MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Casualty at Crsytal Bay in Bali 19th Sept 2008

Casualty at Crsytal Bay in Bali 19th Sept 2008

Casualty at Crsytal Bay in Bali 19th Sept 2008

Post Number:#1  Postby Scuba Symphony » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:53 pm

A newly wed couple on honeymoon trip, between 9.30am-11am on Fri, 19th Sept 2008. Strong current as usual at Crystal Bay, we just came up from our 1st dive and heard shoutings from everywhere, around 8-10 boats that day, all circling around 1 particular boat...apparently the husband of the couple panicked and  shot up from 30m. In just a few moments, that boat sped back to Bali main land...rumors was the diver had passed away before they could reach main land...

Saw Ricard Ng on another boat with his group.

Possibly a few other Malaysians were diving on different boats that day, anyone with more detailed infos?

Sad tragedy, newly wed...:(
Scuba Symphony Sdn Bhd
www.scubasymphony.com
Scuba Symphony
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Location: S103A 2nd Floor, Centrepoint Bandar Utama,47800 Petaling Jaya, Malaysia. Tel: +603-77107197 Fax: +60

Re: Casualty at Crsytal Bay in Bali 19th Sept 2008

Post Number:#2  Postby seryoong » Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:38 pm

Really sad whenever this kind of thing happens...  :$

Condolences to the victim and his family. R.I.P
seryoong
Diver
Diver

Topics: 1

Post Number:#3  Postby mauimugen » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:45 am

I feel the lost too...condolences to the families.
I was there on August last month. Yes indeed.. current is strong and also the freezing waters....
Experience really counts for this dive i guess.
My blessing and condolences......
LiVe & LeT's DiVe
mauimugen
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:24 am

RIP and condolences to the family...
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#5  Postby SL » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:40 am

Yes, our group with Richard and others, total 13 divers was the 1st boat in Cystal Bay on 19th Sept, the current was very strong and we were diving with a very established and safe operetor, the lead DM told us , we have to revert back while our air indicated half tank, 100 bar, and the current there alway change within min.

Water temp was about 23 deg cel. just as he mentioned, while we go down, the current is ok, but while we reach the wall, we felt the current changed so fast and all divers actually have to hold on the the wall and rock....the DM swam out to check if any Mola Mola outside the wall in deep water....unfortunately we have no luck on the day... :( and while we swam back to the bay, the current was so strong and it was a long fight with current to swam back...while we all safely back to the dive boat, most of us on very low air level with 1 or 2 even near zero air level....

While we finished our surface internal and about ready to go for 2nd dive at the same site, our lead DM (he is so experience) was the 1st one noted the Japanese was carried by a DM of other group on the surface water...We try our best to help up and offer a oxigen tank...a doc from other dive boat actually help up but heard it was too late...

The news was published in Bali Post on the next day, reported the divers actually suffered from difficulties in breathing underwater, suspect sickness during the dive....heard also, there was actually 2 DM for these 2 japanese divers, and as usual, the DM ask diver to wait by the wall, and he swim out to look for Mola, but while the DM was back, the diver already fainted and the DM actually pull him up to the surface....

It was a very sad case, after the incident, we change to other dive site as noticed Cystal Bay is actually quite a dangerous site and all of us have no mood to dive the same site....and as just I mentioned, the diver who go for Mola Mola trip must be experience and discipline....the risk of strong current couple with low temp water can only handled by experience diver (preferably more than 50 dives record).....even that, the diver need to be very cautious about the air level, especially while Mola is found, it is important not to chase it as it tend to bring diver to the deep water even more than 40m without awareness....

From the case, I personally feel that the confident and fitness of the diver is so important, we must know our limit and level and should not forced or pressured by others to dive if we dont feel comfortable or uneasy....safe diving is very important and the role of operator is equally important, ideally, there should be a oxigen tank and first aid kids on the dive boat....especially while the dive site is far away from mainland...Divers should only dive with established and safe operators...
SL
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby ikan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:03 pm

thanx chee gee and SL for sharing ...
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#7  Postby ajisan » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:53 pm

I was there about 1 month ago. Shared with you guys my experience

Noted. The current are strong! Looking at speed boat crossing the area is like looking at boat crossing at Sungai Perak. Strong surface current. Even there's some whirl pool created by strong surface current from 2 different direction.

But as we start dive at the mola-mola site ( i assume its the same site where u guys went), the current is not so strong at the begining.

We went down to about 20m & saw a mola-mola... temp then was 23C... with very slow current.

Then we saw few more of mola-mola... i think its about 6-7 of them...also with very slow current.

Think we're so lucky to have seen the sunfish (6-7 of them) with very slow current....lucky got snap pics of them too

As our DM said... its not that normal to have seen bunch of mola-mola at the same site & with relatively with dept 20m & slow current (or at no current at all).

A day before our dive, the DM said they saw few of mola-mola at the same site at 30m with 19C & mild current.
ajisan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby syed » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:31 pm

Wow, Ajisan, so lucky of you to have seen so many mola molas, in shallow waters, with relatively no current and with opportunity to take lots of photos...it makes losing one's life, which I believe was the more serious matter at hand here, almost a non-issue compared to your joyous experience...
syed
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby missydiver » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:58 pm

sad case here... :crybaby2:
missydiver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Nazir Amin » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:10 am

Seekor anak kera bertanya ke ibunya, “Bu, knapa ya wajah kita begitu jelek?”
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#11  Postby Leafy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:52 am

Thanks SS and SL for the info and report.

My condolences to his family and friends, may he rest in peace.
--
Website : http://www.leafbug.org “Don’t tell the story if you don’t have the pictures” - National Geographic
Leafy
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby mauimugen » Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:23 am

ajisan wrote:I was there about 1 month ago. Shared with you guys my experience

Noted. The current are strong! Looking at speed boat crossing the area is like looking at boat crossing at Sungai Perak. Strong surface current. Even there's some whirl pool created by strong surface current from 2 different direction.

But as we start dive at the mola-mola site ( i assume its the same site where u guys went), the current is not so strong at the begining.

We went down to about 20m & saw a mola-mola... temp then was 23C... with very slow current.

Then we saw few more of mola-mola... i think its about 6-7 of them...also with very slow current.

Think we're so lucky to have seen the sunfish (6-7 of them) with very slow current....lucky got snap pics of them too

As our DM said... its not that normal to have seen bunch of mola-mola at the same site & with relatively with dept 20m & slow current (or at no current at all).

A day before our dive, the DM said they saw few of mola-mola at the same site at 30m with 19C & mild current.

Ajisan which day was it? i too spotted  6-7 of them... last month.
Agreed ....Like what SL said , experience and discipline. When i was at the dive site, strong current constantly keep changing underwater. I was dragged down nearly to 35 m and was literally had to wall climb out just like u did rock climbing on land. Staying close to DM is important. Never leave your buddy out of sight. Diver tends to be engrossed seeing the molas and to the extend diving to deeper ends just to capture some shots.
LiVe & LeT's DiVe
mauimugen
Diver
Diver

Return to Accidents and Incidents