MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - DCS in bali

DCS in bali

DCS in bali

Post Number:#1  Postby aroyo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Wanna share my personal experience, this happened yesterday.
My wife n myself arrived in Bali on sat. Yesterday, Sunday, we started dive at 0930 in crystal bay. Not difficult dive, current was average, max depth was 20m. We all put on one long suit, another shortie both 3mm due to the temp. Hence we were advised to take one extra weight than normal.  Temp was 23 underwater. We were among the earliest to ascend since my wife air was first to hit 50. We did a slow ascend and safety stop with one of the dm.

Swimming to the boat she said that she's really tired. When we got on the boat she started to lose all muscle control. She couldn't speak properly. The dm n guides didn't believe dcs since we were within limits. But based on the symptoms I was confident it was dcs. I insisted that we started pure oxygen n getting her to hospital. Boat ride of 40 mins n van ride of 30 mins seems like forever.

At the hospital they did all the tests. Test her sensors, reflex n motor functions. Within 30 mins the dr diagnosed DCS.  Lucky there is a chamber in that hospital. X ray, urine, and blood test were also conducted. Lucky they would us register even without Id since I left them in hotel room.mistake 1.

However, we could not started chamber treatment until a guarantee letter is issued by someone. We don't have Dan. Mistake 2. But we did pay for dive insurance for this trip with the dive center. The dice centre manager was with us all they way. He said the insurance office is close since it is Saturday, so it's not possible to get the letter. I also contacted our employees insurance in Malaysia. But none is covering overseas treatment. The option was to swipe a credit card with amount of usd4500. My credit card is in hotel n my credit card limit is rm10k only. Mistake 3 and 4. After 2 hours I manage to convince the dive mgr to issue guarantee letter and promised to pay them back if the insurance fails.

While all this was going on, my wife continued to take pure oxygen. By 2pm she has improved a lot. She was able to walk and all the pains are gone. Senses are better but not 100% normal. Slight head ache still there. Sympathy with us the dr said she may recover without chamber treatment. But not taking risks I insisted on treatment. S she went into chamber for 5 hours till 8 pm.

So I went back to the hotel feeling miserable knowing I could lose her or leave her paralyze due to dcs. After the treatment she is 90% ok, just light headed. Dr gave nerves medication n let us go back to hotel. Need to drink 3 L of water daily and no exercise . No flying till wednesday . So we had to rebook our flight and extend our stay.

And hospital bill was rp1.3 mil excluding the chamber. We didn't have travel insurance. Mistake 5.

I'm sharing this so that you guys and girls won't make the same mistakes as I did. Most of them were done way before the actual dive itself. I think the biggest mistake was to assume that if we dive safely  well within deco limits it wouldn't occur to us.

Azrai
aroyo
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: DCS in bali

Post Number:#2  Postby run » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:36 pm

sad to hear that but also relief to hear ur wife getting better. Was she tired before the dives?
or perhaps she was hungry before the dive? Hope both of you will come back safely.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 20

Post Number:#3  Postby keenfreedom » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks for the sharing. I hope your wife is recovering.
No dive no life!
keenfreedom
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby oldturtle » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:53 pm

Bro...you should not endure the unnecessary stress trying to save your wife. You should initiate legal proceeding against the hospital for demanding a pc.of  letter of guarantee....  (of course you need to get the right representative (lawyer )..

Time is the essence here ! its not about money . ! I am sure you would have pawned your last possession to pay for saving your wife .And to convince or this to a stranger ............man...I know how you might have feel....

Hope all is well....
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby decimal86 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:59 am

sad to hear bro' i can feel your fear and trauma, hope your wife gets well soon.

i thank you for sharing this with us.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#6  Postby mamakpenang » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:53 am

aroyo,
hope your wife recovering soon, any idea why the DCS attacked your wife, is she too tired, dehydration (drink not enough water), temperature to low (cold), all these can become the reason for the DCS
this story is making me nervous, perhaps it is time for me to sign for DAN before the next diving trip.

thanks for sharing bro......
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Daylight » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:17 pm

thanks for sharing. hope your wife will be back on her feet and diving soon. :)
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby Nitrogen addict » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:14 am

Thank you for sharing. Reminder to renew my DAN. Heading to Bali this weekend.

Anybody want o buy DAN can o to their website, or you can visit our website we hsve the link to DAN online.
Last edited by Nitrogen addict on Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#9  Postby Daylight » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 am

NO to crystal bay!!!

Nitrogen addict wrote:Thank you for sharing. Reminder to renew my DAN. Heading to Bali this weekend.

Anybody want o buy DAN can o to their website, or you can visit our website we hsve the link to DAN online.
diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby mamakpenang » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:43 pm

i am not sure about this, haven't been to bali for diving yet, they said u need 5mm wetsuit to beat the low temperature blues, i guess the water is cold in bali......while most of us dive with 3mm wetsuit, any advise..... :grin:
mamakpenang
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby aroyo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:38 pm

She had enough water, food and rest.
Cold temperature is definitely a factor.
5mm is highly recommended, unfortunately the dive centre has limited supply of these for rental.
DAN is a must if you don't want to burden your family if something happens to you.
aroyo
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby run » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:20 pm

I was talking to a friend about this issue and suddenly a friend of mine ask me this " the wife just had a baby or not?"
I was surprised when ask that kindof question and ask back what made her bring that up? In malay they have this called berpantang after given birth.
Some of the malay ladies will berpantang 44days and some 100days. I am not sure whether this is relevant or not.
During this period, the new mom must try her best to avoid eating or drinking anything that cold cause it is belief it could reduce down the recovery of the internal body system.
in malaysia, we have all year round hot weather and it is different compare to the mat salleh. They live in a cold country and their immune system has already adapt
to coldness.
Again i dont know whether this is relevant or not.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby run » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm

mamakpenang wrote:i am not sure about this, haven't been to bali for diving yet, they said u need 5mm wetsuit to beat the low temperature blues, i guess the water is cold in bali......while most of us dive with 3mm wetsuit, any advise..... :grin:

Wear hood and additional vest. Your body heat loss faster around your head and the upper body.
Dont worry you wont stay 50min-60min watching the mola-mola.
Most divers can only stand 30-40min due to the coldness and the rapid air consumption.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby reztitan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:49 pm

wow, what a lesson. Thank for sharing aroyo, hope your wife recovering well.

These couple of weeks certainly read a lot of negative news from crystal bay, im yet to dive here but sound like a challenging site.

Just out of curiosity, where can I get this DAN?
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#15  Postby oldturtle » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:48 pm

OMG...heck...what???...100 days ?.......after giving birth ?????....etc..etc...sum up to just OLD WIVES E TALES ...tsk..tsk....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#16  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:03 am

reztitan wrote:wow, what a lesson. Thank for sharing aroyo, hope your wife recovering well.

These couple of weeks certainly read a lot of negative news from crystal bay, im yet to dive here but sound like a challenging site.

Just out of curiosity, where can I get this DAN?

You can visit our web details are all there.www.oceanelements.my
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#17  Postby fatimberlake » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks for sharing. Really helpful against emergency situation. Hope your wife getting better
fatimberlake
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Run how msny times u dive in Bali?
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#19  Postby Hot_Winter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 pm

Regards from Singapore.
Hot_Winter
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#20  Postby Nitrogen addict » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:05 pm

Aroyo may i ask which dive operator ??
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#21  Postby Nitrogen addict » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:36 am

Well this s my 1000 posting in these forum, so i wanna write something positive.

Incidents, accidents and mishap do happened in any extreme sport. It is all up to the individual how you manage the situations.

Aroyo learned his lesson, we read about it makes comments and giving advices.  Ya it is easy to say because you are not in his position and you are not with him when this incident happened to him.

We thank you Aroyo for sharing with us.

When you want to dive or planning your dive trips please be cautious,

1. Choose the responsible operator
2. No compromise on safety
3. Know your limit, if you can't dive on that day just come back another day.
4. You know yourself better

But then again incidents and accidents do happen

To all divers  out there please be safe.  Read your dive manual occasionally just to remind or refresh bout the safety.

By the way this morning i dived at Crystal Bay, with water temperature at 21 degrees, using only my 3mm wetsuit and thermal rash guard, current crazy maybe around 4 to 5 knot. With 5 other divers, we saw 3 mola molas. We all survived.

Very chalanging dive site. Makes your andranaline rushed to your head. No not all of us experience diver. We have divers with only 15 dives log.

Yes very important to listen to dive briefing from experience dive leader. Always be causious, the viz was good and you wont realised that you might decent to max limit. Stay in a group. Do your safety stop as recommended by your dive comp. longer safety stop much better.  Longer time during your surface intervals.

Photos and video will be uploaded later in our facebook group. Yes we are planning to go again next year. From 30th till 3rd September 2013.

Alamdulillah
Last edited by Nitrogen addict on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#22  Postby aroyo » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm

i went with blue season bali.
aroyo
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby divejunkie » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi there,
I cannot even begin to comprehend how Aroyo must have felt and really hope that it will all turn out fine for Aroyo. My following comments are not in any way means of speculating to what  might have happened to Aroyo but merely comments with regards to diving in COLD and CHALLENGING waters.

I have had the pleasure of catching up with things via MUW for a while now and this particular post has really caught my attention. First of all, I'd just like to state that I am not an expert, I don’t have thousands of dive under my belt and NO, I have not had the privilege of diving in Crystal Bay.

BUT I do have a buddy who went diving in Crystal Bay and the temperature that was registered on his dive computer, which I have personally seen with my 2 own eyes, a shocking 17 degree Celsius. He told me it was the worst feeling he had ever felt. 2 people (foreigners from a cold country) aborted the dive because they thought the water was too cold. My buddy continued the dive (with a 3mm wetsuit) and has promised himself to never do it again. His description was summed up in three words........pure torture bro. The lesson he told me was: It CAN get pretty cold there so just be prepared should you ever decide to dive there.

I’m very sure that we are all aware that cold water is a KNOWN risk factor in DCI.  There are various scientific papers and it’s also listed in the DANs website:
(http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Decompression_Illness_What_Is_It_and_What_Is_The_Treatment)

I don’t know how many time run has dived Bali but I can tell you for sure that any advise to keep yourself warm whilst diving is a very good advice indeed. I doubt you even need to dive in Crystal Bay to know that and I do believe it is covered in all the open water training of any agency.

What gets me worried though are statements like this:
“By the way this morning i dived at Crystal Bay, with water temperature at 21 degrees, using only my 3mm wetsuit and thermal rash guard�

I do apologise in advance because I might have misinterpreted the statement above but it sounds as if it's trying to convince me that a 3mil and rash guard would do.  In my humble opinion, the ability for us to withstand cold temperature varies from one person to another and even possibly in different ways at different times. Someone could be fine with a 3mil and others might even feel cold with a 7mil wetsuit. Some can dive in cold water and some just can’t.

“Very chalanging dive site. Makes your andranaline rushed to your head. No not all of us experience diver. We have divers with only 15 dives log�

I apologise again if I have misinterpreted your message but I find this statement even more disturbing. Are you trying to imply that diving in cold waters is easy and perhaps even easier just as long as you have good dive guides ? Minimum experience required for COLD and Challenging waters....wow!

From your post I gather that the water is COLD (and from a friend’s experience.....really cold at times) and it is a CHALLENGING dive site. They present challenges and people should be aware of it. If the water is COLD and CHALLENGING, how could choosing a dive operator make any difference? In the first place, there shouldn't be any dive operators that take people with minimum experience to such a dive site. How could the introduction of ADDITIONAL variables such as COLD and CHALLENGING be beneficial and safe to new divers such as me? Don't we already have enough variables/challenges to master at these early stage of our training?

It's just a challenging dive site and the cold waters makes it even worse............plus we haven't even discussed about the possibility DOWN CURRENTS yet! Just imagine a diver struggling to keep his buoyancy being subject to extraordinary down currents. What safety measure or dive operator will help an inexperienced diver then? Or should we just throw people like me in and hope for the best? I am sorry but I simply refuse to accept that.

No hard feelings.....I'm not saying not to dive in Crystal Bay but I just feel that experience is a huge factor in certain dive sites.....and people should be made aware by the operators who knows the water best.......operators of whom some trust their life with.

Sorry

:)
Last edited by divejunkie on Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
divejunkie
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#24  Postby Nitrogen addict » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 am

divejunkie wrote:Hi there,
I cannot even begin to comprehend how Aroyo must have felt and really hope that it will all turn out fine for Aroyo. My following comments are not in any way means of speculating to what  might have happened to Aroyo but merely comments with regards to diving in COLD and CHALLENGING waters.

I have had the pleasure of catching up with things via MUW for a while now and this particular post has really caught my attention. First of all, I'd just like to state that I am not an expert, I don’t have thousands of dive under my belt and NO, I have not had the privilege of diving in Crystal Bay.

BUT I do have a buddy who went diving in Crystal Bay and the temperature that was registered on his dive computer, which I have personally seen with my 2 own eyes, a shocking 17 degree Celsius. He told me it was the worst feeling he had ever felt. 2 people (foreigners from a cold country) aborted the dive because they thought the water was too cold. My buddy continued the dive (with a 3mm wetsuit) and has promised himself to never do it again. His description was summed up in three words........pure torture bro. The lesson he told me was: It CAN get pretty cold there so just be prepared should you ever decide to dive there.

I’m very sure that we are all aware that cold water is a KNOWN risk factor in DCI.  There are various scientific papers and it’s also listed in the DANs website:
(http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/Decompression_Illness_What_Is_It_and_What_Is_The_Treatment)

I don’t know how many time run has dived Bali but I can tell you for sure that any advise to keep yourself warm whilst diving is a very good advice indeed. I doubt you even need to dive in Crystal Bay to know that and I do believe it is covered in all the open water training of any agency.
(yes very good advised, i just asked Run because i want her to share her experinced diving in Cystal bay.  I would like to gather as much informations as i cld)

What gets me worried though are statements like this:
“By the way this morning i dived at Crystal Bay, with water temperature at 21 degrees, using only my 3mm wetsuit and thermal rash guard�

I do apologise in advance because I might have misinterpreted the statement above but it sounds as if it's trying to convince me that a 3mil and rash guard would do.  In my humble opinion, the ability for us to withstand cold temperature varies from one person to another and even possibly in different ways at different times. Someone could be fine with a 3mil and others might even feel cold with a 7mil wetsuit. Some can dive in cold water and some just can’t.
( read again, thermal rash guard. If you can't handle the cold you can abort your dive)

“Very chalanging dive site. Makes your andranaline rushed to your head. No not all of us experience diver. We have divers with only 15 dives log�

I apologise again if I have misinterpreted your message but I find this statement even more disturbing. Are you trying to imply that diving in cold waters is easy and perhaps even easier just as long as you have good dive guides ? Minimum experience required for COLD and Challenging waters....wow!

( you got me wrong here, i didnt say diving in cold water is easy. We were lucky the water temp was 23 degrees not at 17 degress or less, during the briefing by dive operator, they really emphasized and keep telling the divers bout the safety. When you hv newbies  what we normally do we discuss and we inform the dive operator to assign 1 experience guide to handle our newbies. Normally 1 to 1, and again if you cant handle it abort the dive. There will be next time next dive)

From your post I gather that the water is COLD (and from a friend’s experience.....really cold at times) and it is a CHALLENGING dive site. They present challenges and people should be aware of it. If the water is COLD and CHALLENGING, how could choosing a dive operator make any difference? In the first place, there shouldn't be any dive operators that take people with minimum experience to such a dive site. How could the introduction of ADDITIONAL variables such as COLD and CHALLENGING be beneficial and safe to new divers such as me? Don't we already have enough variables/challenges to master at these early stage of our training?

(yes choosing dive operator is very important, with their experience its really help us to be at safe dive site. For example today we went to new manta point... Looking at the water they know the current very strong, We wait for few minutes and the conditions not getting better, they decided to change location to old mantas point. Glad they did, it was easy dive mild current and we saw 10 mantas)
It's just a challenging dive site and the cold waters makes it even worse............plus we haven't even discussed about the possibility DOWN CURRENTS yet! Just imagine a diver struggling to keep his buoyancy being subject to extraordinary down currents. What safety measure or dive operator will help an inexperienced diver then? Or should we just throw people like me in and hope for the best? I am sorry but I simply refuse to accept that.

(if you think or feels you cannot handle it so don't dive there. Go when you are ready. You should know yourself better. Most of us in this trip supposedly to do 3 dives per day, but not all of us can handle it.  We skipped and relax in the boat. They either dive on 1st and second and relax on 3rd dive.  As for me i did 1 st and 3rd dive. On second dive i jst sleep or i just relax.  If you think you are not ready so don't do it. Nobody want to throw you in the water and let u struggling.  You know your limit, you know yourself better even in our open water manual stated that your safety is in your own hand)

No hard feelings.....I'm not saying not to dive in Crystal Bay but I just feel that experience is a huge factor in certain dive sites.....and people should be made aware by the operators who knows the water best.......operators of whom some trust their life with.

(no you cannot trust your life in anybody's hands. You responsible with your own life.  For example driving a car, can you trust your life in car manufacturer's hand?? Goes back to how you handle your car. If you feels you cannot drive in k. Lumpur so take public transport and then again you still cannot thrust your life in their hand. You know yourself better, you know your own limit and safety in your own hands you decide. Today they went again and dive at Crsytal bay, during their dive suddently they were heat by thermocline, they decided to ascent and abort dive after 20 mins in the water. We were told that Tmp was 16 degrees.
But a few of us just relax and sleep because After our first dive with mantas too tired  to go down again. You see you decide youself, we cant force you. )

Sorry ( noting to be sorry this is a forum we discuss things frm divers to  divers. As for me hearsay sometimes you can accept but most of the times you got to experienced it yourself. Before heading to Bali i was sceptical with the latest outcome when 2 person went missing and found dead.  I did my research, i read bout the other divers before us their experience diving there. I gather informations.  Well after our dive there Alhamdullah we did'nt face tought time.)

:)
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#25  Postby reztitan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:44 pm

i guess what divejunkie is trying to say is with those things Nitrogen addict pointed out at his dive report on CB, 'touchwood' another accident would be unavoidable. Because the authorities just didnt learn anything or taken any steps to prevent another accident from happening.
reztitan
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topics: 2

Post Number:#26  Postby divejunkie » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:29 pm

This is a great video I got of scubaboard that gives us an insight into Crytal Bay.....just thought some of you might be interested. (I just dont know how to make the link work).

Just say NO to practices of commercialism that supersedes common sense :)

http://vimeo.com/30407269

(Just in case -  Its called "Trouble in Paradise - 1st Place Issues - Chris Paporakis by Tim Hochgrebe - On VIMEO)
Last edited by divejunkie on Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
divejunkie
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby run » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 am

thanks for sharing..
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#28  Postby weugene » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:23 pm

thanks for sharing, very good video!

abit off topic but i just want to say that the DM Ranta featured in the video was my DM when i was in Bali 2 weeks ago. I dived with Bali Scuba and i must say that they are very experienced and provide really good service.

anyone going to bali should consider diving with them
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#29  Postby divejunkie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:17 pm

your welcome....glad you guys like it :)
divejunkie
Diver
Diver

Return to Accidents and Incidents