MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - NAUI instructors clean up Port Dickson sea

NAUI instructors clean up Port Dickson sea

A blog of scuba and marine life news in Malaysia. Auto-updated from Google News using keywords. (Sometimes can be a bit salah.)

NAUI instructors clean up Port Dickson sea

Post Number:#1  Postby timyang » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:49 pm

PORT DICKSON: While most of us are familiar with cleaning up trash from beaches here, some 20 National Association Underwater Instructor (NAUI) divers took it a step further by removing garbage from the sea.

One of the divers, German-born Petra Brink, 46, from Kuala Lumpur said: "The water is murky and visibility is near zero, so I can't see any trash. I have to swim very close to the seabed and comb the sandy floor with my gloved hands for the rubbish. It is like swimming blind!”

Another diver, Charlie Lee, 44, from Seremban said: “The rubbish is more than I expected. I managed to collect abandoned fish traps, T-shirts, drinking cans, cigarette butts and sweet wrappers. I even found a tar ball covered in mud.”

When the rubbish was raised to the surface, The Malay Mail team saw such a wide range of trash, including a pair of boxers!

The divers are towed for some 500m from the beach into the sea in the morning by motorboats and they are monitored by Port Dickson's Fire and Rescue Department staff during the clean-up.

They were among those taking part in Avillion Hotel Group’s second beach clean-up campaign themed 'Take a Stand in The Sand 2'.

Over 300 volunteers, including hotel staff and Port DIckson residents, joined in the clean-up of the shoreline stretching two kilometres from Avillion Admiral Cove to Avillion Port Dickson.

Avillion Admiral Cove general manager Allan Kay, said: “Our management is environmentally focused. Every year, we conduct a beach clean-up campaign.

"This campaign is not just to preserve the environment, it also sets an example for others to follow to keep our beaches clean for future generations and raise awareness on the importance of taking care of mother nature.”

This view was echoed by diver Peter Yew, 44, from Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur, who said the underwater clean-up was necessary to maintain a healthy living for marine life.

“This kind of activity needs to be done regularly to reduce sea pollution. This is because the underwater trash might release harmful toxins which could endanger marine life.”

Port Dickson Municipal Council president Abdul Wahab Samsudin, said some of trash were swept in from other places.

“At the end of the year, there usually will be a lot of rubbish on beaches which get swept to the surface from the sea bottom. They come from places as far as Sepang and coastal areas of Indonesia.”

The council collects roughly five tonnes of rubbish daily.
timyang

Topic author

Return to Scuba and Marine News Blog