MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diver died in Pulau Dayang

Diver died in Pulau Dayang

Diver died in Pulau Dayang

Post Number:#1  Postby jgshuwei » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:38 pm

Anyone know anything about this incident happened in the house reef? Heard one Singaporean diver hit by propeller on Saturday night during night dive. 
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topic author

Re: Diver died in Pulau Dayang

Post Number:#2  Postby Snafu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:48 am

OoooOo poor diver..do update us if you have more information.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#3  Postby Nizaha » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:38 am

Sad news

Condolences to family divers..Hopefully the official report coming out soon.

Safe Diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Snafu » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:25 am

Nizaha wrote:

Sad news

Safe Diving
Zaha

Official reports?? ... very difficult Zaha, this part of the world ...if divers died or accident happen they the dive operator will treat it like it does not exist.

If diver died or bends/DCS ...all must be in silent so it wont effect the Diving Business, it NEVER happen.

Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby Nizaha » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:41 am

Syed K. A. wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

Sad news

Safe Diving
Zaha

Official reports?? ... very difficult Zaha, this part of the world ...if divers died or accident happen they the dive operator will treat it like it does not exist.

If diver died or bends/DCS ...all must be in silent so it wont effect the Diving Business, it NEVER happen.

I'm Glad my family doesn't involved in diving..!!!

What happen if someone you really know involved into diving accident.. Still keep quite??

Safe diving
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby GeoLink » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:29 pm

This is very sad news. One of my friend was presented but into another dive group.
Rest In peace
Tonight Im tangled in my blanket of clouds
Dreaming aloud Things just wont do without you, matter of fact Im on your back, Im on your back, Im on your back
GeoLink
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby simoncsm » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:28 pm

RIP
simoncsm
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Sicko » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:22 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

Sad news

Safe Diving
Zaha

There should at least be some sort of coroner's inquiry right? So that can be some sort of official report. Unless the coroner & the certifying doctor is bribed to record the cause of death as something else???
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:36 pm

Sicko wrote:
Syed K. A. wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

Sad news

Safe Diving
Zaha

There should at least be some sort of coroner's inquiry right? So that can be some sort of official report. Unless the coroner & the certifying doctor is bribed to record the cause of death as something else???

Sicko, yes there will be a coroner's inquiry and a post-mortem report, the usual questioning as to what had happen if they could find the boat that hit him; but in-depth inquiry? The answer is NO.  There is no one body that advises on scuba safety in Malaysia to assist in investigations and safety recommendations.  So diving deaths and accidents will normally get listed as 'misadventures'.

But there have been cases of prop/boat hits that have been brought to court because there's enough evidence.  Even in cases of deaths or injuries in the case of swimmers/riders being hit by jet-skis.  I've been to court twice as a witness to two separate jet-ski incidents.

So Snafu's answer may be an exaggeration.  Too much X-Files...hehehe  :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#10  Postby Sicko » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:58 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:
Sicko wrote:
Syed K. A. wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

Sad news

Safe Diving
Zaha

Sicko, yes there will be a coroner's inquiry and a post-mortem report, the usual questioning as to what had happen if they could find the boat that hit him; but in-depth inquiry? The answer is NO.  There is no one body that advises on scuba safety in Malaysia to assist in investigations and safety recommendations.  So diving deaths and accidents will normally get listed as 'misadventures'.

But there have been cases of prop/boat hits that have been brought to court because there's enough evidence.  Even in cases of deaths or injuries in the case of swimmers/riders being hit by jet-skis.  I've been to court twice as a witness to two separate jet-ski incidents.

So Snafu's answer may be an exaggeration.  Too much X-Files...hehehe  :D :D :D :D :D

Sad news........ my sincere condolences to the bereaved family.
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby Sicko » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 pm

John F SeaDemon wrote:
Sicko wrote:
Syed K. A. wrote:
Nizaha wrote:

Sad news

Safe Diving
Zaha

;) :D :D
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby trigger fish » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:14 pm

Sad to hear of such tragic incident  :sad10: :sad10:
trigger fish
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby mocha » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:18 pm

any details?? RIP
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#14  Postby bockbong » Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:07 pm

Looks like none of us knew/heard anything about it until now  [-(
bockbong
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 2

Post Number:#15  Postby alvinsktan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm

guys....

THIS is MALAYSIA... all NEWS agency does not treat the NEWS as important (coz would be no possible high reader except divers like us, wanna know what actually went wrong and learn from it hopefully it will not happen to us la... ) hehehe...

Alternatively this short of NEWS is BLINDED by the govt. as it will effect the total tourism industry as a whole.

my 2 cents worth...
:p
It's Now or Never...
Dive Deep, Dive Hard and Live SAFE......
alvinsktan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Daniel Lim » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:24 pm

:crybaby2: :crybaby2: :crybaby2:
Daniel Lim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby Invisibleshark » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:29 pm

hmm :crybaby2: sorry to hear that ,if onli the SMB deploy ????!!!!!
Dive now - Work later
Invisibleshark
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby scubadin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:06 pm

I've been diving Dayang waters since year 2001, at one point almost every weekend .. glad I don't do that anymore.. ...here's my 2 cents..

Night Dive at Jetty/ Dayang Housereef should not be allowed... There's too much boat traffics.. Imagine 200+ divers per weekend and 80% of them go out for nite dives on various site using big boat...

Unlimited dives being offered by resort operator...divers are trying to push their dive number to the max..Confined water being conduct at Dayang Island channel where currents are strong, then straight for OW training.  Even one of SG dc adopted this slogan for their dive ops ' Die -die must dive'.... 

So sad this happen... If only higher safety standard would be adopted...rather than lowering the price in expense of standard .. Diving is not about quantity , it's the quality & experience that counts .. 

Cheers,
Din
scubadin
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby Snafu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 am

Nizaha wrote:I'm Glad my family doesn't involved in diving..!!!

What happen if someone you really know involved into diving accident.. Still keep quite??

Safe diving
Zaha

Zaha: Good question...for me I would put it up & hope others will learn from it.

I agree with Alvinstan...protect the tourism in Malaysia.

SeaDemon: No,not an exaggeration from my side, as I was involved with actual diving incident investigation...as for X-File  :laughing11: I know you like it very much  ;)

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#20  Postby chocolate » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 am

my condolences to the diver's family.

accident can happen. anywhere, anytime. it must be a reason and I guess, all of us are waiting for an explaination. i was there, in the sister island, and i have listened to the full version of this accident. anyway, i will let the senior to explain this. yes, please uncle hussain ;)

the most i regret about this incident was there is no emergency treatment available should there any need arise. the klinik desa in kampung teluk berhala, pulau aur is very in poor medical supply, and no trained doctor standby, especially in emergency and accident, mainly in diving activity.

dayang and aur are very famous among the divers, mostly from singapore. but, with this limited medical accessibility in certain tourist spots, it will jeopardize our tourism. it is the time, again, for the government, to enhance the safety awareness and amenity in emergency and medical treatment in islands that provide dive sport, in order to promote our good name in tourism industry.

oh, juz arrived after about 6 hours journey from aur island. need to go to bed now. good night!
the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time good chocolate ;)
chocolate
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby Snafu » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:35 am

chocolate wrote:my condolences to the diver's family.

accident can happen. anywhere, anytime. it must be a reason and I guess, all of us are waiting for an explaination. i was there, in the sister island, and i have listened to the full version of this accident. anyway, i will let the senior to explain this. yes, please uncle hussain ;)

the most i regret about this incident was there is no emergency treatment available should there any need arise. the klinik desa in kampung teluk berhala, pulau aur is very in poor medical supply, and no trained doctor standby, especially in emergency and accident, mainly in diving activity.

dayang and aur are very famous among the divers, mostly from singapore. but, with this limited medical accessibility in certain tourist spots, it will jeopardize our tourism. it is the time, again, for the government, to enhance the safety awareness and amenity in emergency and medical treatment in islands that provide dive sport, in order to promote our good name in tourism industry.

oh, juz arrived after about 6 hours journey from aur island. need to go to bed now. good night!

Thanks for the info & hope someone from Tourism are reading this.

:)
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#22  Postby urchin » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 am

we was at aur during the accident happen sat night(sabtu mlm minggu), (singapore group)take away the body never inform to Pulau Aur Police Post. 30 minit left pulau Dayang with BW ferry  the diver inst pass  away serious injury.

that information i can share to you all lah.
urchin
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#23  Postby Leafy » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:44 pm

alvinsktan wrote:guys....

THIS is MALAYSIA... all NEWS agency does not treat the NEWS as important (coz would be no possible high reader except divers like us, wanna know what actually went wrong and learn from it hopefully it will not happen to us la... ) hehehe...

Alternatively this short of NEWS is BLINDED by the govt. as it will effect the total tourism industry as a whole.

my 2 cents worth...

I disagree with this notion, if there are people trying to cover up the incidents, then that would be the people directly involved in the incidents such as probably the boat owner, the DC or the trip organiser himself/herself and therefor the Govt as a whole can't be blamed for such single incident. Blanketing a blame like that won't do anything good, neither it gives any comforts reading it.

As an organization, though not formalized in ROS - MUW (or any other bodies representing the dive industry) should be taking the responsibility as the news "agency" to disseminate this information and perhaps instigate further investigations etc etc. and maybe even set a standard to be seriously adhered by all parties. The dive community should be the one setting the rules, taking the actions and getting the news around... when we are serious about protecting our safety then the "real" news agency would too.

Anywhere in the world, that is how it's done.

... just my .02 cents worth of opinion from the increased petrol cost.
--
Website : http://www.leafbug.org “Don’t tell the story if you don’t have the pictures” - National Geographic
Leafy
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby alvinsktan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:35 pm

leafbug wrote:
alvinsktan wrote:guys....

my 2 cents worth...

I disagree with this notion, if there are people trying to cover up the incidents, then that would be the people directly involved in the incidents such as probably the boat owner, the DC or the trip organiser himself/herself and therefor the Govt as a whole can't be blamed for such single incident. Blanketing a blame like that won't do anything good, neither it gives any comforts reading it.

As an organization, though not formalized in ROS - MUW (or any other bodies representing the dive industry) should be taking the responsibility as the news "agency" to disseminate this information and perhaps instigate further investigations etc etc. and maybe even set a standard to be seriously adhered by all parties. The dive community should be the one setting the rules, taking the actions and getting the news around... when we are serious about protecting our safety then the "real" news agency would too.

Anywhere in the world, that is how it's done.

... just my .02 cents worth of opinion from the increased petrol cost.

Totaly AGREE in some point of this. but if we look into this. I was wondering why is the Coast Guard and Police is not inform on this?

as said by urchin (which is at site at point of incident) the body or injurd person is taken away without the knowledge of the police and coast guard. any those which taken away the body or not reporting the incident initially are not apprenhended. this is consider MURDER or at least homocide (did some law during my schooling day). the diver might be alive if he/she is bring to the police post for emergency transportation. at least i believe the police post would know a nearest doctor who is on island. If this is taken lightly this is a very serious case.

Dive Center and Dive Boat Operator is also another one playing an important role in this. i'm also puzzle why did not the DM report the injury or death as soon as possible?

I believe we all have read, hear and seen a lot of MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENT which happen on ground. but let's ask ourself why is dive related accident is not reported in papers? on another thread J F SeaDemon reported that Sin Chew covered a diver missing and dead off Repulse. why ot the other news agency? or at least bernama?

my 0.00005 cents.... petrol too high.. no petrol to type anymore...

Cheers..
It's Now or Never...
alvinsktan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:50 pm

My question is was the diver dead or still alive when he was brought out of the water?
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#26  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:00 pm

And my question is how can we avoid such accidents in the future?
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#27  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:13 pm

Accidents can will happen and will continue to do so. All we can hope is that all parties exercise some accountability for their actions and then, for the rest of us is common sense, proper training and making the right decisions. I am in no position to say what happened as I wasn't there but this isn't the first accident and will be far from the last and will our Malaysian Authorities do anything about this?? Let's wait and see..... anybody want to place some bets??
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#28  Postby alvinsktan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:18 pm

Scuba Dynamics wrote:My question is was the diver dead or still alive when he was brought out of the water?

Uncle Henry,

The best person to answer this is POLIS alternativelty know as PDRM. hahaha....

Cheers
It's Now or Never...
alvinsktan
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:07 pm

In all fairness, was the police informed of the death or accident?  Until now we are all saying that "I heard that" and "I heard this" but no report was ever made.  Now if the injured diver was taken away by his group, how was the police supposed to act?

I don't know how China Press picked up that news about the incident at the Repulse but no other news agency picked it up - not Bernama, not AFP, not CNN, not MSNBC, not Fox, not even the deceased home country's BBC.

So to the question of whether the deceased was dead or alive when he was brought out of water, only his friends and group can answer that.  Not the police.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Absolutely correct but I suppose that at that time, everyone, especially the DM / Tour Leader / Organiser/s were scared sh*%less and forgot all about procedures while the others were more concerned about pushing the blame to any and everyone else....
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Next

Return to Accidents and Incidents