MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#31  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:32 pm

rexydiver wrote:
Maha Uparaja Boworn Maha Vichaicharn Phi Thalay na Ayutthaya wrote:
Snafu wrote:When you know the ferry or boat is overcrowded ...why did you board it at the 1st place?

If you are inside & is crowded, you do have a choice ....leave the ferry or the boat.

Dont wait for something bad to happen & then complaint about it .... Take action, the choice is yours.

Safety First & Fun Later.

:D




That thought crossed my mind.  Tioman would be overwhelmed being the closest island on the east coast to Singapore, JB and KL. All boats would have been overcrowded. If you are a seasoned diver you would know this already.  You could always choose to go to other destinations like the Terengganu islands.

While it is good that someone had highlighted the issue, Snafu is correct that it is always the passenger's choice to board or not. You the holidaymaker created the demand, they the operators create the supply. And when there is excessive demand, this is the immediate answer. The other answer would be to postpone your trip in total, or postpone your departure from the island as I would normally do EVEN WHEN I USED TO WORK THEN. If you could buy dive equipment and go on dive trips, you can afford one day NPL if you cannot take EL or extend your annual leave.

Don't drive a Ferrari if you cannot afford its road tax.


lets see how many divers here can put that though into practise.. ;)


Yes, don't blame others when the diver is equally at fault. I always abstain from going diving during long weekends especially to more popular destinations. It is called self-restraint and discipline...the latter is what most recreational divers do not have.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#32  Postby penyelamalam » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:33 pm

fully agree..
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#33  Postby Atuk » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:54 pm

poisson wrote:
Snafu wrote:When you know the ferry or boat is overcrowded ...why did you board it at the 1st place?

If you are inside & is crowded, you do have a choice ....leave the ferry or the boat.

Dont wait for something bad to happen & then complaint about it .... Take action, the choice is yours.

Safety First & Fun Later.

:D




I second that  :hello:


As always, in retrospect it's easier to make sound judgement.  Sometimes the need to be back in KL by certain hours, or to catch a bus or to meet someone cloud our judgment at that particular moment.  Not all have the luxury to wait for the next boat and not all have the means to extend their stay even if it was the most sensible thing to do.  That's why for example we still see families of three or four still goes about in one motorcycle... it's dangerous, yes, but all they want is a day out as a family and as they can't afford a car, the bike serves its purpose.  No matter how senseless we may view their actions as, to them they make the utmost sense.

In one of the overloaded ferry I was in, I was leaving Tekek towards Mersing, with both my 70+ parents and family in tow.  It was not overloaded then... I soon fell asleep and woke up when I felt stuffy.  It was then I realised how overloaded the boat was, as many had to sit on the stairs!!! By then the ferry had already left Genting for probably around 20 mins.  Truthfully, to demand the ferry make a u-turn and offload ourselves did not cross my mind... all I could think of then was to make sure where the life jackets were, just in case.
User avatar
Atuk
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver
 
Posts: 668
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:11 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#34  Postby jgshuwei » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 am

Yuri Yufokov wrote:
rexydiver wrote:
Maha Uparaja Boworn Maha Vichaicharn Phi Thalay na Ayutthaya wrote:
Snafu wrote:When you know the ferry or boat is overcrowded ...why did you board it at the 1st place?

If you are inside & is crowded, you do have a choice ....leave the ferry or the boat.

Dont wait for something bad to happen & then complaint about it .... Take action, the choice is yours.

Safety First & Fun Later.

:D




That thought crossed my mind.  Tioman would be overwhelmed being the closest island on the east coast to Singapore, JB and KL. All boats would have been overcrowded. If you are a seasoned diver you would know this already.  You could always choose to go to other destinations like the Terengganu islands.

While it is good that someone had highlighted the issue, Snafu is correct that it is always the passenger's choice to board or not. You the holidaymaker created the demand, they the operators create the supply. And when there is excessive demand, this is the immediate answer. The other answer would be to postpone your trip in total, or postpone your departure from the island as I would normally do EVEN WHEN I USED TO WORK THEN. If you could buy dive equipment and go on dive trips, you can afford one day NPL if you cannot take EL or extend your annual leave.

Don't drive a Ferrari if you cannot afford its road tax.


lets see how many divers here can put that though into practise.. ;)


Yes, don't blame others when the diver is equally at fault. I always abstain from going diving during long weekends especially to more popular destinations. It is called self-restraint and discipline...the latter is what most recreational divers do not have.


Yes, SD I do agreed with you. If divers like to plan their trips in peak season, what they can see underwater are divers.
User avatar
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: Fri May 04, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: Always want to be in water...
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#35  Postby Scorpenesub » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:25 am

I think the focus of shifting the responsibility to safety to the passenger is a skewed discussion. The real problem is the structure of the Jabatan Laut which should be restructured to become an authority like the the Civil Aviation Authority.

This argument about travel during holiday is skewed. Anyone with a family and who cares about their family will know that only school holidays and public holidays are the best time to travel as a family. Its got nothing to do with leave, or money! And in one family, perhaps there is only one diver, so the whole family follows on that outing even though just one will dive.

Holiday travel happens everywhere, worldwide. Where one travels by car or by bus or by plane, so its not just the marine transportation. The question is why do we see overloaded ferries but not long-haul buses or even planes? What about the family car? I have seen kancils crammed with six adults but that's because the driver allows it. Don't blame the passengers.

What has been shown in Tioman is that operators are after the fast buck.... They just stuff their boats without appreciation of the risks faced by the passengers. To me, the captain of the boat should be the right authority in saying no more: My boat is licenced and seats 80 and that will be all I carry. We don't see AirAsia offering stools on the aisle to "extra" passengers do we?

Similarly, if the CAA can control airport departure gates with a system, why can the same system be implemented at all jetties in the country? It shows that Jabatan Laut is lax, and the whole department should be shaken up and its director replaced. I would go as far as VSSing everyone in Jabatan Laut and hire new staff.... :angry4:

Without revamping, boat accidents like the Seagull Express will surely happen again in future, and those who died recently and in past accidents of that nature would have died in vain....
Last edited by Scorpenesub on Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stealth is success
User avatar
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#36  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:08 am

The questions that were raised were: why board when the ferry is already overcrowded? Why such choice of destination on such a long weekend?

The diver could have anticipated what kind of crowd there was going to be. I used to travel in a family of 8 (9 including the maid). I avoid long weekends because it would be such an invonvenience to travel if I had known the kids would have to sit on stools. School holidays are always spread over a week or two, so you can make the choice of taking the family during weekdays instead of weekends. There are also such days called "the normal weekends."

Otherwise, find a less crowded destination, or defer the trip until it is not during super-peak season.

We always know what time we should depart to avoid traffic on a long-weekend.  That is called choice.  So as divers, we should be able to make that choice of going to lesser-crowded destinations...or abstain from going at all.  Like I said, defer the trip.  I have two diver daughters and two other school-going children, and two of five-years of age and below.  They always complain why don't I take them for a holiday during long weekends. But I know they would be so uncomfortable having to fight with the crowd for a place in a boat, or having to spend 14-hours on the road instead of 5. So I take them during the normal weekends. The most I would do is make them skive off Friday's school after exams are over and have an extra night on the island.

The holidayers created the demand. The operators were the ones trying to make the supply (and money). So the holidayers shouldn't complain if it was bad; they had the advantage of choice, the operators were merely opportunists.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#37  Postby elkhidr » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:29 am

i can't help but to masuk campor, my question is,
why de 3 people were smiling in the picture, and then later sum more complained about how crummy and boat is. how ironic. hahaha.

can drama a bit laa.. showing their sour faces while sitting on their stools. and use the lifejackets!!

i must agree with yuri, i will choose not to go if i 'sense' some insecurity. there's always another boat/plane/car or whatever. especially when the incident is still fresh.
User avatar
elkhidr
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:24 pm
Location: caspian
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#38  Postby Snafu » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:16 am

Atuk wrote:As always, in retrospect it's easier to make sound judgement.  Sometimes the need to be back in KL by certain hours, or to catch a bus or to meet someone cloud our judgment at that particular moment.  Not all have the luxury to wait for the next boat and not all have the means to extend their stay even if it was the most sensible thing to do.  That's why for example we still see families of three or four still goes about in one motorcycle... it's dangerous, yes, but all they want is a day out as a family and as they can't afford a car, the bike serves its purpose.  No matter how senseless we may view their actions as, to them they make the utmost sense.



Safety First .... No excuses for doing the wrong thing & then the blaming culture comes up.

Make full use what is give to us in our head....maybe then, things will change for the better when slowly we start to become SMARTER.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: I don't know
Gender: Male

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#39  Postby penyelamalam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:36 am

ok, here's a situation, u and ur group boarded the ferry in ABC, filled up the boat nice and proper, then the ferry makes 2 more stops to pick up more passengers, now boat is overloaded, do u and ur group leave the ferry and stay overnite just bcos u wants safety first? lets say the passengers after u dont care abt safety and wants to get back? also note all rooms are fully booked still....
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#40  Postby flea » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:39 pm

why make it complicated....dont go tioman  coz the ferry service makes several stops
User avatar
flea
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:47 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#41  Postby Daniel Lim » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:17 pm

The latest news is, got find out 1 body  already.....and another 2 still missing.
:crybaby2:
Daniel Lim
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:33 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#42  Postby penyelamalam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 pm

flea wrote:why make it complicated....dont go tioman  coz the ferry service makes several stops


With ur statement above, i assume u have never gone to tioman or will never go there in future?
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#43  Postby Cripple Diver » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:41 pm

scorpenesub wrote: The real problem is the structure of the Jabatan Laut which should be restructured to become an authority like the the Civil Aviation Authority.

To me, the captain of the boat should be the right authority in saying no more: My boat is licenced and seats 80 and that will be all I carry. We don't see AirAsia offering stools on the aisle to "extra" passengers do we?

Similarly, if the CAA can control airport departure gates with a system, why can the same system be implemented at all jetties in the country? It shows that Jabatan Laut is lax, and the who department should be shaken up and its director replaced. I would go as far as VSSing everyone in Jabatan Laut and hire new staff.... :angry4:

Without revamping, boast accidents like the Seagull Express will surely happen again in future, and those who died recently and in past accidents of that nature would have died in vain....



All this boils to one thing .....................   [glow=red,2,300]$$$$[/glow]

To revamp Jabatan Laut like our MDCA is going to cost more money, & I have a strange feeling the cost will be passed to the travellers directly (means higher ticket prices) or through Malaysian taxpayers.

Whatever the case may be, a price needs to be paid for better & safer travel.
:iroc:  Fly High Dive Deep
Cripple Diver
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:18 am
Location: Kelumpor
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#44  Postby penyelamalam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 pm

i think the ticket pricing have raised a lot since 5-6 yrs ago...almost double now...i remember paying abt rm25 each way..its not the cost, its the mentality la
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#45  Postby Cripple Diver » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:08 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:i think the ticket pricing have raised a lot since 5-6 yrs ago...almost double now...i remember paying abt rm25 each way..its not the cost, its the mentality la


Agreed.But if we can't change the mentality, then enforcement is the only viable option & that involves money.
:iroc:  Fly High Dive Deep
Cripple Diver
Sport Diver
Sport Diver
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:18 am
Location: Kelumpor
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#46  Postby flea » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:14 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:
flea wrote:why make it complicated....dont go tioman  coz the ferry service makes several stops


With ur statement above, i assume u have never gone to tioman or will never go there in future?


Wrong! been there done that, 5 times a year. The issue is the ferry service system..the ferry is full suddenly  a few more people will hop in & there is no authority to monitor in & out of passenger from each jetty especially festive season.

This accident will happen again trust me..almost every year there's related cases which involves loss of tourist live.
Perhentian a few times.

Ask me how to avoid this? I dunno, maybe Jabatan Laut can answer, there's already laws & regulation....bound to happen!
User avatar
flea
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:47 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#47  Postby Nitrogen addict » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:33 pm

MONEYyyy thats the answer to all the questions >>>> The Jabatan Laut close one eyes, They should monitor from the jetty itself.  Just because festive season and the operator want to make an extra money.  Well its too late, all they can do is pointing fingers.  The same incident happened in Penang and langkawi.  What happened after that???? Nothing ...... wait till another incident and then the same thing too... noise but no actions.
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
User avatar
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#48  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:51 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:ok, here's a situation, u and ur group boarded the ferry in ABC, filled up the boat nice and proper, then the ferry makes 2 more stops to pick up more passengers, now boat is overloaded, do u and ur group leave the ferry and stay overnite just bcos u wants safety first? lets say the passengers after u dont care abt safety and wants to get back? also note all rooms are fully booked still....


Why is this group travelling to a known-to-be-crowded-island-during-peak-season-weekend in the first place? No more islands to go to?
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#49  Postby Nitrogen addict » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:58 pm

ITS THE SAME OLD STORY
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
User avatar
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
 
Posts: 1018
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#50  Postby flea » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 pm

Yuri Yufokov wrote:
rexymexydiver wrote:ok, here's a situation, u and ur group boarded the ferry in ABC, filled up the boat nice and proper, then the ferry makes 2 more stops to pick up more passengers, now boat is overloaded, do u and ur group leave the ferry and stay overnite just bcos u wants safety first? lets say the passengers after u dont care abt safety and wants to get back? also note all rooms are fully booked still....


Why is this group travelling to a known-to-be-crowded-island-during-peak-season-weekend in the first place? No more islands to go to?


Correct me if I'm wrong.....Duty Free Island? Nearer compare the rest of East Coast Islands.
User avatar
flea
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:47 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#51  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Cripple Diver wrote:
scorpenesub wrote: The real problem is the structure of the Jabatan Laut which should be restructured to become an authority like the the Civil Aviation Authority.

To me, the captain of the boat should be the right authority in saying no more: My boat is licenced and seats 80 and that will be all I carry. We don't see AirAsia offering stools on the aisle to "extra" passengers do we?

Similarly, if the CAA can control airport departure gates with a system, why can the same system be implemented at all jetties in the country? It shows that Jabatan Laut is lax, and the who department should be shaken up and its director replaced. I would go as far as VSSing everyone in Jabatan Laut and hire new staff.... :angry4:

Without revamping, boast accidents like the Seagull Express will surely happen again in future, and those who died recently and in past accidents of that nature would have died in vain....



All this boils to one thing .....................   [glow=red,2,300]$$$$[/glow]

To revamp Jabatan Laut like our MDCA is going to cost more money, & I have a strange feeling the cost will be passed to the travellers directly (means higher ticket prices) or through Malaysian taxpayers.

Whatever the case may be, a price needs to be paid for better & safer travel.


There is no need for this.

To use an analogy of an airplane to compare with that of a ferry is like likening an apple to an orange.

First and foremost, the ticketing system is different.  Parents with many children below the age of 2 will cry foul once their children get charged 10% of normal fare just to sit on the parent's lap.  Therefore a family of four paying pax can mean up to 8 travelling together.

There is no booking system for tickets. It is always open. Like in Langkawi, although there is a name register, how many of you actually give your full info?

Planes do not get overloaded simply because for many it is still expensive and inconvenient.  People going to Gurun will have to fly to Alor Setar, get a cab to town, then get on a bus to Gurun - even if he can afford to fly AirAsia!  He has to be at the airport at least an hour before to check-in, to get to the airport he has to spend at least another hour by cab or ERL if he can afford it, otherwise wait for the shuttle. The flight takes an hour. It would be an hour after arrival for him to get onto a bus in Alor Setar, and another hour to get to Gurun.  That is five hours! He could have the express bus make a quick stop in Gurun for the same amount of time at probably 10% the cost of flying on AirAsia...maybe less.  And you cannot carry as many non-paying children onboard a plane like you could with a ferry or a bus. Hence, no overcrowding, because every single kilogram has to be paid for. That is how planes work.  By the kilos!

You don't get the DCA checking how many people are on board! You will only see them if a plane crashes! Much like the Jabatan Laut people!  Yes, the ferry operators are at fault; but equally at fault are the demand-creators.

Maybe you would like to see a booking system in place...where booking for ferry tickets will have to be done through the resort operators instead. You pay for rooms, you get a ticket as well. No more walk-ins for tickets.  Then, you will have to also provide your full details like you do for a flight ticket.

And to avoid overcrowding, ALL PASSENGER PAYS.  Whether or not you have two non-paying children like me.

How does the measures above sound to you?
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#52  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:16 pm

flea wrote:
Yuri Yufokov wrote:
rexymexydiver wrote:ok, here's a situation, u and ur group boarded the ferry in ABC, filled up the boat nice and proper, then the ferry makes 2 more stops to pick up more passengers, now boat is overloaded, do u and ur group leave the ferry and stay overnite just bcos u wants safety first? lets say the passengers after u dont care abt safety and wants to get back? also note all rooms are fully booked still....


Why is this group travelling to a known-to-be-crowded-island-during-peak-season-weekend in the first place? No more islands to go to?


Correct me if I'm wrong.....Duty Free Island? Nearer compare the rest of East Coast Islands.


*BUZZER-SOUND* 10 points for FLEA.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#53  Postby penyelamalam » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:57 pm

1stly, not many ppl have the privelege to take leave as and when they feel like it..For a big extended family to go on holidays together, this IS the only family time they could have...U expect malay family to go Holiday on Raya or Chinese family to go holiday during Chinese New Year or Indian family during Deepavali??
Answer is NO simply bcos family commitments, and on another's festive season, other races try to make it a family affair and at same time trying to save some cost as overseas holidays cost a bomb and not many ppl are lucky as to have tidy sum kept aside.Not many ppl can be jobless and can still go diving all the time..

We dont expect to stay at home all the time during long weekends right?
Also isnt our goverment trying to promote local sites for holidays(CUTI CUTI MALAYSIA)??

Bacis problem is, whether there are going to have 1,000 or 10,000 ppl visiting Tioman, they need to have a system to monitor unscrupulous transport operator from illegal practises.

Do you think those unfortunate visitors wish to have an accident?
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#54  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:43 pm

rexymexydiver wrote:1stly, not many ppl have the privelege to take leave as and when they feel like it..For a big extended family to go on holidays together, this IS the only family time they could have...U expect malay family to go Holiday on Raya or Chinese family to go holiday during Chinese New Year or Indian family during Deepavali??
Answer is NO simply bcos family commitments, and on another's festive season, other races try to make it a family affair and at same time trying to save some cost as overseas holidays cost a bomb and not many ppl are lucky as to have tidy sum kept aside.Not many ppl can be jobless and can still go diving all the time..

We dont expect to stay at home all the time during long weekends right?
Also isnt our goverment trying to promote local sites for holidays(CUTI CUTI MALAYSIA)??

Bacis problem is, whether there are going to have 1,000 or 10,000 ppl visiting Tioman, they need to have a system to monitor unscrupulous transport operator from illegal practises.

Do you think those unfortunate visitors wish to have an accident?




Like I said...there are other less crowded destinations to go to. I know of some Singaporeans who were in Perhentian that weekend.

Choice...choice.

If you know the operator is unscrupulous, avoid.

If you want monitoring system and anti-overcrowding, agree with the measures that I have suggested above. I know a similar system is in place in Redang. You book, you get. Otherwise, wait for next ferry.

I was in Perhentian on hari raya...I am a malay. It is my choice.

It is always about choice. You know the island is crowded, you still go.  The ferry operators have only a number of vessels economic enough for them to maintain. When demand exceeds supply, they can only accommodate (and make money from it).

If they stop you from boarding and the next available empty ferry is at 6pm...and you are there from 7am, wouldn't you cry foul?

So use the measures I have suggested. Then we will see who likes it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#55  Postby SuperKingKong® » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:44 am

hahaa.. guys.. cool :)

anyway, that incident has happened. let the authorities/professionals deal with it. we all can argue here but it won't make any differences... only will spoil our relationship. unless "you" are going to do the job.. otherwise.. no point arguing here.

about our suggestions on improving the "system" there... no point arguing here, it will not "impact" the authorities.. we argue here.. we fight here.. at the end... we are the one "rugi".

anyway, my point is... based on your feedbacks...

from the user/tourist point of view... yes, there are a lot of places around m'sia... but what if i/my family can only afford to go to this place? and what if i/my family want to go to this place only? we can't stop them. it's their choice. accidents happen... and bound to be happened again. they knew about the past accidents. So, no point stopping them. maybe going tioman is cheaper then going redang.. and they can only afford a cheaper destination... not many ppl are as rich as some... but they still want to go for holiday... like SD mentioned, it's their choice....

as for the operators, if they really care for the lives, they should cater for more tourists.. more trips.. which is unlikely... looking at our culture.

authorities and operators should do their job... but i guess it's unlikely too.

i remembered.. when i was going to a pulau in sabah... the boat can only carry a certain amount of passengers.. but that time, they overshot by carrying extra 2... the operator kept begging a guy (i think that guy was from the authority-in-charge)... can lah.. can lah.. just this time lah.. but that guy kept saying.. NO! No! ... soon.. after some more begging... then the guy said.. ok lah.. just this time ya...!

so, u can see.. the operator was saving another trip.. thus saving cost.. and the authority-in-charge... was not that strict.

whatever it is...  it will be a risk... u choose to go there.. u'll have to take the risk. nothing we can do.

driving is also a risk... why drive? not fly? because we want to go there.. and because we can only afford driving..
but flying is also another risk... so, the safest thing is stay at home watch tv...
Last edited by SuperKingKong® on Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
User avatar
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru
 
Posts: 2454
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:18 pm
Location: pLaNeT oF tHe ApE
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#56  Postby penyelamalam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:27 am

yes, i agree its always abt choices, anyone can make their own judgement...but think abt these elderlies(i dare to say most of them are making a trip to Tioman fro the 1st time in their lives), would u think they know that sitting on plastic stools is not the norm? they probably think to themselves, "hey there are stolls provided on this boat, so its normal" or "Hey, i think the boat captain and the marine dept personnel whom i saw before i boarded the boat" would know best wat they're doing right??..
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#57  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:06 am

rexymexydiver wrote:yes, i agree its always abt choices, anyone can make their own judgement...but think abt these elderlies(i dare to say most of them are making a trip to Tioman fro the 1st time in their lives), would u think they know that sitting on plastic stools is not the norm? they probably think to themselves, "hey there are stolls provided on this boat, so its normal" or "Hey, i think the boat captain and the marine dept personnel whom i saw before i boarded the boat" would know best wat they're doing right??..


If you start this kind of hypothesis, can I also assume that it is probably their 50th time to Tioman and because they like going there so much they didn't mind going there even if they have to sit on stools?  We were discussing about divers complaining about the services weren't we?
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#58  Postby penyelamalam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:23 am

errrrr...no la..we're discussing abt the ferry tat caught fire and sank lah...
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#59  Postby penyelamalam » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 am

if it was the topic abt divers complaining abt having to sit on stools to get to and from a very busy Island on long festive weekends, then i really have no comment for them and agree with wat a few members here saying abt choices.
more diving, less politicking
penyelamalam
Diver
Diver
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:38 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Tourist Boat Exploded Off Mersing

Post Number:#60  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 am

rexymexydiver wrote:
Snafu wrote:When you know the ferry or boat is overcrowded ...why did you board it at the 1st place?

If you are inside & is crowded, you do have a choice ....leave the ferry or the boat.

Dont wait for something bad to happen & then complaint about it .... Take action, the choice is yours.

Safety First & Fun Later.

:D



i guess one have to be there and then talk abt it, and i guess those divers tried to prove that ferry operator did not heed or take any action though a mishap did happen 2 days earlier.


This was when I jumped in...we were all talking about people who complained about overcrowded ferries...and they are divers.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
 
Topic author
Posts: 5478
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:46 pm
Location: Underwater
Gender: None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Accidents and Incidents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron