MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tenggol - construction work and the environment

Tenggol - construction work and the environment

Discussions about coral, fish and other marine life

Tenggol - construction work and the environment

Post Number:#1  Postby ericcc » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:13 pm

https://www.facebook.com/notes/anuar-abdullah/construction-work-on-pulau-tenggol-is-damaging-the-environment/10151004194536300

Some observations made by Mr. Anuar Abdullah of Perhentian, on the effect of irresponsible construction or renovation work on Tenggol. Read and weep.
Last edited by ericcc on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ericcc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Tenggol - construction work and the environment

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:39 pm

i was informed that land is the property of majlis daerah. do you know what kind of boat they use to bring timbers, cements and all sort of heavy building materials? It is the same transfer boat like the one in redang which use to transfers passengers from the ferry to the island. Big flat and heavy and when that boat reach the bottom of the shallower part, it scraps off all the corals and sand.
Back few years ago i remember the water didnt reach near to tenggol island resort dining place even during high tide but last year i notice a differrent. The waves already reach the chalet. When there is a contruction at any given place near the water edge bound to have this kind of problem.
Attachments
IMG_0862 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by run on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby geraldyne » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:04 am

Welcome to Malaysia!

Since when do Malaysian profit making people cares about the environment (or at least i think is not one of their check list when planning a contruction works at at given island!)

I feel you and Redang is a very good example, there used to be a lot of corals by the shore and you can literally go snorkeling 24/7. But now, forget it, all you got is sand, rocks or worst left-over of construction materials.
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topics: 3

Post Number:#4  Postby Nitrogen addict » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:06 am

Latest update marine park already visited tenggol and took pictures. Now they are preparing reports and they will see the Majlis ppl soon
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Return to Marine Life