MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - lo pressure hose deatched from swivel joint

lo pressure hose deatched from swivel joint

lo pressure hose deatched from swivel joint

Post Number:#1  Postby decimal86 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:08 pm

sometimes equipment failure happens in the most unexpected places. well come to think of it, it should be expected as even recreational diving tests physical and mechanical limits....

i had changed my unwieldy hose to a Miflex hose at MIDE 2013 and was convinced to add a swivel joint-which at that time sounded like a good idea-this swivel joint allowed the second stage to move relatively unhindered. however, it is of great importance that this swivel joint be checked regularly,as it requires re-torquing using an allen from the inside. let me explain further.

we had just started our dive when i noticed free-flow from my second stage, it was a trickle but it was steady. so i signaled my wife that i was aborting this dive and she in turn got the attention of the DM, he saw my free-flowing second stage and told me to go back to the boat. of course i had no idea what was going to happen next.

we were in about 8-9m of water. about 3 mins showing on my dive somp when i last looked.

aha! i told myself, maybe i can fix this by turning the second stage a couple of turns to tighten the thing. big mistake!!

from the slow steady trickle, it became an angry roar, and the bubbles were deafening to my ear now...and it just got louder, i kicked faster and made for the sloping sand bank.

then the hose just shot out from the second stage and became a wild snake churning to get loose from the first stage. i took a mouth of sea water before i ripped the integrated and put it in my mouth. ( did i mention i have never, ever checked whether my backup worked ? well take it from me i thanked God that it worked when i needed it most!). in so doing i took the useless second stage in my hand and it dropped in all that froth of water, s....t never mind think clearly..i am close to shore!

so ok, first problem solved, i can breathe...how about my air-supply? i need to inflate my BCD...so i held on to the inflator and squeezed everything out to make sure i get enough air out of my fast depleting tank. i popped like a cork to the surface and thank God the second time this day. i turned and took a look around to get a fix on my location. i was next to the military guard post at Siamil Island. ok i shot straight up so this where my second stage would likely land--allowing for drift of course.

the boat came to pick me as he had just dropped me off not too long ago.

took another tank and went down to look for the regulator, found it with the help of the DM.

the moral of the story is, be wary of any changes made to your system that has given you confidence over the months/years of diving. especially a swivel attachment. the construction of which seem to warrant an inspection before each dive. the thing was, my friend had borrowed it for a dive trip and brought it back satisfied with its performance. so that gave me false confidence i think.

second, check your integrated backup or octopus regularly as well..you never know when you gonna need it.

if you have lost something in shallow waters, when you pop up, take a fix of where you are in relation to the beach and any 2 significant landmarks. that will roughly triangulate where you are and making the searching easier.

(always buy regulators that are shiny! they are easier to find!.)

you read diving incidents and accidents and then you store it at the back of your mind never wanting to recall those articles because they were scary or even personal? looking back now, i think it helps as in my case, all i knew was NOT TO PANIC as the shore and the surface was within reach. so yeah..i am glad that people do take time to put pen to paper or in latter day context, type and share their horror stories. i honestly believe it does help the community--a lot!!

i am blessed to be diving in shallow waters and that i had just started my dive. if it had been in the deep blue and after 20 mins, this would not be so pretty.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 25

Re: lo pressure hose deatched from swivel joint

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 pm

uuh man decimel thank god u survived the ordeal! thank goodness for your quick thinking and fast action!
and thank you for sharing ur experience.
I learned alot from these kind of infos.

i guess when your friend tried it , everything was ok but the thing happened when you wear it. If it was me , i will be thinking the same way like you do.
Maybe the pressure finally burst the swivel.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby decimal86 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 pm

I should add that the waters around me moments later were yellowish brownish colour...

I learnt from forums such as this that panic is the biggest killer
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby Narco » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm

The Swivel Joint Survivor!
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:07 pm

how the whole thing fits together

-- Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:08 pm --

how it looks like on its own

-- Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:10 pm --

the part that almost got me into trouble. you need to check this part of the whole assembly often. a wrench to open the whole assembly...an allen key to tighten the two parts.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby run » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:22 pm

if u don't mind decimel, the swivel joint made from china? or from a branded supplier?
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby decimal86 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:54 pm

i bought together with my Miflex hoses at MIDE 2013.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby run » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:49 am

decimal86 wrote:we had just started our dive when i noticed free-flow from my second stage, it was a trickle but it was steady. so i signaled my wife that i was aborting this dive and she in turn got the attention of the DM, he saw my free-flowing second stage and told me to go back to the boat. of course i had no idea what was going to happen next.

So sorry so many Q&A by me. I just want to learn and be prepared.

Common seen free-flow, bubbles coming out from the mouth-piece of the regulator. Often we would just ignore it unless streaming of bubbles coming out fast.

In your case , Your bubbles coming out from the swivel joints?

Sometime i fix my plastic pipe at home on my own. in your case i imagined
me fixing my pipe and when i turned on the main pipe, the pressure will rise. if there are any droplets from the joints , the pipe can burst from the joints.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby decimal86 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:33 pm

the bubbles were coming from Miflex hose and swivel joint. i think i turned it inadvertently during the tank change. so the hose came out from my mouthpiece.

oh you clamp hoses on to fittings?
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks decimal for the clarification and thank you again for sharing this incident.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:53 am

decimal bro,
you were lucky it happened at shore dive not deep dive.... :grin:
some divers consider swivel joint is just another failure point waiting to happen.
but then again the choice is yours, maybe by adding swivel joint at 2nd stage it will make us feel more comfortable, then why not.
atomic aquatic 2nd stage come with swivel as well.
for me, if you wanna buy & use swivel joint, buy the good one and buy once, the expensive one, omniswivel..... :grin:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:15 am

mamakpenang if me i will buy a swivel similiar to atomic auqatic and send it to a technician that always service for atomic swivel joint.
I met a few people that say they can service most of the regs but then how do i know what they are saying true. Unless i own 5 pairs of reg, that i wont mind
having one of them to test how good the technician fix my reg.
i feel better to send mine to certified technician that specialize in certain brands.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby decimal86 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:27 am

Hi risk sport-thats how they classify scuba diving. I think that says it. Knowingly and willingly putting yourself in danger.
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:24 pm

haha....what to do, accident do happened, to some of the thing that we have tested over and over again.....
we are only human, certified technician are well trained but sometime make mistake too......make sure we test our gears/equipments after service & prior to diving trip.
how we react in a situation is another important thing to consider.... :grin:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#15  Postby decimal86 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:57 pm

yeah we are the ones who want to breathe compressed air, so we have to take upon ourselves to check and then recheck. and a prayer before we hit the waves never hurt anyone...
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Return to Accidents and Incidents