MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Hiya!

Hiya!

Be free and easy, everyone is welcome. Be whatever you want, but don't be a stranger. :)

Hiya!

Post Number:#1  Postby mihun » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:39 pm

:hello: [size=small]Hello all![/size]

I'm open water diver, from PM, now working at Lankayan, Sabah. [size=small]Honestly I was not aware of this website until i accidentally found this when i was looking for camera and underwater housing last month. Great place to learn about scuba diving and get connected with divers in Malaysia![/size]

Cheers! ;)
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Hiya!

Post Number:#2  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:58 pm

welcome to the club.. :)
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby mamakpenang » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:59 pm

welcome to the club sis.... B-)
langkayan island, what a place to work....
what did u do there....care to share
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Narco » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Welcumm mihun, have a safe dive and dun't forget to equalize.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#5  Postby mihun » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:08 pm

mamakpenang wrote:welcome to the club sis.... B-)
langkayan island, what a place to work....
what did u do there....care to share

I'm working as research assistant there, marine biology. Working mainly on turtle conservation and underwater surveys like Reef Check and etc. Do drop by and say hi if you visit Lankayan  ;)
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Marine biology, every diver dream job i guess.. haha.. what is the main attraction in Lankayan..? look like very nice island. by the way, welcome to the club.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby mihun » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:41 pm

zaff1984 wrote:what is the main attraction in Lankayan..? look like very nice island.

Yes, very beautiful island. One of the main attraction for foreign tourists is the turtle watching program. For diving...well, i would say everything is seasonal, depends on your luck, haha. If you like to see 'big' things it's better for you to go Sipadan. But if you like macro this would be a nice place for you  ;)
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby zaff1984 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:06 am

mihun wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:what is the main attraction in Lankayan..? look like very nice island.

Yes, very beautiful island. One of the main attraction for foreign tourists is the turtle watching program. For diving...well, i would say everything is seasonal, depends on your luck, haha. If you like to see 'big' things it's better for you to go Sipadan. But if you like macro this would be a nice place for you  ;)

thanks for your explanation :) how about accommodation there..? expensive..? or they got cheap accommodation like Mabul..?
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby mihun » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:00 am

zaff1984 wrote:thanks for your explanation :) how about accommodation there..? expensive..? or they got cheap accommodation like Mabul..?

All are chalets, facing to the sea. Quite expensive to stay there. The island has only one resort in operation, Lankayan Island Dive Resort. You can refer to the rate here:
http://www.amazing-borneo.com/island/lankayan-island-dive-resort-htsk-lidr.html
http://www.journeymalaysia.com/islandlankayanresort.htm

All rates are per person. Some people said this island can remain its beautiful until now because it is too expensive for people to go  :D
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby erysyah » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:20 pm

holla - hallo.. :hello:

"Some people said this island can remain its beautiful until now because it is too expensive for people to go" <-- should remain that way..
i'm broke.. how to go dive?
erysyah
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby Daylight » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:43 pm

its even more expensive than sipadan-kapalai resort.. lol
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:31 pm

mihun wrote:
zaff1984 wrote:thanks for your explanation :) how about accommodation there..? expensive..? or they got cheap accommodation like Mabul..?

All are chalets, facing to the sea. Quite expensive to stay there. The island has only one resort in operation, Lankayan Island Dive Resort. You can refer to the rate here:
http://www.amazing-borneo.com/island/lankayan-island-dive-resort-htsk-lidr.html
http://www.journeymalaysia.com/islandlankayanresort.htm

All rates are per person. Some people said this island can remain its beautiful until now because it is too expensive for people to go  :D

Wow.. Too expensive for me.. I think i have to bring tent. Haha.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby mamakpenang » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:38 pm

mihun,
where did u stay, maybe i can tumpang u if i go there.... :D
any other options, like stay in the mainland & take a boat to the island instead....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby Daylight » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:35 pm

mamakpenang wrote:mihun,
any other options, like stay in the mainland & take a boat to the island instead....

maybe we can rent a dive boat to dive in the area in a group or mainland might provide such facility. mihun can you check it out for us?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby mihun » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 am

It is expensive because of its remoteness.

mamakpenang wrote:mihun,

Haha, we stay at staff quarters. The buildings on the islands are restaurant, chalets, staff quarters, police personnel and army barrack, that's all.

Nope you can't do that. Boat ride from Sandakan takes approximately 1.5 to 2 hours. By the time you reach you have to prepare to go back already because if boat transport at evening is quite dangerous.

Daylight wrote:maybe we can rent a dive boat to dive in the area in a group or mainland might provide such facility. mihun can you check it out for us?

Nope. No mainland operator can do that except our company. Even if you have a boat to the island, you still have to pay for;
- conservation fee (the island is within a MPA, RM25 per pax per night)
- diving fee (even if you use your own boat and gears, as long as dive at our dive sites)
- island access fee (this fee scares a lot of yachtsman away  :D )
- food and beverage (again because LIDR is the sole operator here, you cannot find food else where)

In short, my boss monopoly the island  :laughing7:
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby Daylight » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:03 pm

mihun wrote:Nope. No mainland operator can do that except our company. Even if you have a boat to the island, you still have to pay for;
- conservation fee (the island is within a MPA, RM25 per pax per night)
- diving fee (even if you use your own boat and gears, as long as dive at our dive sites)
- island access fee (this fee scares a lot of yachtsman away  :D )
- food and beverage (again because LIDR is the sole operator here, you cannot find food else where)

In short, my boss monopoly the island  :laughing7:

yeah.. its the same owner as sipadan-kapalai resort right? they gave me a video on their 3 resorts available.. its a beauty indeed.. :) maybe someday.. (praying lottery will be good to me)
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby gavstang » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:56 pm

erysyah wrote:holla - hallo.. :hello:

"Some people said this island can remain its beautiful until now because it is too expensive for people to go" <-- should remain that way..

Wahhhh lao!  Those are some premium prices! Nevertheless, makes a change from the basic amenities divers are used to.  Good place to bring the non diving missus and kids..
Hook Line and Sinker
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#18  Postby seamoth » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:05 pm

One of the attractions of Lankayan is supposed to be the giant jawfish.  Are they still around?
Seamoth
seamoth
Diver
Diver

Topics: 3

Post Number:#19  Postby mihun » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:00 am

Daylight wrote:yeah.. its the same owner as sipadan-kapalai resort right? they gave me a video on their 3 resorts available.. its a beauty indeed.. :) maybe someday.. (praying lottery will be good to me)

Yes, all belong to the very same owner  ;)

seamoth wrote:One of the attractions of Lankayan is supposed to be the giant jawfish.  Are they still around?
Seamoth

Yes the giant jawfish! Spend some time and you can find them when you go snorkelling at sandy area in front of chalets (don't even need to dive). But i haven't see them in awhile, seldom go snorkelling at that side.
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:43 am

i know they have cheaper packages that the locals can get at kapalai. is there also cheaper packages there?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby mihun » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Daylight wrote:i know they have cheaper packages that the locals can get at kapalai. is there also cheaper packages there?

What do you mean by cheaper packages? Locals can enjoy slightly cheaper price than foreigners. Or you mean price for VIPs or official visit or you know my boss.. :icon_tongue:
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby Daylight » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:25 pm

mihun wrote:
Daylight wrote:i know they have cheaper packages that the locals can get at kapalai. is there also cheaper packages there?

What do you mean by cheaper packages? Locals can enjoy slightly cheaper price than foreigners. Or you mean price for VIPs or official visit or you know my boss.. :icon_tongue:

what i mean is the that local (sabahans who live around sandakan) is able to get cheaper prices. my trip to kapalai i paid about 120 more than a local would pay per day for the stay..
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby mihun » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:15 am

Daylight wrote:what i mean is the that local (sabahans who live around sandakan) is able to get cheaper prices. my trip to kapalai i paid about 120 more than a local would pay per day for the stay..

Hmm... i never heard about that.. perhaps you should contact the sales office for details  ;)
mihun
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby Sen » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:48 pm

mihun wrote:
Daylight wrote:what i mean is the that local (sabahans who live around sandakan) is able to get cheaper prices. my trip to kapalai i paid about 120 more than a local would pay per day for the stay..

Hmm... i never heard about that.. perhaps you should contact the sales office for details  ;)

Local east M'saian get cheaper price for diving in all site around that area. Non Malaysian pay extra 15-20% (i think) extra...
Sen
Diver
Diver

Return to Introductions