, these students were there to practice the whole procedure etc. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]C : 1 DM, 3 leisure divers[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]After the 1st check out dive, the boat arrived at Pulau Chebeh, group B then started their Deep Dive course. Their plan was to bring 9 bottles of air for 7 pax. Main aim is to have maximum bottom time and still have enough air for safety stop.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]On this divesite, the lowest water temp was 24 degrees celsius. This is uncommon at Tioman as normally the water temp should be 28 degrees and above. Despite wearing a 3mm wetsuit, coupled with a hood, I still find myself shivering at times. In addition, visibility was a mere 5m or so. But there is no underwater currents, if range 0-10 points, should be between 0 to 1 point. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]My dive was on 23rd June, 1237hrs. Maximum depth is 30.4m, average depth was 14.3m with a bottom time of 48mins. When we surfaced and reached the boat, Group B's DM has already been seperated from the group and headed to the boat by himself.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]Following are the spate of events that this DM encountered for discussion purposes:[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]6/24[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]12:23 PM --- Entry?Headed East[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]12:25 PM --- Descended to 22m?Carry on heading East[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]12:33 PM --- 31m?instructor let students perform a skillset[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]12:36 PM --- No current?and as it was approaching decotime, ascended?while following the bubbles.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]12:36 PM --- underwater no currents, because is near to hitting the Deco time, we ascend, follow the bubbles. [/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px](think meaning not ascend faster than the smaller bubbles?)[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]12:47 PM --- Seperated from the group?Searched around for a minute or 2 at 29m?began to ascend.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]13:07 PM --- Completed safety stop, headed to boat.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]13:34 PM --- After the boat has picked up groups A and C, they circled the island to try to locate Group B. The boatman also informed boats in the vicinity about the missing divers.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]14:19 PM --- 1 instructor and another DM dived and attempted to look for them, to no avail. There was still no current underwater.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]15:00 PM --- A GUE vessel arrived at the dive site, as our searching radius was around 40m, we requested their twin tank divers to help in the search.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]15:00 PM --- Instructor and 2 more DM re-entered the water to search, me and my buddy also decided to join in the search, 3 of them went their own ways to search while me and my buddy were allocated another place to search. We found nothing. But found that the currents towards the north. If range 0-10 point, it should be 2 point. (think he trying to say very mild current) [/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]15:55 PM --- Another boat came to join in the search.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]16:20 PM --- Began to contact the next of kin for all the missing divers. Began contacting DAN to ask for help.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]18:14 PM --- My buddy and I entered the water once again before nightfall, found nothing.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]After nightfall, the day's activities were halted. We went back to the island to rest. Everyone was under a lot of stress, everyone was silent.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]As there were a several boats at the same dive site, we guessed that one of the boats may have already picked them up. Also, the possibility of 6 divers going missing all at once seems improbable. The police reports were made around 2am. The Malaysian Coast Guard deployed 2 boats to the scene at around 3am. There were also 8 naval divers who came and prepare for next day's search and rescue.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]After reaching the island, we got in touch with the China Embassy, the Malaysian Government was also notified, hope that they will carry on the search even after nightfall.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]6/24 [/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]09:50 AM --- My buddy and I went back to Chebeh to search again, we found no one.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][size=13px]11+?as we were at the jetty awaiting to head back to Singapore, we received phone calls from the police and the islanders, saying that there was a vessel who found the divers and that they were all safe and sound. The Malaysian Navy deployed a speed boat to transfer them to the island for checkups as the speed of the tugboat which located them is slow. They were found to be fit and there was no need to stay on for observation.[/size][/font][/color]
[color=rgb(51, 51, 51)][font=Verdana][/font][/color]
Last edited by d3ng0d on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d3ng0d
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#14  Postby d3ng0d » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:25 pm

With Singaporean and China Chinese divers, what to expect from them? Ignorant!!
we Malaysian divers? most just follow the group only

toodus pointed out some fact there
d3ng0d
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:48 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#15  Postby toodus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:31 pm

One of the worst accident reports I've read ..... not because of the tragedy but because of failed story telling structure. Too kelam kabut....


I stopped reading at "A B C"
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 314
Topics: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Jalan Gasing, PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#16  Postby run » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm

hahha toodus u crack me up

mamak penang the part miscommunication . This a bit blurry to me.
Anyhow divers i am so tired of want to blame here and there. Let me just point out a few tips when you got separated fm your DM or divers and hit with a current.
1) when you dive and hit with strong current , try to fight current and get to the nearest rocks/corals  or something like a whip corals(for you to grab) that could sheild you fm the current.
2) When you cant fight the current some divers suggest just drift and follow the currents. BEWARE. Not all currentz we can do drift dive. Like my experince dive in sepoi island (tioman). During the dive me and 3 dievrs got separated fm the DM and 4 other divers. One of the diver suggest just follow the current. I signal NO cause i knw where we will end up if we follow the curent. Open sea. How i know cause i can see that the coral formation are beginning to change to seaweed and sand. i will for sure lost the direction if follow the drift. So i signal them , just fight the current a little bit to a coral nearby and lucky for me once we got there , no current and surprise to see the rest of the divers and DM too.
3) the whip coral can tell you how strong the current is going to be. if you see the whip coral bend almost reach the ground. Dont go to that area.

hope this helps a little
my 2 cents :)
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#17  Postby toodus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Two words - Wear Gloves


If there's strong current, always wear gloves. I had a very good experience in one of my dives.... I was informed by someone familiar with the dive site..."Take the boat out...dive, and the current will take you back to the resort".


I did so but the strong current was the opposite. I kept calm and literally crawled my way to 5metres with the gloves.


Wear gloves ......


On another note, Singaporeans should just stick to Batam Island or MacRitchie Reservoir.... 
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 314
Topics: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Jalan Gasing, PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#18  Postby toodus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:21 pm

I would also like to note that ...diving alone can be sometimes be safer than diving with a bunch of ....bozos.....
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 314
Topics: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Jalan Gasing, PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#19  Postby steampunk fish » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm

i was there at abc last saturday. yes there was strong current and from my dc the temperature drop to 24-25 deg. spoken to our DM (from Sweden) he only 2-3 months there..he was using compass during dives and im sure he also not familiar and cant really recognize the dive site.
maybe after this i should ascent with our local DM lor.. :D
steampunk fish
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:40 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#20  Postby reztitan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:23 pm

A quick question, since its a hot issue now.

If you are caught in strong current, and you realise the rest of the group is drifting towards the wrong way and there is no way you can contact any of them, what would you do?

a. Follow the group and get lost together?

b. Follow your gut instinct and go towards the way you know is right but end up suffacing alone or lost by yourself?
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 79
Topics: 2
Joined: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:37 am
Location: Subang
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#21  Postby run » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:51 pm

reztitan wrote:A quick question, since its a hot issue now.

If you are caught in strong current, and you realise the rest of the group is drifting towards the wrong way and there is no way you can contact any of them, what would you do?

a. Follow the group and get lost together?

b. Follow your gut instinct and go towards the way you know is right but end up suffacing alone or lost by yourself?


i do hope other otais could answer these q.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#22  Postby toodus » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:24 pm

B
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 314
Topics: 18
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:42 pm
Location: Jalan Gasing, PJ
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#23  Postby solo » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:33 pm

Most divers are not informed that they can dive on "weak current" days which can easily checked by referring to tide charts.  I have been diving for years alone using this chart and it is most relaxing and safe!
solo
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:11 am
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#24  Postby zaff1984 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:41 pm

toodus wrote:Singaporeans ...one word = KIASU and another word = ignorant
Doing technical dives. Using rebreather and all.... Some doing Advanced NITROX

Made Tioman look bad.....

Support me on this guys.....



hahaha.... I was like "kagum gila" see all those using rebreather equipment... they look so canggih & high tech...



toodus wrote:Two words - Wear Gloves

If there's strong current, always wear gloves. I had a very good experience in one of my dives.... I was informed by someone familiar with the dive site..."Take the boat out...dive, and the current will take you back to the resort".

I did so but the strong current was the opposite. I kept calm and literally crawled my way to 5metres with the gloves.

Wear gloves ......

On another note, Singaporeans should just stick to Batam Island or MacRitchie Reservoir.... 



lol, the note agak kejam...


and I will get glove in MIDE..
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:36 am
Location: Kuala Lumpur
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#25  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:56 pm

geng latest/better translation taken/copied from scubasg......for reading & reference.... B-)

i was on the same boat and would wish to share what happened on that day as well as what was learnt with you guys:

This is a common itinerary for Singaporeans, depart straight after work on Fridays, 3 hours bus ride to the jetty at Mersing, followed by a boat ride at night to Tioman. 6 dives in total would be done over Saturdays and Sundays before heading back to Singapore.

On that particular Saturday, the groups were divided as follows:

A : 1 instructor, 2 AOWD students, 4 leisure divers (I was part of this group)
B : 1 instructor, 1 DM, 2 students learning Deep Dive, 3 students for Deep Dive refresher course (these 3 students who are on refresher course have previously learned Deep Dive form this dive school, because we have a wreck dive in October, these students were there to practice the whole procedure etc. 
C : 1 DM, 3 leisure divers


After the 1st check out dive, the boat arrived at Pulau Chebeh, group B then started their Deep Dive course. Their plan was to bring 9 bottles of air for 7 pax. Main aim is to have maximum bottom time and still have enough air for safety stop.

On this divesite, the lowest water temp was 24 degrees celsius. This is uncommon at Tioman as normally the water temp should be 28 degrees and above. Despite wearing a 3mm wetsuit, coupled with a hood, I still find myself shivering at times. In addition, visibility was a mere 5m or so. But there is no underwater currents, if range 0-10 points, should be between 0 to 1 point.

My dive was on 23rd June, 1237hrs. Maximum depth is 30.4m, average depth was 14.3m with a bottom time of 48mins. When we surfaced and reached the boat, Group B's DM  has already been seperated from the group and headed to the boat by himself.

Following are the spate of events that this DM encountered for discussion purposes:

6/24
12:23 PM --- Entry?Headed East
12:25 PM --- Descended to 22m?Carry on heading East
12:33 PM --- 31m?instructor let students perform a skillset
12:36 PM --- No current?and as it was approaching decotime, ascended?while following the bubbles.
12:36 PM --- underwater no currents, because is near to hitting the Deco time,  we ascend, follow the bubbles. (think meaning not ascend faster than the smaller bubbles?)

12:47 PM --- Seperated from the group?Searched around for a minute or 2 at 29m?began to ascend.
13:07 PM --- Completed safety stop, headed to boat.

13:34 PM --- After the boat has picked up groups A and C, they circled the island to try to locate Group B. The boatman also informed boats in the vicinity about the missing divers.
14:19 PM --- 1 instructor and another DM dived and attempted to look for them, to no avail. There was still no current underwater.
15:00 PM --- A GUE vessel arrived at the dive site, as our searching radius was around 40m, we requested their twin tank divers to help in the search.
15:00 PM --- Instructor and 2 more DM re-entered the water to search, me and my buddy also decided to join in the search, 3 of them went their own ways to search while me and my buddy were allocated another place to search. We found nothing. But found that the currents towards the north. If range 0-10 point, it should be 2 point. (think he trying to say very mild current)


15:55 PM --- Another boat came to join in the search.

16:20 PM --- Began to contact the next of kin for all the missing divers. Began contacting DAN to ask for help.

18:14 PM --- My buddy and I entered the water once again before nightfall, found nothing.

After nightfall, the day's activities were halted. We went back to the island to rest. Everyone was under a lot of stress, everyone was silent.

As there were a several boats at the same dive site, we guessed that one of the boats may have already picked them up. Also, the possibility of 6 divers going missing all at once seems improbable. The police reports were made around 2am. The Malaysian Coast Guard deployed 2 boats to the scene at around 3am. There were also 8 naval divers who came and prepare for next day's search and rescue.

After reaching the island, we got in touch with the China Embassy, the Malaysian Government was also notified, hope that they will carry on the search even after nightfall.

6/24

09:50 AM --- My buddy and I went back to Chebeh to search again, we found no one.

11+?as we were at the jetty awaiting to head back to Singapore, we received phone calls from the police and the islanders, saying that there was a vessel who found the divers and that they were all safe and sound. The Malaysian Navy deployed a speed boat to transfer them to the island for checkups as the speed of the tugboat which located them is slow. They were found to be fit and there was no need to stay on for observation.
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#26  Postby run » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:34 pm

thanks mamak penang for the details. Seems that they have conduct the rescue mission thoroughly. So the instructor was among the 6 divers missing. Only he can explained how they get off the track. who knows... his information could help us in the future?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 859
Topics: 20
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:12 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#27  Postby oldturtle » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:03 pm

mamakpenang wrote:geng latest/better translation taken/copied from scubasg......for reading & reference.... B-)

i was on the same boat and would wish to share what happened on that day as well as what was learnt with you guys:

This is a common itinerary for Singaporeans, depart straight after work on Fridays, 3 hours bus ride to the jetty at Mersing, followed by a boat ride at night to Tioman. 6 dives in total would be done over Saturdays and Sundays before heading back to Singapore.

On that particular Saturday, the groups were divided as follows:

A : 1 instructor, 2 AOWD students, 4 leisure divers (I was part of this group)
B : 1 instructor, 1 DM, 2 students learning Deep Dive, 3 students for Deep Dive refresher course (these 3 students who are on refresher course have previously learned Deep Dive form this dive school, because we have a wreck dive in October, these students were there to practice the whole procedure etc. 
C : 1 DM, 3 leisure divers


After the 1st check out dive, the boat arrived at Pulau Chebeh, group B then started their Deep Dive course. Their plan was to bring 9 bottles of air for 7 pax. Main aim is to have maximum bottom time and still have enough air for safety stop.

On this divesite, the lowest water temp was 24 degrees celsius. This is uncommon at Tioman as normally the water temp should be 28 degrees and above. Despite wearing a 3mm wetsuit, coupled with a hood, I still find myself shivering at times. In addition, visibility was a mere 5m or so. But there is no underwater currents, if range 0-10 points, should be between 0 to 1 point.

My dive was on 23rd June, 1237hrs. Maximum depth is 30.4m, average depth was 14.3m with a bottom time of 48mins. When we surfaced and reached the boat, Group B's DM  has already been seperated from the group and headed to the boat by himself.

Following are the spate of events that this DM encountered for discussion purposes:

6/24
12:23 PM --- Entry?Headed East
12:25 PM --- Descended to 22m?Carry on heading East
12:33 PM --- 31m?instructor let students perform a skillset
12:36 PM --- No current?and as it was approaching decotime, ascended?while following the bubbles.
12:36 PM --- underwater no currents, because is near to hitting the Deco time,  we ascend, follow the bubbles. (think meaning not ascend faster than the smaller bubbles?)

12:47 PM --- Seperated from the group?Searched around for a minute or 2 at 29m?began to ascend.
13:07 PM --- Completed safety stop, headed to boat.

13:34 PM --- After the boat has picked up groups A and C, they circled the island to try to locate Group B. The boatman also informed boats in the vicinity about the missing divers.
14:19 PM --- 1 instructor and another DM dived and attempted to look for them, to no avail. There was still no current underwater.
15:00 PM --- A GUE vessel arrived at the dive site, as our searching radius was around 40m, we requested their twin tank divers to help in the search.
15:00 PM --- Instructor and 2 more DM re-entered the water to search, me and my buddy also decided to join in the search, 3 of them went their own ways to search while me and my buddy were allocated another place to search. We found nothing. But found that the currents towards the north. If range 0-10 point, it should be 2 point. (think he trying to say very mild current)


15:55 PM --- Another boat came to join in the search.

16:20 PM --- Began to contact the next of kin for all the missing divers. Began contacting DAN to ask for help.

18:14 PM --- My buddy and I entered the water once again before nightfall, found nothing.

After nightfall, the day's activities were halted. We went back to the island to rest. Everyone was under a lot of stress, everyone was silent.

As there were a several boats at the same dive site, we guessed that one of the boats may have already picked them up. Also, the possibility of 6 divers going missing all at once seems improbable. The police reports were made around 2am. The Malaysian Coast Guard deployed 2 boats to the scene at around 3am. There were also 8 naval divers who came and prepare for next day's search and rescue.

After reaching the island, we got in touch with the China Embassy, the Malaysian Government was also notified, hope that they will carry on the search even after nightfall.

6/24

09:50 AM --- My buddy and I went back to Chebeh to search again, we found no one.

11+?as we were at the jetty awaiting to head back to Singapore, we received phone calls from the police and the islanders, saying that there was a vessel who found the divers and that they were all safe and sound. The Malaysian Navy deployed a speed boat to transfer them to the island for checkups as the speed of the tugboat which located them is slow. They were found to be fit and there was no need to stay on for observation.




comical report indeed. (no blame on goggle translation) ...it is indeed a  failed plan .. ....hope the 'victim' would sue whoever is responsible.
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#28  Postby projekts » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:58 am

You have 4 Malaysians going missing together and you are blaming the only Singaporean and Chinese?
I do not know what did the Chinese or the Singaporeans do to you, and neither am I interested to know, but making such a politically incorrect statement on such a public forum shows how immature you are, and asking for supports for a foolish statement just shows how ignorant you are.
And yes, I am a Singaporean, and do take offend in your statement, but rest assured that I do not assume that all the Malaysians are like you.

toodus wrote:Singaporeans ...one word = KIASU and another word = ignorant
Doing technical dives. Using rebreather and all.... Some doing Advanced NITROX

Made Tioman look bad.....



Support me on this guys.....

projekts
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 83
Topics: 13
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#29  Postby tigershue » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:40 am

projekts wrote:You have 4 Malaysians going missing together and you are blaming the only Singaporean and Chinese?
I do not know what did the Chinese or the Singaporeans do to you, and neither am I interested to know, but making such a politically incorrect statement on such a public forum shows how immature you are, and asking for supports for a foolish statement just shows how ignorant you are.
And yes, I am a Singaporean, and do take offend in your statement, but rest assured that I do not assume that all the Malaysians are like you.

toodus wrote:Singaporeans ...one word = KIASU and another word = ignorant
Doing technical dives. Using rebreather and all.... Some doing Advanced NITROX

Made Tioman look bad.....



Support me on this guys.....






And this is just tongue-in-cheek.... :P  :P

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-is-buzzing/ah-lian-vs-auntie-clash-mrt-quarrel-093745529.html
tigershue
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 9:53 am
Location: Top Of The World
Gender: None specified

Re: Found - six scuba divers who went missing off Pulau Tioman - Malaysia Star

Post Number:#30  Postby oldturtle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:08 am

Discriminated Chinese Boleh lander V.S Kiasu Singaporean please.... :D

Its about time Dive Operator shaped out or shipped out . No matter how merticulous the aftermath search and rescue is conducted , the accident should not have happen in the 1st place.

Hope all here can focus on whether Dive plan were carelessly created by half past six operators or DM.
Its is also to be proven wrong otherwise too.

Still hope the DM can share his story here ..
Last edited by oldturtle on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Next

Return to Scuba and Marine News Blog

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron