MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Japanese tourist missing in Crystal Bay - Bali

Japanese tourist missing in Crystal Bay - Bali

Japanese tourist missing in Crystal Bay - Bali

Post Number:#1  Postby nightkidz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:45 am

The Denpasar Search and Rescue (SAR) team reported on Monday that a Japanese tourist is missing in the waters off Nusa Penida in Klungkung regency, Bali, since Sunday.

Ai Tanaka, 34, was reportedly diving with 13 other tourists in Crystal Bay, a diving spot near Nusa Penida island, when she disappeared at approximately 1 p.m. The three instructors who assisted the divers could not find her and reported her missing to the SAR team at 2:30 p.m.

SAR personnel, however, could not start the search for her immediately due to bad weather.

The team began the search on Monday morning at 6 a.m., kompas.com reported. (lfr)

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/08/27/japanese-tourist-missing-crystal-bay.html
nightkidz
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Japanese tourist missing in Crystal Bay - Bali

Post Number:#2  Postby nightkidz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:47 am

The body of a Japanese diver who went missing on Sunday during a dive in the Crystal bay area of Nusa Penida was found by search and rescue teams at around 6pm yesterday.

Thirty-four year-old Ai Tanaka failed to surface after a dive last Sunday, prompting a large scale search and rescue effort by a joint team from Karangasem, Klungkung, and Denpasar.

The victim was found not far from the original dive site by crew from the dive operator Dive MM. “She was found at Crystal Bay at a depth of 43 meters,� said Putu Sudiana, head of Denpasar Basarnas last night. “Her BCD (Buoyancy Compensator Device) was intact. She’s still a beginner and maybe panicked,� explained Sudiana.

Once evacuated from the sea, the body of the victim was immediately taken to Sanglah General Hospital in Denpasar.

Initial reports suggest that Ms. Tanaka was suddenly swept away by a heavy current, and being a novice diver was unable to stay on course.
nightkidz
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby theevopig » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:44 am

Actually is 2 diver died when dive at crystal bay. One is on 26/08/12 which is the japanese diver. Another 1 is on 28/08/12 which is a dive guide at nusa peninda. However those who are going to dive there please make sure you listen to the dive guide briefing eventhou you are a profesional diver because you are not familiar with the dive site as those dive guide. Make sure you have log certain dive otherwise dun ever try to dive there it is a dangerous decision to dive there with newbie level.

Here is the news http://www.thejakartapost.com/bali-daily/2012-08-29/crystal-bay-waters-closed-after-two-deaths.html
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Daylight » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:56 am

diving is AWESOME!!!!
Daylight
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby oldturtle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:25 pm

shit ...i thought for a moment it was the beautiful japanese dm in laguna redang...glad it was not her !!!!!
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby nightkidz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:42 pm

hi oldturtle

just justified with laguna is her..... i hear from MR Liu, so sad to hear it .
nightkidz
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby oldturtle » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:09 pm

God Bless her Soul ..I was diving with her during her stint as a DM  not long ago. She was a great DM .What a loss . ..real sad.
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby zaff1984 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:36 pm

curious what really happen to her, since she is experience diver... health problem, human error, mechanical failure or other reasons.. where is her buddy..?
zaff1984
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby seamoth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Crystal Bay can have strong down currents.
seamoth
Diver
Diver

Topics: 3

Post Number:#10  Postby theevopig » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:21 am

Crystal bay Currrent can be anywhere even washing machine. So the dive briefing for all the dive there is very very important. Sometime i will feel that those Pros wont listen to other dive guide's briefing coz they think they are Pro no need to listen to thier briefing haha. Hope the 2 divers RIP.........
New Evolution Pig Which DIVE. Dive more discover more.Enjoy dive and DIVE SAFELY.
theevopig
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby nanda666 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:52 pm

The down currents in Nusa Penida is a killer!! It can take you down to 60m before you can get out.  You have to keep a close watch of the fish....if they're struggling to fight the current..you really don't have a chance.

I've had divers gripping the wall and climbing/crawling their way up....

Pls take care when diving this dive site....it not just experience and skill, it's about being aware of your surroundings too.
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#12  Postby oldturtle » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:57 pm

Is there a an image of the topograhy of the drop-off.? or a sketch will be great .Tks.
oldturtle
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby geraldyne » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:02 pm

though i don't know them but may their soul RIP.

Kinda scare hearing this... I felt my heart skip a beat
YOLO
geraldyne
Diver
Diver

Topics: 3

Post Number:#14  Postby nightkidz » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:19 pm

I think this is still a guess we alk dont know what happend to her. I hear she have a boyfriend in penang. But anyway if diving in crystal bay we need to real caful hook the rock if you can. I have been dive 2011 and 2012.
nightkidz
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby weugene » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:15 pm

it's quite bad to hear what happened to the 2 divers at crystal bay. As of 1.5 weeks ago, police has closed off crystal bay indefinitely and diving there is not allowed

don't know whether this is good or bad. I am heading there next week and there's still no news about whether the ban will be lifted or not. But yea...whoever who is planning to go there...be safe..stay close to the wall and most importantly listen to the briefing

rip to the deceased
nak divinggggggg
weugene
Diver
Diver

Topics: 5

Post Number:#16  Postby decimal86 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:47 am

she is a friend of mine. i use 'is' because in our hearts she is still with us.

her bubbly nature and always with a quick smile will be remembered by us all. such a shock to us all. i know she is in a better place now and i know she will be happy.

give crystal bay a miss lah folks, by my count 7 divers in 3 years is something we should think about? is it worth it when we do not know the forces at work there? spiritual or otherwise.

thats the only place i have seen my bubble stream go downwards..i will never ever dive there again.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#17  Postby aroyo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

well, i dive in crystal bay on 1st sep when my wife got DCS.
our friends continued to dive on that day and on 2nd and 3rd sep.
There were no issue of site closure during that time. i doubt there will be now.
Based on my observation there is no control by the authority at all, it's not like in Sipadan where you need to register before diving.
Hence, I doubt there is any control.
water was between 18-23 degree.
current was moderate. they spotted 2 mola2 on the 2nd dive on 1st sep.
aroyo
Diver
Diver

Return to Accidents and Incidents