MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Ferry safety in Tioman

Ferry safety in Tioman

Ferry safety in Tioman

Post Number:#1  Postby nanda666 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:02 pm

This was the scene on my ride back from Tioman Island to Mersing using the Bluewater ferry.

The "additional seating arrangements" were again out in full force in the form of red plastic chairs all along the aisles.

There was also convenient "standing space" provided for foreign tourist too!!!

I screamed at the operator only to get a blank stare in return.

In honesty, the trip started out well as we were about to pull out of the jetty at Salang at 10am, an enforcement officer actually explained to passengers that the ferry was at its maximum capacity and they had to disembark. He told them to get on the 11am ferry arriving an hour later. The pasengers did complain but understanding that it was for everyones safety, they complied.
All good and fine and we departed for Mersing. (Leaving the enforcement officer behind at Salang Jetty.) The next stop....Tekek Jetty...without the enforcement officer......
I bet you can guess what happens next and let just leave it as "A photo speak a thousand words".
It truely left me feeling disgusted. Families were boarding with little children and knowing very well that the ferry was full, the operator just picked up and handed out the plastic stools without a care in the world!!

I wanted to scream, " IF THIS FERRY SINKS, YOUR KIDS WILL SURELY DIE LAAAAA!!!!"

The question that are always playing on my mind are:

"Who's at fault???"
Is it the operator trying to maximize returns????
Or is the passengers who are willing to risk it rather than wait for the next ferry????
Is it the enforcement of the safety regulation??

And:

How often have you guys ended up in this situation?
What can we do????? [-( [-(
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 5

Re: Ferry safety in Tioman

Post Number:#2  Postby jgshuwei » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:13 pm

Why don't you get down from the ferry at Tekek?
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:07 pm

nanda666 wrote:This was the scene on my ride back from Tioman Island to Mersing using the Bluewater ferry.

"A photo speak a thousand words".

You have your ammunition. Copy the photos to the relevant authorities. Send them to the newspapers.  After all, a year this month that a ferry went down in flames, killing several people? It's news to people.

Do the public some justice. This coming weekend is another long weekend - and if you do not do anything with the ammunition that you have, there is that potential for more loss of life in the making.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#4  Postby Snafu » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:47 am

nanda666 wrote:The question that are always playing on my mind are:

"Who's at fault???"
Is it the operator trying to maximize returns????
Or is the passengers who are willing to risk it rather than wait for the next ferry????
Is it the enforcement of the safety regulation??

And:

How often have you guys ended up in this situation?

Yes the Operator trying to maximize return.

Most passengers dont think about safety, that is why the passengers are still on board when the ferry is over loaded.

We have safety regulation for passenger boat & ferry as per on the board in every boat & ferry.

Enforcement is hard because they are also friends with the operator.

During weekends & Public Holiday...this things happen all the time, nothing new for many2 years.

What can we do?...report to the authorities with photos.

Dont waste your breath by telling the Operator as they are not interested to know anything.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby nanda666 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:49 am

I've sent the similar story with the photos to the Sun and the Star.

The Sun called me up to verify the date on the incident.

jgshuwei wrote:Why don't you get down from the ferry at Tekek?

I actually asked myself that question tooo... :( I tried to justify it by saying that the exits were block, my bags we at the bottom of the pile, etc, etc but actually, I wanted to get home too!!  :( :(
And I wasn't convinced that by getting off and waiting for the 11am ferry, that the situation will be any different!!!  :angry4: :angry4:

But you're right jgshuwei, I should have got off, made a lot of noise, asked for refund, etc, to prove a point!!!  :$ :$
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:54 am

To be fair to the operator, I was on the 4.30pm ferry to Mersing.  There was also another ferry at Tekek. On top of that, they had their speedboats out to pick up those who'd wanted to get to Mersing pronto, and kept the numbers at 12-15 depending on the number of OBMs installed.  Although the ferry was full, all pax were made to write their name on the manifest, and no plastic chairs were distributed.  Maybe they have been told to abide by the rules and regulations.

However, you did the right thing to highlight the complacency of both the operators and enforcement officers.  I hope more care is taken by both operators and enforcement officers this coming weekend and in the future.

Kudos to you, Nanda, for highlighting this issue.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#7  Postby nanda666 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:53 pm

Thanks for moving the post SD. Sorry I posted in the wrong place...didn't see this spot!! :$
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby MUW » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:10 pm

A respond from the Ketua Pengarah Jabatan Laut Malaysia

Assalamualaikum

Terlebih dahulu saya mengucapkan terima kasih diatas usaha pihak tuan memanjangkan aduan berhubung “Ferry Safety in Tioman” yang telah dibincangkan dilaman web malaysian underwater.com. Pihak kami memandang berat perkara ini dan telah/ sedang mengambil tindakan pro-actif bagi mengelakkan berulangnya peristiwa SEAGULL II yang telah meragut tujuh nyawa tahun lepas.

Kerjasama penumpang-penumpang yang turun dari feri berkenaan di jeti Salang amat kami hargai demi keselamatan. Feri berkenaan sepatutnya belayar terus ke Mersing tanpa singgah di jeti Tekek kerana telah penuh. Walaubagaimana pun nakhoda feri berkenaan tidak mematuhi arahan pegawai penguatkuasa di Salang dan telah singgah di Tekek dan memuat penumpang yang lain. Kami akan mengambil tindakan sewajarnya keatas nakhoda serta pengusaha feri berkenaan.

Keadaan yang membahayakan ini wujud kerana sikap nakhoda/pengusaha feri serta sikap penumpang yang tidak menghiraukan keselamatan. Pihak kami telah mengadakan kempen keselamatan serta penguatkuasaan bersepadu dengan agensi-agensi kerajaan yang lain untuk memberi kesedaran kepada pengguna serta pengusaha. Nampaknya, lebih banyak yang perlu dilaksanakan “to educate the public” untuk meningkatkan kesedaran berhubung keselamatan. Dengan kerjasama serta bantuan dari pengguna seperti tuan, pihak kami akan meneruskan usaha tersebut sehingga mencapai matlamat yang telah disasarkan, insyAllah.

Sekian, terima kasih.

DATO' KAPT. AHMAD BIN OTHMAN
Ketua Pengarah,
Jabatan Laut Semenanjung Malaysia.
MUW
Administrator
Administrator

Topics: 1

Post Number:#9  Postby nanda666 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:22 am

Great stuff guys!!!  :) :)

The Sun ran my letter today too!!

Let's hope it all made a difference to the ferry services from now on.
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 am

:icon_thumleft: Goodlah you Nanda. Finally we see someone who saw something wrong and did the necessary.

This is what we can call TALK WITH ACTION, which is a great change from the NATO fellas :icon_salut:

Keep it up please - for all of us.
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#11  Postby JD » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Way to go Nanda...hats of to you... :icon_thumright:
Do whatever you want to do.You only have one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.
JD
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby IkanBilis » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:20 pm

Fabulous!! After this, for sure the people will get together and hold a GATT Conference - General Agreement to Talk and Talk..
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#13  Postby Nizaha » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:02 pm

Hi

Finally someone stand up.. Thanks Nanda.  salute on myside.

Safe Diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Return to Accidents and Incidents