MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - FISH BOMBING IN SABAH

FISH BOMBING IN SABAH

FISH BOMBING IN SABAH

Post Number:#1  Postby run » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:39 am

I have mix feelings posting about this cause i am not exactly say NO to eating seafood (but SAY NO TO SHARK"S FIN)
Many tourist have increased going to sempoarna in the past few years and the demand for Cheap seafood had also increase.
A couple of days ago, break news in FB of another fish bombing which happened near to mabul.
for any diver who had experienced fish bombing activity would know and remembered how LOUD the sound was.
It was ear splitting and you could hear ringing sound for a few seconds before your hearing get back to normal.
Fishes and corals damaged.

Eat seafood wisely.
Try not to waste when you eat seafood.
If found any suspicious fisherman activities, please report it.
Try your best not to contribute to any fisherman that sells seafood from bombing activities.
Try to go to restaurants which owns a seafood ponds or kelongs. It will cost more but it helps.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/334363#tab=comments&sc=

Our Awareness now, will help our future.
run
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topic author
Topics: 20

Re: FISH BOMBING IN SABAH

Post Number:#2  Postby toodus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am

I've experienced fish bombing before. It was early morning like around 7am. I went diving alone via a shore dive. Not so deep but only 15metres. Sun was shining. Water was oh so blue. There was a nice mini sardine run going on.

At 12metres, listening to only my regulator dispersing bubbles and looking at jawfishes, suddenly I heard a booming sound. It was quite loud but it was distinct. But the most god honest feeling is that .........when the waves passed through my body, I felt very emotional. On top of that , I was alone and it was just a very emotional feeling for me.

After that, I researched on fish bombing and asked a few Bajaus on their ingredients on making fish bombs and method. Here are some facts :

1. The fish bomb is made out of urea and fertilizers. The fuse is inside the bottle.
2. When the fish bomb explodes underwater, the waves will pass through the fishes body or anything that is nearby and that is how
    the fishes die. The fishes either float up or gets lodge in some coral.
3. The waves can travel up to 15km underwater.  Things travel faster underwater - physics.
4. Our body mass is large enough to absorb the waves but if your body is an inch away from the fish bomb when it explodes, I guess
    your internal organs will be affected as well.

Last edited by toodus on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM
toodus
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Topics: 18

Post Number:#3  Postby decimal86 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:40 pm

yeah when we were diving with Scuba Junkie at Mantabuan, we heard 3 explosions. very close by but hearing ok.
alamak, the tank goes at the back??
decimal86
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Topics: 25

Post Number:#4  Postby Narco » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:04 pm

I kena once. First dive Sipadan. Thought there was a collision or something. Loud and as if the boom is just right next to me. The guide told me, judging from the sound of it, it should be within 5km from where we were at that time.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Return to In The News