MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Swimmers hit by boat Pulau Perhentian

Swimmers hit by boat Pulau Perhentian

Swimmers hit by boat Pulau Perhentian

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Tue May 28, 2013 10:18 am

BESUT: An English tourist was killed after she was hit by a boat propeller while in Pulau Perhentian Monday morning.

In the 10.20am incident, Madaline Jayne, 25, of Hereford, was killed while her friend, Simon James Rogers, 22, from Australia, was seriously hurt.
Madaline Jayne, 25, from Hereford, England
Besut police chief, Supt Kamaruddin Mohd Zakaria said she died as she was being taken for treatment by the boat operator involved in the mishap.
Jayne suffered serious injuries on both legs, buttocks and body while Rogers was injured in both his legs and stomach.
Rogers was rushed to Besut District Hospital for treatment before being transferred to University Sains Malaysia Hospital in Kubang Kerian, Kelantan.
Kamaruddin said the incident occurred as boat operator Mohd Azwan Mohamad, 23, was passing the area to bring tourists to the island resort.
"The two victims and two other friends were diving outside the safe zone and were not wearing safety jackets. They were accidentally hit by Mohd Azwan," said Kamaruddin.
He said the body was sent to Besut District Hospital for an autopsy.
Jayne arrived in Malaysia on April 4 and stayed at the Senja Bay Resort, Pulau Perhentian Besar, while Rogers was staying at the Shari-La Resort.
Both had signed up for a snorkelling course on Pulau Perhentian Besar. - Bernama

---not sure what really happen but all i can say. If you want to swim.
-Swim inside the snorkelling zone and dont go iron man or iron lady swimming back and forth from
the small island to the bigger island.
-Wear something that bright or can show the boatman that there are human swimming there. Bikini and speedos are just too small to spot.
- dont go swimming around the boat traffic area. That is just too careless. Its the same as you go for a swim inside a river that you already know with a crocodile in it.

i read a few accidents in the local news involving foreigners and boats. so its either the tourist aint listen carefully to the resort's safety instruction or the boatman too careless while they controlling the boat. We cant always critisize intensively on our local industries of not doing their good effort trying to provide their best services to local and foreign tourist. Improvement takes time cause it involves human not machine.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: Swimmers hit by boat Pulau Perhentian

Post Number:#2  Postby weugene » Tue May 28, 2013 10:34 am

i was on the island when this happened but what i heard from the boatman and DC was that the body was cut into 3 pieces
weugene
Diver
Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Tue May 28, 2013 10:44 am

Thanks for the sharing Run. Freaking me out. Sy mau pi perhentian next week.
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby run » Tue May 28, 2013 11:10 am

maybe the place was too crowded with people and so the swimmers need to go out a little bit.
Narco happy diving next week.
Weugene what a horror if the swimmer did get cut into 3 pieces. I know propeller can do such a thing. Normally the cause of death would be a loss of blood, if the person was not hit on the head.

I remembered this one time when i was at Pulau Weh. After a dive at the hotspring and on the way back to steffan. The boat we were on used the water road near rubiah island.
Some mat salleh was swimming back and forth from rubiah island to the main island and our boat nearly misses these 2 mat salleh. Lucky all of us on boat was screaming out load " Ada orang berenang!!!"
At first we didnt saw nothing only about 200m and closer we finally saw something blonde and shining moving in mid water. The choppy waves + the glare of the sun hides those swimmers head and body from our plain eye sight.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby gavstang » Tue May 28, 2013 11:22 am

Sad news...to be honest the traffic at Perhentian is pretty heavy which is only to be expected with the number of resorts there. The only time Ive deployed my SMB so many times was at Perhentian especially at the dive sites closer to the islands.
gavstang
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#6  Postby alvint » Tue May 28, 2013 11:48 am

so was it diving or snorkerling??
alvint
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Narco » Tue May 28, 2013 11:58 am

The posting mention on safety jacket. I assume this involves swimming. Maybe those in perhentian can help to paint a clearer picture for the benefit of other members?
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#8  Postby alvint » Tue May 28, 2013 12:04 pm

I actually just came back from perhentian besar yesterday but there was no mention by the divemasters...
alvint
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby rushd4n » Tue May 28, 2013 12:38 pm

Narco wrote:Thanks for the sharing Run. Freaking me out. Sy mau pi perhentian next week.

Narco, me and my family also will be in perhentian next week. nanti jumpa disanaaaaa
rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby run » Tue May 28, 2013 1:08 pm

alvint maybe weugene knows whether it was a swimmer or a diver. The Bernama reporter might not be well verse between diving or skin diving and snorkelling course with snorkeling trip.

i tried to google some info instead i found this very exciting news around the world. Quite the informative http://touristkilled.com/
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby mamakpenang » Tue May 28, 2013 2:37 pm

rushd4n wrote:
Narco wrote:Thanks for the sharing Run. Freaking me out. Sy mau pi perhentian next week.

Narco, me and my family also will be in perhentian next week. nanti jumpa disanaaaaa

bro rushd4n.....bestnyer pi perhentian ngan family yeaa...... :evil:
perhentian besar or perhentian kecil....
honeymoon kat ne?
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby rushd4n » Tue May 28, 2013 3:07 pm

mamakpenang wrote:
rushd4n wrote:

bro rushd4n.....bestnyer pi perhentian ngan family yeaa...... :evil:
perhentian besar or perhentian kecil....
honeymoon kat ne?

bro,
i will be @ perhentian kecik kat maya chalet, 1-3 june 2013 snokling package. if got time nak dive with angel diver.

thanks
rushd4n
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby weugene » Tue May 28, 2013 4:01 pm

initially they thought it was an instructor and a student but later found out they were snorkellers
weugene
Diver
Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#14  Postby Narco » Tue May 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Rush4dan, me and mamak will be in Perhentian besar. Most likely will be diving with UD and maybe also a few dives with Universal if time permits. Will be there from 6-9 June. Unlikely that we will meet, unless u gonna extend ur stay or we come early.. hehe
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#15  Postby kit615 » Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm

Actually the lady who died is a Dive instructor, she and her boyfriend was my OW instructors, which i got certified just last month. They are on my FB and lots of people mourning for her death, especially the bf.. its a sad news....
kit615
Diver
Diver

Return to Accidents and Incidents