MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - 2 Malaysians enter international freediver rankings

2 Malaysians enter international freediver rankings

A blog of scuba and marine life news in Malaysia. Auto-updated from Google News using keywords. (Sometimes can be a bit salah.)

2 Malaysians enter international freediver rankings

Post Number:#1  Postby timyang » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:23 am

PILOT Azam Hamid and student Tian Chow Kuan have gained a place in the International Association of Development Apnea (Iada) ranking list.

The duo were included in the Iada list after their impressive display in the inaugural Malaysian Pool Freediving championship at the Klang Executive Club in Klang recently.

Azam, 35, was the best performer among the participants. He garnered a total 85 points — 37 in static and 47 in dynamic — while Tian finished fifth with 51.8 points (26 and 25.8).

Both have registered with Germany to enable themselves to be ranked in Iada.

Tian, a swimming instructor and student at SMK Syahbandar in Klang, was happy to be part of the programme.

“It was not an easy task but I am happy with my points. I hope to continue my training programme and improve my points,’’ he said.

Organising chairman Lee Boon Leong said they were pleased with both Azam and Tian’s enthusiasm in getting their names on the list.

“This is the first time we had initiated this programme. About 20 participants made the event an exciting one. It was like getting into the unknown and the participants should be commended for their determination.

“This championship was a good beginning and we hope to make it an annual affair,’’ said Lee.

The championship, recognised by the Iada — the governing body for freediving — was organised by Dolphin Sport Adventure and supported by KEC and Scuba Symphony.

Germany’s Richard Wonka and England’s Sarah Whitcher, accredicted technical officials with Iada, were the judges during the championship.

Participants were adjudged in the two categories; static and dynamic (with fins). In static, trained freedivers will attempt to hold their breath for as long as possible.

In dynamic, the participants attempted to achieve the most distance horizontally with one breath and with fins.

KEC hospitality division head Valerie Tee said they were proud to offer their facilities for the event.
timyang

Topic author

Re: 2 Malaysians enter international freediver rankings

Post Number:#2  Postby nglg212 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:35 pm

Congrats to both and the organiser as well...i was there last Sunday to witness the event....:)
nglg212
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#3  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:16 pm

Official results are duplicated here.
http://apnea.cz/ranking.html?eid:1145
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#4  Postby khai kogaku » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:50 am

:icon_salut: congrats to Azam and Tian .... malaysia boleh mah!  :D
khai kogaku
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Scuba and Marine News Blog