MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Jumping in!!

Jumping in!!

Be free and easy, everyone is welcome. Be whatever you want, but don't be a stranger. :)

Jumping in!!

Post Number:#1  Postby Daylight » Thu May 24, 2012 5:26 pm

hello people..

after countless discovery dives i'm finally going for my open water..

any heads up and tips for the pre-diver member?

cheers
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Jumping in!!

Post Number:#2  Postby Narco » Thu May 24, 2012 5:30 pm

Brave the sea! And don't forget to qualize.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#3  Postby Daylight » Thu May 24, 2012 5:35 pm

yeah.. my ears will remind me for sure.. :)  :glasses9:

can i can i use contact lense during dives? or is it advisable to get goggles with power lense?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Narco » Thu May 24, 2012 5:37 pm

Get a mask with corrective lense. That should be far better than wearing contact lense.. at least to my preference.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#5  Postby Daylight » Thu May 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Narco wrote:Get a mask with corrective lense. That should be far better than wearing contact lense.. at least to my preference.

roughly how much will a mask with corrective lense cost?

i have read some where mentioning that it will be difficult to locate boat after taking off ur mask after dives.. experienced it before?

cheers
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby fl33066 » Fri May 25, 2012 9:34 am

I wear contact lens, and for me, that's the better option.  No issues at all.  With corrective lens mask, during surface interval, you have to put on your glasses or you have to wear your mask on the whole time.  And if you accidentally lose your mask or break your mask, then your dive trip is pretty much shot unless you have a backup mask.  Borrowing a mask won't help because you still cannot see clearly.  I have a spare old set of contact lens I carry with me, but haven't needed to wear them because of diving issues.  Only needed them once when I forgot to switch my glasses for the contacts before I left the house.  :)
fl33066
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#7  Postby Daylight » Fri May 25, 2012 10:31 am

thanks fl33066 for the advise.

since you were mentioning that you are using monthly or lense have u ever faces problems with irritation of bacteria infection after dives etc?

will the contact lense be easy to shift places or wash out during dives when eyes are in contact with the water during mask clearing etc?
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby shiranui » Fri May 25, 2012 5:45 pm

hi daylight. :hello:
i totally understand the CHALLENGE to swim/dive with eyesight problem (farsighted, nearsighted, low degree, high degree etc.).
identify the risks for both situations; MASK: you can bring a spare and change underwater if you need to. yet you may not see clearly on the surface and on the boat (esp if the degree is high). pls don't me you want to wear the mask all the time  :P  LENSES: you can keep a spare set on the boat, but no way you can change them underwater. if by any chance your lenses were drifted away when you open your eyes in the water, you just have to stay calm and carry-on with the dive. perhaps do a lot of mask-clearing exercises to prepare you for any worst-case scenario.  :)
as for wearing mask with corrective lens vs. contact lenses, give yourself time to find out what works best for you. but if you should choose to wear lenses, maybe it's advisable to wear daily disposable ones. that'll eliminate your worries of contaminated lenses or eye irritation. cheers!  :angel8:
shiranui
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby Daylight » Sat May 26, 2012 9:22 am

shiranui wrote:hi daylight. :hello:
i totally understand the CHALLENGE to swim/dive with eyesight problem (farsighted, nearsighted, low degree, high degree etc.).
identify the risks for both situations; MASK: you can bring a spare and change underwater if you need to. yet you may not see clearly on the surface and on the boat (esp if the degree is high). pls don't me you want to wear the mask all the time  :P  LENSES: you can keep a spare set on the boat, but no way you can change them underwater. if by any chance your lenses were drifted away when you open your eyes in the water, you just have to stay calm and carry-on with the dive. perhaps do a lot of mask-clearing exercises to prepare you for any worst-case scenario.  :)
as for wearing mask with corrective lens vs. contact lenses, give yourself time to find out what works best for you. but if you should choose to wear lenses, maybe it's advisable to wear daily disposable ones. that'll eliminate your worries of contaminated lenses or eye irritation. cheers!  :angel8:

thanks for ur explanation :)

btw, in equalizing, my past few discovery dives requires me to equalize very often. is there any way to allow me to be able to reduce the frequency for me to equalize? 
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby fl33066 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:04 am

Daylight wrote:thanks fl33066 for the advise.

since you were mentioning that you are using monthly or lense have u ever faces problems with irritation of bacteria infection after dives etc?

will the contact lense be easy to shift places or wash out during dives when eyes are in contact with the water during mask clearing etc?

I've never had any bacteria infection, even after multiple dives on consecutive days.  I wear soft lens (monthly disposable).  I do rinse and disinfect my lenses every night.  I keep a small bottle of contact lens eye drop with me and once in a while, after a dive, I put a couple of drops just to wet it.  Never have lost my lenses during mask clearing but then, I keep my eyes closed. 
fl33066
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#11  Postby zaff1984 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:38 am

Daylight wrote:
i totally understand the CHALLENGE to swime with eyesight problem (farsighted, nearsighted, low degree, high degree etc.).

btw, in equalizing, my past few discovery dives requires me to equalize very often. is there any way to allow me to be able to reduce the frequency for me to equalize?

I dont wear contact lenses...so I use power mask...my mask brand IST + lenses RM180, bought at scubatex during MIDE but I think the price is still round that figure.. sometime I brought small bag to store my glass on the boat.. or usually I just gave to boatman to save it for me...

yup, I equalize every meter... to be safe equalize before your ears hurt.
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby Daylight » Mon May 28, 2012 12:10 pm

zaff1984 wrote:
Daylight wrote:
i totally understand the CHALLENGE to swime with eyesight problem (farsighted, nearsighted, low degree, high degree etc.).

I dont wear contact lenses...so I use power mask...my mask brand IST + lenses RM180, bought at scubatex during MIDE but I think the price is still round that figure.. sometime I brought small bag to store my glass on the boat.. or usually I just gave to boatman to save it for me...

yup, I equalize every meter... to be safe equalize before your ears hurt.

equalize every meter? great. i thought i was the only one who equalize very often as one of my friend said he only equalized 4-5 times to reach 15 meters dept.. but i guess its based on an individual's physical condition.

as for the mask, i've used the daily disposable lense to dive 2-3 times til now.. i think i'll keep at it and see if it works out before buying a mask with correction lense.

btw, any suggestion of places or country that sells dive equipments at a cheaper price? some propose hong kong but recently i saw some good deals in the US..
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby mamakpenang » Tue May 29, 2012 1:04 pm

take it easy, one skill at a time, dont forgot to breath, dont forgot equalize.....the rest come naturally, just go & dive.... B-) 
remember u are a fish.....hehe....
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby Daylight » Tue May 29, 2012 3:42 pm

mamakpenang wrote:take it easy, one skill at a time, dont forgot to breath, dont forgot equalize.....the rest come naturally, just go & dive.... B-) 
remember u are a fish.....hehe....

i always thought i was a giant octopus.. hahahaha..
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Return to Introductions