MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#61  Postby penyelamalam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:34 am

i guess when someone merged all the 3 topics together, the issues at hand became muddled. I dun care if those divers complained...i was camre more of looking forward to safe boat trips for my dives in the future.
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#62  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:06 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:i guess when someone merged all the 3 topics together, the issues at hand became muddled. I dun care if those divers complained...i was camre more of looking forward to safe boat trips for my dives in the future.

Elderlies will not make plans on their own. Especially if it is their first trip. There is always someone in the family who would plan for them. At least once in their lifetime, any of these people, be it the younger ones or elder ones, would have gone somewhere else during a long weekend such as that one, and would have known that popular destinations would be jam-packed. They would also have known someone who would have known what Tioman conditions, driving conditions, would be like during these times.  I'm sure they would also have gone to Genting Highlands or Cameron Highlands during these times to know what it is going to be like.

So make the choice.

Maybe those who complain about overcrowding of ferries want to see what the Transport Ministry has allowed the Road Transport Department to do during festive seasons: licence the fishing boats, tugboats and what-have-you's to carry passengers as well.  It would not be economically-viable for a ferry company to buy more ferries just for use during festive seasons while they lie idle collecting algae and barnacles during off-season.

Be rational.

Maybe some would say "increase the frequency of the ferries."  Fine. It takes three hours turnaround time for a ferry to make the trip to and fro...excluding wait time: waiting for passengers to board and alight, waiting for refuelling exercise etc.  Let's put it at four. From 7am to 7pm, how many trips can a ferry make if tidal conditions remain constant?

Run at night? Would you pay RM150 for a room if you arrive at the island at 10pm? And you can hardly see flotsams during the day, what more at night? Safety is always an issue.

If you are concerned about your safety, make a choice of destination. Find a less-crowded destination.  Else, blame the organiser too, for not caring enough for the elderly and taking them to the island during a super-peak season.

Then again, some drunk might just decide to ram his car into yours on your way to anywhere.

Me, I adopt a stance accepting the fact that if I drive out to the nearest petrol station, there is a high chance I may not come back alive. So I make a choice of reducing that chance myself and not wait for a policeman to analyse the breath of all drivers passing in front of that petrol station, or blame the government for not having a policeman to check every single vehicle.

While the operator was only maximising their chance at making money, the people who made the choice to board the ferry knowing very much likely it would be overcrowded are equally at blame too.

Otherwise, accept that risk and do what Atuk did: keep an eye on the lifejackets and exits in case.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#63  Postby penyelamalam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:24 pm

in the case of the family members who perished in the ferry /explosion/fire/sinking. they came in a group of more than 20..and i suppose all of them have valid tickets..when u have such a big group, u have herd mentality..I doubt they will think that it'll be better to stay a night in Mersing or wait for the next ferry..

From the pics in the NST, it seems that those smiling guys were sitting in front of the exit,albiet blocked by luggages.And i suppose their dive gear(bcd) are with them as well.

Let me repeat again that i am not here to argue, i am just merely pointing out the facts that not many ppl haev the right mindset to make those supposedly correct choices...Sometimes we only say "d.amn i should have done that instead of this " when the s.hit hits the fan...not when we're actually doing the act.
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#64  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:36 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:in the case of the family members who perished in the ferry /explosion/fire/sinking. they came in a group of more than 20..and i suppose all of them have valid tickets..when u have such a big group, u have herd mentality..I doubt they will think that it'll be better to stay a night in Mersing or wait for the next ferry..

From the pics in the NST, it seems that those smiling guys were sitting in front of the exit,albiet blocked by luggages.And i suppose their dive gear(bcd) are with them as well.

Let me repeat again that i am not here to argue, i am just merely pointing out the facts that not many ppl haev the right mindset to make those supposedly correct choices...Sometimes we only say "d.amn i should have done that instead of this " when the s.hit hits the fan...not when we're actually doing the act.

That is so true, bro. It is sad. But indifference also plays a part, as well as complacency on all parties involved: passengers included.

Always plan for the worst-case scenario. I would rather be known as a coward pessimist than a dead optimist.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#65  Postby Atuk » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:55 pm

Me, all I'm advocating is professionalism from the service providers and the authorities who serves the role as the 'checker'... let's all try to make a vow to give a piece of our mind to them whenever we come across this atrocity, regardless if there was any incident or not.  How? Can do it real time or later... verbally, in writing, email, letters to the press etc, you choose.

About making choices, it's much easier said than done for most.  Just like ppl wanting to balik kampung for Raya putting up with triple-priced tickets but non a/c buses.  Again, all I'm advocating is that the authorities do their job so that the only choice that exist for the passengers is the different time and date of travel to choose from.  Demon's idea of having a booking system is one step towards that and it's not exactly rocket science to have it implemented, right?  I've said it before and I'm saying it again, when things defy common sense, you can bet your a$$ there's ringgit and sens involved.
Atuk
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#66  Postby penyelamalam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:31 pm

great idea atuk..i hope in future more ppl will voice out if they feel something's not right...seems very similar like ppl cutting queues or pretend to be asleep while seated on lrt when they see elderlies or pregnant women... B-)
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#67  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:23 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:great idea atuk..i hope in future more ppl will voice out if they feel something's not right...seems very similar like ppl cutting queues or pretend to be asleep while seated on lrt when they see elderlies or pregnant women... B-)

Ah...I had the experience of unseating several people for a pregnant lady. We boarded the packed LRT and this pregnant lady stood next to me. In front of us were 3 people seated. Two young ladies, and one guy with his i-Pod playing imaginary drums. All pretended not to see this lady. I turned around and farted in their face. One nasty one.

In the end only I sat there.

The pregnant lady sat a minute later. :D :D :D :D :D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#68  Postby SuperKingKong® » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:47 pm

Yuri Yufokov wrote:
rexymexydiver wrote:great idea atuk..i hope in future more ppl will voice out if they feel something's not right...seems very similar like ppl cutting queues or pretend to be asleep while seated on lrt when they see elderlies or pregnant women... B-)

Ah...I had the experience of unseating several people for a pregnant lady. We boarded the packed LRT and this pregnant lady stood next to me. In front of us were 3 people seated. Two young ladies, and one guy with his i-Pod playing imaginary drums. All pretended not to see this lady. I turned around and farted in their face. One nasty one.

... ermm.. yuri.. u very "discussing" lah :D :D
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#69  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:17 pm

SuperKingKong® wrote:
Yuri Yufokov wrote:

... ermm.. yuri.. u very "discussing" lah :D :D

Hahaha..I like you the speaking England...very the powderful  :D :D :D :D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#70  Postby penyelamalam » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Yuri Yufokov wrote:

Yuri, dont u wish u had hantummed some petai before letting go the nasty one? it'll be super nasty....hmmm...maybe too nasty till the whole carriage may get emptied and hazmat ppl could be called in..hahaha :laughing11:
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#71  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:21 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:
Yuri Yufokov wrote:

Yuri, dont u wish u had hantummed some petai before letting go the nasty one? it'll be super nasty....hmmm...maybe too nasty till the whole carriage may get emptied and hazmat ppl could be called in..hahaha :laughing11:

Hahahaha..had I done that, I would've alighted the LRT myself  :D :D :D :D :D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Previous

Return to Accidents and Incidents