MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: DIVER DIED IN AUR 29TH AUGUST 2008

Re: DIVER DIED IN AUR 29TH AUGUST 2008

DIVER DIED IN AUR 29TH AUGUST 2008

Post Number:#1  Postby Nitrogen addict » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:51 pm

Please anybody with knowledge of this accident? female diver from sabah died in Aur
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#2  Postby sepet » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:32 pm

:sad10:
Last edited by sepet on Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sepet
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby Snafu » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:26 pm

Is very difficult to get information when things like this happen, divers are not willing to talk or discuss about it.

Same goes with Dive centre & Dive Shop  :laughing11:

[-( Talk about diving accident..death ...chamber treatment....is a taboo subject.

Even instructors are willing to lie about treatment for business  :laughing11:

Anyway hope something good will turn out of this event.

To the parties involved,

Sorry for the losses & hope you all learn something from it.

:)
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#4  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:01 pm

The victim is a chinese male. Origins, i don't know.
Incident happened on the 29th August 2008. The victim was found around 1700 hrs.
Location of the incident is Pulau Pinang.
He was found missing when a headcount was done before leaving the area.
Who was the buddy? I don't know
After several rounds of seaching in hope of him drifting out to the open sea, it was suggested to search underwater.
2 teams consisting of snorkellers and skin divers. A total of 6 people as I counted.

this are the facts.
lets not speculate as a lot of things are not 1st hand information. and as for what actually happened i guess only god knows.

May he rest in peace.
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#5  Postby Yan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:07 pm

thanx for clarifying the matter..... may we learn from this tragedy......
of all the things that i have lost....i miss my mind the most
Yan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby reen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:02 pm

i'm always afraid when it comes to headcount..especially when the dives
involve more than 10 divers
reen

Post Number:#7  Postby chelsea » Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:15 pm

Yes... KimSeng, I'm agree with you.

We should let him rest in peace, especially not to discuss the issue on the island.
chelsea
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby mocha » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:07 pm

chelsea wrote:

We should let him rest in peace, especially not to discuss the issue on the island.

yes, we should let him rest in peace.... but it shouldn't stop us from discussing any incidents on the island... this is the attitude that most divers/operators/government agency take... i think we can discuss without getting the victim(s) involved... am sure forumers a matured enuf...
just take this accident as a reminder or taking it as lesson so that it won't happen again... we never heard of 'case studies' involving divers in m'sia....afterall, if we dun learn from the 'past', who do we learn it from???

p/s: just my personal 2 cents worth and am not replying as a MOD!!

btw chelsea, since this is your first post, would be great if you could do a short intro... am sure we all would like to formally welcome u to this forum... welcome to MUW..... cheers....
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby Kat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:22 pm

I am so sorry to hear about this news. God it shocked me. Guess all of us have to take the safety measures and precautions to the limit in order for these kind of accident to not happen again. Be careful people and may he rest in peace.

-Kat
Live a fulfilling life. Therefore, lets dive dive dive! =D =D =D
Kat
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Scoot » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:42 pm

mocha wrote:
chelsea wrote:

yes, we should let him rest in peace.... but it shouldn't stop us from discussing any incidents on the island... this is the attitude that most divers/operators/government agency take... i think we can discuss without getting the victim(s) involved... am sure forumers a matured enuf...
just take this accident as a reminder or taking it as lesson so that it won't happen again... we never heard of 'case studies' involving divers in m'sia....afterall, if we dun learn from the 'past', who do we learn it from???

p/s: just my personal 2 cents worth and am not replying as a MOD!!

btw chelsea, since this is your first post, would be great if you could do a short intro... am sure we all would like to formally welcome u to this forum... welcome to MUW..... cheers....

first of all i would like to say my condolences and may him rest in peace.

I agree that we need to discuss abt the safety that may involved all the divers during any trip.
1)what is the objective of the dive...
2)did we have a proper briefing before we jump in...
3)should the organizer stop the divers that may result other divers in danger....

i believe that we can have a safer dive plan in future and not wait till any accidents or incidents to happen.

Scoot
Scoot
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby mauimugen » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:49 pm

My Condolences to the parties involved.....
Buddy system is always the most important in safety diving....
LiVe & LeT's DiVe
mauimugen
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby sis_scubachix » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:25 pm

huh...Death...?? *pengsan*

if i imagined me on the same boat.  Confirm... I keras...& cannot continue my dives. {{{Too shocked }}} .

This is Serious ...dive disaster.

May he rest in peaces.Amin...
><(((º> - . _ . - ¯`- . _ . - ¯`- ><(((º> - . _ . - ¯`- . _ . - ¯`- ><(((º>
Add me at FACEBOOK: Sis Dunnoehue
sis_scubachix
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Arewhere » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:12 am

:crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2: :sad10:

may he rest in peace.....
" SO OTHERS MAY DIVES"
Arewhere
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:46 am

lets keep this thread clean and for condolences only.

if there is to be a discussion please proceed to create a new thread.
Sex is like math...
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#15  Postby sealion » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:50 am

Scoot wrote:
first of all i would like to say my condolences and may him rest in peace.

I agree that we need to discuss abt the safety that may involved all the divers during any trip.
1)what is the objective of the dive...
2)did we have a proper briefing before we jump in...
3)should the organizer stop the divers that may result other divers in danger....

i believe that we can have a safer dive plan in future and not wait till any accidents or incidents to happen.

Scoot

Hi scoot, nice to here from you! I,m agree of what you said.

mauimugen wrote:My Condolences to the parties involved.....
Buddy system is always the most important in safety diving....

yes I'm agree 100%. If you buddy lost, try to find him/her for 1 min. If fail, surface.
I'm not that GOOD!
But I do have an ATTITUDE! He! He!
sealion
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:27 pm

As the nature of this topic is more for discussion rather than of a memoriam for the demised, and that we do not know who he is, and that there are important lessons to be learnt from here, I am moving this to an appropriate thread.

Thank you.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#17  Postby nanda666 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm

I got this when I googled "dive accidents + Malaysia" and thought it was good advice from www.Scubazone.com.my:

While scuba diving accidents are few and far between, there are some basic principles that all divers should know, in order that we may become more conscientious and responsible divers - as well as to keep us diving safely.

1. Familiarize yourself with new dive equipment prior to making the dive. Make sure everything fits and is working properly. Always conduct a pre-dive safety check. It is unbelievably common that divers forget to turn their air supply on. The same principle of knowing your personal dive limits extends to your equipment as well. Know the limits of your dive gear. For example, a safety sausage - not many people who own one know how to use one. When do you deploy it? At what depth? How do you prevent entanglement?

2. Safe diving begins before you even enter the water. Good dive planning isn't just for experienced divers - it is an important skill to learn and master right from the very beginning. If you have any concerns, voice them. Speak up. If you don't know, or if you are unsure about something, ask. Resolve your stress (or perception of stress, as is most often the case) prior to entering the water, and don't let anyone dismiss your concerns as unimportant or insignificant. A good way to gauge this would be - if you're not having fun, don't dive.

3. Although we always recommend diving with a buddy, this does not mean you let your buddy make the decisions for you about whether or not the dive is within your limits and abilities. Following your buddy or your divemaster into an environment for which you have not been trained, or with which you are not comfortable, is a recipe for disaster.

4. All divers know that they have a safe ascent rate which they should not exceed. Most divers forget about the descent. I have lost count of the number of times I have seen divers crash into the bottom on their initial descent. This is not only dangerous to the diver, it also damages the environment.

5. If you intend to dive with a dive computer, learn how to use it. Read the manual and learn all its features and symbols. Don't be like the diver who ascended after a dive and asked, "What does ERR on my dive computer mean?" Having said that, do not allow the dive computer to give you a false sense of security. Dive computers are a piece of technology, and like all others, it can break down. Don't turn off your common sense when you turn your dive computer on.

6. We always hear divers talk of physical fitness. However, we also need to consider psychological fitness, which is just as important. This involves learning how to break the cycle of panic caused by anxiety due to a difficult situation. If you can Stop, Breathe, Think and Act in any given situation, you will be better able to help yourself and your buddy.

7. Constantly monitor your bottom time and depth, and the surrounding environment, as they are all prone to change without you realizing it. Just because you can see the surface from where you are does not mean you are at a safe depth. Do not underestimate distance because of good visibility. New divers, in particular, should take great care not to exceed their level of training and experience. Ignoring this can put not just you at risk, but also your dive buddy and others around you.

8. Use the "One Third Rule" when it comes to your air consumption. This is a dependable procedure used by technical divers, as well as divers who do wreck diving, ice diving and cave diving. Use one third of your air supply for your dive, one third for ascent, and leave one third as reserve. This will give you an ample reserve of air for any "just in case" situations.

9. Never underestimate the power of the ocean. When in doubt, abandon the dive, or seek further information or advice from local dive operators. The best diver isn't necessarily the one with all the latest gear, or the one who has done the most dives, or the one who has dived the deepest. The best diver is one who is confident enough to decide that they should not make a dive.

Remember... your safety is your top priority when it comes to diving, and only you can make the decisions for a conscientious and responsible dive profile.
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#18  Postby Nizaha » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:13 pm

Condolences to family and friend.

Safe Diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby Sharkfin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:20 pm

I feel sorry for his family. For all of us diver's, pls do always dive alongside with our buddy, my practice always not less than 2 meter radius & also bring ratle ( both must have )to get buddy attention.

May this incident will make us more careful while diving. God Bless him & may he rest in peace.
Sharkfin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby chelsea » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Mocha,

I’m Kim Seng’s friend and we are on the boat with few Open Water students during the incident.

Maybe there is some misunderstood here. My sentence for “not to discuss the issue on the island”, it is one of Chinese religion that we don’t discuss much at ‘incident place’, so that the victim can ‘rest in peace’. At the mean time, I feel too many discussions will affect other divers’ feelings as well.

Of course, we should take it as lesson so that it won’t happen again.

Thanks,
Chelsea
chelsea
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby fizah83 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:33 pm

may he rest in peace and we learnt sumthing from d incident
fizah83
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby gcg » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:11 am

Hmmmm... I agree with Mocha totally. This incident should be discussed so that the diving community can learn something from it. Fine, respect his death but at least let his death be a teaching to us that diving is always potentially life threatening. We should be adults and address the mistake we make and find solutions to rectify them not to make a the discussion a "whose fault is it". If this is a forum to generate the best among divers then be one rather then make it an obituary corner. This discussion is more important than any other topics in this forum as this is about the death of a diver. Like the questions scoot asked, I think those are important questions to deal with. What actually happened? What was the dive profile like? Any idea as to how he died - any postmortem done? I am sure the organizer or the those on the boat that day would know some facts. Once we answer these questions then we can look at how we can overcome and rectify the unfortunate events that led to the death. The more we hide away from this kind of discussions the more lives of divers are at stake especially the newbies. Not discussing these issues, is just the same as saying that he is totally at fault of his death and nobody else holds any responsibilities to the events that led to his death.There are many safety and maybe ethical issues that can be raised from studying this event, so lets do so!
gcg
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 am

Hi Chelsea,

What Mocha meant was for you to do a proper introduction to all members in the INTRODUCTION thread.  We certainly hope you could tell us more about yourself other than just as Kim Seng's friend.

The link to the thread is http://malaysianunderwater.com/smff/index.php/board,4.0.html

Thank you.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#24  Postby Mabel & Yon » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:48 am

Definitely a good reminder to all divers, experienced or new, to take safety as the first rule in diving.
Thanks, nanda666, for the good advice posted, and agree with Mocha and gcg that sad though it be, it should be discussed in this forum so that we can all learn to be more competent divers, whatever our level or qualifications.
Heartfelt condolences to his loved ones.
Mabel & Yon
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby erysyah » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 am

we can learnt something from this incident.Not because we want to condemn hin or his buddy but as a precaution to others.
we always hear about the danger in diving.but we didn't know the exact situation.
we have to take example from the real story happen so that everybody can at least avoid to repeat the same mistake.

we can, maybe should discuss this (but not to touch the late personally) as this will benefit to the other divers esp. the fresh divers.
i'm broke.. how to go dive?
erysyah
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#26  Postby babyFin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:27 am

Condolence..and may he rest in peace.
atleast its a good reminder for us..dive safe.

:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#27  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:28 am

I would rather incline to think this is an issue of sensitivity to the departed. By examining HIS death it is up to anyone to speculate. AND speculation in my opinion is NO respect to him at all.
I was on the same boat as he was, I was involved in the search for him and being doen that I honestly don't know what actually happened to him. That is why I only gave the details of what I saw, in order that no "salt & vinegar" (chinese proverb for gossip/speculation) is added in.

If there were to be a discussion on what can lead to a death of a diver, yes please do go ahead but do not put in specific references.

Imagine the horror of the family seeing his death being glorified by spin doctors who were not even at the scene. Which is unfortunately the case of keyboard hero's who only can type but no action. Lets talk facts when addressing issues involving a person. Respect the deceased!!
Sex is like math...
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#28  Postby rid » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:31 am

Condolences to the family and may he rest in peace.
+ nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so +
rid
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#29  Postby Scoot » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:13 am

kimseng the maverick rogue wrote:I would rather incline to think this is an issue of sensitivity to the departed. By examining HIS death it is up to anyone to speculate. AND speculation in my opinion is NO respect to him at all.
I was on the same boat as he was, I was involved in the search for him and being doen that I honestly don't know what actually happened to him. That is why I only gave the details of what I saw, in order that no "salt & vinegar" (chinese proverb for gossip/speculation) is added in.

If there were to be a discussion on what can lead to a death of a diver, yes please do go ahead but do not put in specific references.

Imagine the horror of the family seeing his death being glorified by spin doctors who were not even at the scene. Which is unfortunately the case of keyboard hero's who only can type but no action. Lets talk facts when addressing issues involving a person. Respect the deceased!!

I agree with u Kimseng that to continue the discussion on what happen to the deceased is an issue of sensitivity.

What i want to express myself here is that on this trip,we are lack on safety.
We both noe what we saw on that boat that very day.
We all saw the tears in every each divers eyes....
This is actually my 1st trip with MUWs and we don't expect accident to happen this way...
But we can prevent this from happening in future.
Scoot
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#30  Postby nanda666 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:30 am

Scoot wrote:
What i want to express myself here is that on this trip,we are lack on safety.
We both noe what we saw on that boat that very day.

I think the issue here is that you have first hand information from actually being there when the incident took place. We don't want any of you to speculate or add "gossip" but tell us what you mean by your statement above so that we can prevent similar occurance.

Pls do not let sensitivity or cultural differences effect the possibility of saving lives in the future.

My sincere condolences to the family.
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Next

Return to Accidents and Incidents