MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - My First Bargabanti & My First Deco

My First Bargabanti & My First Deco

Discussions about coral, fish and other marine life

My First Bargabanti & My First Deco

Post Number:#1  Postby toodus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:53 pm

I have never seen a Hippocampus Bargabanti before. A Hippocampus Denise yes but no a Bargabanti before.
Words spreaded that a Dive Instructor spotted 2 Bargabantis on a seafan. One month later, the DI brought me
and another guest to try to see it. The DI was nervous because he has not been to the seafan for a month and
he had two eager uw photographers with him. He later told me that he was worried he couldn't find the creatures.

Anyway, we descended to 28m and he started looking while the both of us hover a metre away. With his torch, the DI looked
around the fan and after what felt like the longest 2 minutes, he gestured us to come over which to us meant he has found
the Bargabanti.
When he first showed us, I could see. Absolutely nothing. And I took pictures anyway not knowing what I took.

[img width=600 height=449]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6csPzMFpn_I/T9sNfFh4nLI/AAAAAAAAEnU/z79nbxQfcyM/s679/P1150656.JPG[/img]
I thought the brown thing was the pygmy seahorse but after a while ..clearly it was not. But it was around there somewhere. Look to the upper right and you can see the tail of the Bargabanti coiled at the branch of a seafan.
[img width=600 height=449]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-svaQxxjWx28/T9sNeqbUu8I/AAAAAAAAEnM/h55KWSyQxz4/s679/P1150654.JPG[/img]

After a while, my eyes grew accustomed to the size of the pygmy and started to focus but the other diver was on the opposite side. Chaos a bit because I would fix my eyes on the pygmy seahorse and when I lifted my camera to focus the bugger had twisted itself to face the opposite side. Stressed!!!

Getting there...getting there

Top right...look at the silly look on the pygmy seahorse

Finally, after a while, I got hold of the pygmy in sight, zoomed in , macro mode and snap snap snap......
[img width=600 height=449]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rDj1iTy4p-I/T9sNq8WpMcI/AAAAAAAAEpc/GoNoLLpXh7A/s679/P1150673.JPG[/img]
[img width=600 height=449]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j5JZ3lF8c-g/T9sNro-2RWI/AAAAAAAAEps/tfCs7OfZbbs/s679/P1150675.JPG[/img]

By then, the deco alarm sounded from my D4i. ASC 3.0m ....my first time deco....I saw the DI and the other diver slowly coming up and joined them.

Phew...my first Bargabanti and my first deco.
It's small. Take a grain or rice, Halfed the grain of rice and that's the size of your pygmy seahorse. My shots were lousy.... Should I upgrade?
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author
Topics: 18

Re: My First Bargabanti & My First Deco

Post Number:#2  Postby DM » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:13 pm

nice pic, with better cam sure will take better pic. may be can take fr the other side so can see his eyes fr front.
btw where is the loc and dive site? i saw it only twice and would like to see it again.
Be happy, rain or shine, wet or dry!! ;)
DM
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#3  Postby zaff1984 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:40 pm

half of grain..? that's insanely small... what camera you used and did you use macro lens with it..? I captured pygmy seahorse (pink color) by accident at Tioman. I zoomed the picture later, then realize there was a pygmy seahorse. haha.

Pardon me, what is mean by 'deco'..? can someone explain to me in the simplest way.. haha...  I need to read the blue text book again....
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby toodus » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Bro DM,

I tried to take a frontal pic but he kept turning the other side. After several times, I couldn't keep up. I shot at my best abilities. My camera is basic  ..no marco lens, no strobe, LUMIX DMC FTI. When Panasonic came out with their first Lumix series, mine was the first.....so be kind guys...

Bro Zaff
Deco means decoration underwater ..like Underwater Deco  with IKEA Furniture. 
Tioman ada Bargabanti?
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topic author
Topics: 18

Post Number:#5  Postby run » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:09 am

ya zaff?? pygmy at tioman?? perhaps u see baby seahorse?? tioman waters too hot for these little fella to survive.

toodus. Change casing. Use additional lense-macro.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#6  Postby zaff1984 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:36 am

toodus wrote:Bro DM,

I tried to take a frontal pic but he kept turning the other side. After several times, I couldn't keep up. I shot at my best abilities. My camera is basic  ..no marco lens, no strobe, LUMIX DMC FTI. When Panasonic came out with their first Lumix series, mine was the first.....so be kind guys...

Bro Zaff
Deco means decoration underwater ..like Underwater Deco  with IKEA Furniture
Tioman ada Bargabanti?

I should not ask that question at the 1st place.. I dont have Dive Com.. so I just follow dive guide.. if he go deeper I just follow..

run wrote:ya zaff?? pygmy at tioman?? perhaps u see baby seahorse?? tioman waters too hot for these little fella to survive.

toodus. Change casing. Use additional lense-macro.

not sure la run, I tot its pygmy, because its small.. haha... anyway here the picture:

[img width=600 height=450]http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb68/amin1984/Facebook/Dive%20%20Tioman%20Mac%202012/PygmySeahorse.jpg[/img]
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby DeepOceanSupplies » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:37 am

zaff1984 wrote:half of grain..? that's insanely small... what camera you used and did you use macro lens with it..? I captured pygmy seahorse (pink color) by accident at Tioman. I zoomed the picture later, then realize there was a pygmy seahorse. haha.

Pardon me, what is mean by 'deco'..? can someone explain to me in the simplest way.. haha...  I need to read the blue text book again....

decompression stop. in short deco stop.

doing a safety stop is also a deco stop.

going deep and do deco stop at a few different depth is call multi level deco stop.

thats the shortest explaination.. lol

for more u can read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decompression_(diving)

for even more detail, refer to your PSAI, TDI, GUE,.. etc on the procedures and steps. usually different agency have their own procedures.
Deep Ocean Supplies Team
www.deepoceansupplies.com
DeepOceanSupplies
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#8  Postby run » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:51 am

hahaha toodus your deco explanation cut short is evil you know! :D  poor zaff.

i'm pretty sure that is not pgymy. It is a normal seahorse but i too unable to see it clearly. Rarely(or never i think) found the pgymy at this kind of hard coral.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#9  Postby decimal86 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:52 am

yeah i enjoy these wonders of nature as well. thks. Toodus..where is this place?
Last edited by decimal86 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Return to Marine Life