MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Hello! I'm working with Dive-HQ, a new resort in Terengganu

Hello! I'm working with Dive-HQ, a new resort in Terengganu

Be free and easy, everyone is welcome. Be whatever you want, but don't be a stranger. :)

Hello! I'm working with Dive-HQ, a new resort in Terengganu

Post Number:#1  Postby skubasteve81 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 am

I finally got that verification question right after trying uppercase/lowercase/all caps... just needed a dash.  self-contained.

A bit about me: I'm from the U.S., married to a Malaysian from KL.  I'm a new PADI Instructor (certified in September in KK, Sabah), and now I'm living in Terengganu, at a small resort that opened earlier this year.  No diving during the monsoon season, of course, so now we're working on the nice new boat and getting everything squared away before the season starts.  It's gonna be a pretty sweet boat once it's finished.  42 feet, swim deck, TV/DVD for training/marketing/entertainment, shower & toilet, hot & cold drinks, etc.

Does anybody happen to have detailed information about the dive sites near Kapas, Gemia, and Tenggol?  I've been looking around online for what seems like weeks, and I'm not having much luck.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hi.  Hopefully, I'll be a pretty active member.

I really can't wait until the monsoon season is over.  This whole "not diving" thing sucks.
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Re: Hello! I'm working with Dive-HQ, a new resort in Terengganu

Post Number:#2  Postby tim » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:29 am

Welcome!

Try http://www.asiadivesite.com/malaysia-dive-sites/ for some dive maps and information on dive spots.
tim

Post Number:#3  Postby skubasteve81 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks.

Yeah I've been to that site and several like it.  They have a decent overview of the area, but I'm looking for more detailed info about the specific sites themselves.  Our plan is to have a little flip-book for our customers with all the sites listed, with depths, possible currents, a bit of topography, etc.  That way, while we're on our way to the islands in the morning, they can take some time looking through it and we can decide where we're diving.  The more time I spend on it, the more I think we're just gonna have to do all the leg work ourselves.  That's what I'm trying to avoid if I can, because we'd really like to have it all laid out to begin the season.

I'm thinking we'll just have to do what we can with the info we find, and then add to it ourselves the first few weeks of the diving season.  I'm just holding out a tiny bit of hope that I can get some good info from someone here or one of the local shops.

Thanks again.
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby fatimberlake » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Bro,

Please consider to transfer Sabah/Sarawak. There is very minimum down-time for diving than penisular. :glasses9:
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby skubasteve81 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:06 am

Oh man you have no idea how quickly I'd move to Sabah.  I did all my training in KK, and loved it.  The problem is my wife couldn't find a job.  Since she's from the peninsula, she'd have to have a work permit to work in Sabah.  How stupid is that?  Every place she interviewed with either wouldn't hire her, or offered her part time but wouldn't get her a permit.  Oh well, I'll deal with it.
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby WaiLuvScuba? » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Skubasteve81,

Mind to share where exactly is your small resort in Terengganu? I am looking forward to visit Tenggol island when the dive season begins again next year. Thanks!
WaiLuvScuba?
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby skubasteve81 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:31 pm

WaiLuvScuba? wrote:Hi Skubasteve81,

Mind to share where exactly is your small resort in Terengganu? I am looking forward to visit Tenggol island when the dive season begins again next year. Thanks!

Sure!  Here's the address:  KM 46, Kg. Pasir Putih, Merchang, 21610 Marang.  We're located on the coastal highway 3, about 30-40 minutes away from KT.  If you're coming from KT, you'll go through Marang (past the squid/prawn statue) and past Kelulut (beach eating places).  About 10-15 minutes after Kelulut, we'll be on your left (sea-side).  You'll see a resort called Duta Retreat on the left, and we're just a minute or two after that.  There's a big sign out front with a photo of a diver, and if you're ever out this way in the evening, just look for the blue lights.  If you get to the Shell petrol station, you went too far.

If you're coming from Dungun, it'll be around 20-30 minutes.  You'll go past the turtle sanctuary, past a Petronas on your left then a Shell station on your right.  Then a bunch of roadside stalls selling corn, and shortly after those, you'll see Dive HQ on the right.  If you see a place called Duta Retreat on your right, you went a bit too far.

Phone number:  09-844 1725
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Dirt-Diver » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:05 pm

Care to share the dive package / fee. Planning for my dive trip once monsoon is over.

So little time & so many dive sites
Dirt-Diver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby skubasteve81 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 am

Dirt-Diver wrote:Care to share the dive package / fee. Planning for my dive trip once monsoon is over.

So little time & so many dive sites

If you own your own equipment, our price for a day of diving will be RM350.  This includes two dives, a light lunch and cold (or hot, if you prefer) drinks on board the boat.  Optional third dive for RM20.

If you're renting our equipment, the price for a day of diving is RM400.  This includes BCD, regs, fins, mask, two dives, light lunch and cold (or hot) drinks on board the boat.  Optional third dive for RM80.

For PADI courses, we don't have all the prices worked out yet, so let me know if you're interested, and I'll get back to you.
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby tim » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:26 pm

???

Steve, is that to Bidong, Kapas, Lang Tengah, Tenggol or Redang?

I assume accommodation is not included.

So 6 dives with lunch (without equipment) would be RM740?
tim

Post Number:#11  Postby toodus » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Ive seen that sign several times while driving along the coastal road. Some questions :

Is it a day trip kind of service? That means the boat leaves from Marang..say to Tenggol, then do 2-3 dives and come back to Marang?

Or is it a liveonboard like Kaleebso? 2-3 days on the sea?
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#12  Postby thethirdprince » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Tim wrote:???

Steve, is that to Bidong, Kapas, Lang Tengah, Tenggol or Redang?

Now wouldn't that be a bit on the higher side?
thethirdprince
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby skubasteve81 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:33 pm

Tim wrote:Steve, is that to Bidong, Kapas, Lang Tengah, Tenggol or Redang?

Sorry, forgot to add that part.  That's going to be to either Kapas/Gemia or Tenggol, and possibly Bidong, depending on divers' preference.  To me, it looks like we'll be spending most days around Tenggol, but that's purely a guess at this point.  I'll know more once the dive season gets rolling.

Accommodation is not included, although we will put together some packages that include accommodation.  As I said, we are still getting everything in order.  If you'd like, I can message you with information on packages once we have those figured out.

Yes, it would be 740 for 6 dives plus lunch.

thethirdprince wrote:
Now wouldn't that be a bit on the higher side?

It may be a bit higher than you'd expect to pay with a lot of local companies, but well worth it when you compare the day's diving.  You'll be spending the whole day on the large comfortable boat, as opposed to going out to the island on a little speed boat, disembarking to collect your gear, loading into another boat, out to the dive site, dive, then back into the boat and back to the island where you'll be on your own for lunch, then back onto a boat, back out to the site, etc. etc.

I think when you add in the luxuries on board the boat, it's more than worth a bit extra.  How much extra would the average diver pay to have a toilet and fresh-water shower on board their dive boat?  It also has an easy-in, easy-out swim deck less than a meter from the surface, and a shaded deck with padded seating to relax between dives. 

I really think the boat will start selling itself once people see it out and about.

toodus wrote:Ive seen that sign several times while driving along the coastal road. Some questions :

Is it a day trip kind of service? That means the boat leaves from Marang..say to Tenggol, then do 2-3 dives and come back to Marang?

Or is it a liveonboard like Kaleebso? 2-3 days on the sea?

It's going to be day trips only.  Out from either Marang or Dungun to Tenggol or Kapas, then 2-3 dives and return.
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby edrie » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Congrats skubasteve81! :) Is this new small resort yours or you're working there. I'm getting all excited seeing you here and hopefully be able to dive that side of the map with you.

Best regards! :)
edrie
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#15  Postby skubasteve81 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:11 am

Hi Edrie!

I'm just working here.  Met some people when I arrived, and kinda just fell into the opportunity.  You should definitely come over sometime this year when the season starts.

Hope things are well in KK.  I miss it there.
skubasteve81
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Return to Introductions