MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diver Missing At The Repulse

Diver Missing At The Repulse

Diver Missing At The Repulse

Post Number:#1  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm

This happened towards the end of May.  Two divers from the LOB MV Mata Ikan went down and went separately. At the end of the dive, one diver surfaced with another group of divers from the same LOB, but the other went missing.  Initial search for him was fruitless.  However, the body of the diver, Wade from the UK, was found yesterday by a local dive operator stuck on some fish nets near the props with some air left in his tanks.

There is no coverage of the accident in the UK news.  But we have a report here locally on China Press http://www.chinapress.com.my/content_new.asp?dt=2008-05-29&sec=malaysia&art=0529mb54.txt

Yes, dive accidents do get reported, but they are not as important as a Bangladeshi contract worker being burnt to death by roommates. :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Re: Diver Missing At The Repulse

Post Number:#2  Postby GeoLink » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi SeaDemon,

Is two divers or a group of 13 tech divers? Saw this news but would like to know the following details.
thanks for your update ;)
Tonight Im tangled in my blanket of clouds
Dreaming aloud Things just wont do without you, matter of fact Im on your back, Im on your back, Im on your back
GeoLink
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby alvinsktan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Seademon,

heard say the diver belong to a group of 13 British Royal Navy tech diver send to survey on the wreck grave. Tried to find more information on this but all major NEWS agency is not reporting it. There is word from some Navy ppl say the guy did penetration and FAIL to surface. might encounter some problem on the way out.

Cheers
:p
It's Now or Never...
Dive Deep, Dive Hard and Live SAFE......
alvinsktan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby jgshuwei » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:38 am

SD, since when you read China Press huh?

Any fatal news in diving will make ppl think diving is dangerous, what can we do as diver?

May the British Diver RIP.
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#5  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:43 am

Err, which SD are you referring to? Uncle SD or Old Man SD???

Yes, May your soul REST IN PEACE fellow diver, whatever your nationality, whatever your purpose, whatever your mission and most importantly, whatever went wrong. God Bless..
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#6  Postby Snafu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:12 am

jgshuwei wrote:Any fatal news in diving will make ppl think diving is dangerous, what can we do as diver?

We can start putting it up in MUW for all to read & as a reminder...for a start.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:10 am

alvinsktan wrote:Seademon,

heard say the diver belong to a group of 13 British Royal Navy tech diver send to survey on the wreck grave. Tried to find more information on this but all major NEWS agency is not reporting it. There is word from some Navy ppl say the guy did penetration and FAIL to surface. might encounter some problem on the way out.

Cheers
:p

The deceased was not from the Royal Navy.  As it is, he was found stuck to some fishing nets that covered the props area.

jgshuwei wrote:SD, since when you read China Press huh?

Any fatal news in diving will make ppl think diving is dangerous, what can we do as diver?

jgshuwei,

I've been taking up Mandarin class (including reading and writing the characters and not just hanyu pinyin) just to add another notch to my foreign language capability.  But formal learning without the teacher teaching me all the swear words first can be quite uninteresting.  I now also read Cyrillic, Arabic, Chinese and Thai.

I agree with Syed KA that by putting it up here will enable all of us to stay safe by learning from the incident.  We read about road fatalities everyday yet we still hammer our vehicles down the roads like Mad Max. :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:43 pm

jgshuwei wrote:SD, since when you read China Press huh?

Diving IS dangerous as also driving. We must not forget that fact. It how we manage our diving to minimise the risk is the key to safety.

Thought to ponder...basic safety in driving is always wear a seat belt...and how many people fail to comprehand the concept behind it?
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby Divejohor » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:44 am

I think guys ..no matter how experienced your are do not push the limits and stay save by doing so
Divejohor
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#10  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:00 am

Yup! Don't become Rambo when underwater. Dive safe and dive another day..
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Return to Accidents and Incidents