MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - fatal incident off tioman

fatal incident off tioman

Re: fatal incident off tioman

Post Number:#31  Postby Snafu » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:23 pm

nanda666 wrote:
pummkin wrote: even though they happen to be speeding past OVER & ABOVE divers' bubbles.

"Over & Above divers bubbles" is very different from "over & above divers SMB", isn't it?

I think this is the point that Ketam was making by saying that divers need to take responsibility too.

If we cross the road without checking the traffic, then blame the speeding car, yes you can but I rather not meet the accident in the first place rather than look for means to prosecute the errant driver.

If all divers deploy the SMB on every accend (Or even ensure that one is deployed in the vicinity of their accend) we could avoid these incidents or at least reduce the probabilities of them occuring significantly.

In addition, I'll make it a point now to include SMB deployment in the Open water classes that I teach, can? (PADI does allow the incorporation of additional teaching syllabus for "local diving".)

Yes U can teach ur student how to deploy SMB as long as U know how to do it properly  :laughing11:

For a start IMO ..dive organizers, divers or whoever leads on the boat can make the effort to inform the dive operators n boatman about how important to be safe n to remind them about it, as soon as we get on the boat.

That be good for a start, if we all can manage that....we can go next step.

As most accident can be avoided if divers take some responsibility in their own hand by simply giving safety REMINDER to others.

Dive Instructor or Guide should have minimum of 10 yrs diving experience with skills covers to dive from different type of boat, conditions, location, senior First Aid n COMPETENT to be tested maybe every 2-3 yrs once  :laughing11: I know of few diving instructors that should have been ONLY advance diver  :P

Oh as for the boatman  :laughing11: other then having license, they must be competent n able .... know the rules & respect the rules. Should be able to apply theory to practical application. We as divers must do our part by reminding them at all time to respect the rules n follow it.

For now in Malaysia...Divers need to take the safety into their own hand and ASK for it from Dive Instructors, Dive Operators, Boatman..etc. Coz of Fun Fun Fun, basic safety is compromise n the victims will be WE DE Divers.

BEST is to even see divers trying to cover-up for the Diver Operators/Organizer because it is their FRIENDs  :laughing11:

Are We Malaysia divers ready to make a change for the better???

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#32  Postby Ketam » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:24 am

Agree with you Syed..... Pummkin's point is how things could and should be better. We should not only be ready for the change, we should start the change. Only by acting responsibly can we impart the values to the other less responsible people.

Ketam never dived outside of Mesia before (sob! sob!) but heard of boatmen isn thailand with their longtail zipping everywhere at warp speed, Indonesian boatmen with their somehow lack of maintenance of machinery and so on. Lets not our diving community be marred by these incidents.
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#33  Postby pummkin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:44 pm

Can someone confirm or shed some light to the casualty with 8 stitches on the forehead that he was part of a 30-diver-group led by ONE instructor at the Salang jetty??? If what was reported to me is true, I think this person ought to report the instructor to the relevant agencies & have her license barred.
If I'm not here, I'm underwater...!
http://www.deepblu.com
pummkin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#34  Postby Snafu » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:53 pm

pummkin wrote:Can someone confirm or shed some light to the casualty with 8 stitches on the forehead that he was part of a 30-diver-group led by ONE instructor at the Salang jetty??? If what was reported to me is true, I think this person ought to report the instructor to the relevant agencies & have her license barred.

30:1 ratio??!!!!! ... WOW!!!!!! but I think is not against any regulation right?? .... Awesome numbers, must be fun n 'safe'!!!!

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#35  Postby Ketam » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:00 am

Ketam was in Tioman when it happened but whatever Ketam heard is third hand at best as mostly heard from other boatmen, divers and snorkellers while lepaking (hanging out). Firstly the boat was stationary, engine off. Secondly, nobody on the boat heard a knock or anything, suddenly this diver floating and bleeding. It was believed that he had ascended uncontrollably and hit the boat or that he had hurt himself hitting coral or something.

Diver was sent to Mersing and believed to be able to recover fully (plus the scar). Everybody there are hoping that the diver could shed some light on what happened.
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#36  Postby dp » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Interesting.

30 : 1 ratio

Uncontrolable ascend

Diving without a SMB or rather, a marker at the jetty.

How fast we forget the things we learned during our OW course.

(sorry la a bit late.. been offline for quite a while)

:P
Last edited by dp on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#37  Postby Nizaha » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:49 am

30:1 ratio.. what we call Scuba Doo.... Should stick the pointer to instructor ASS!!!

Safe Diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Previous

Return to Accidents and Incidents