MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Diver-to-be and MUW Newbie

Diver-to-be and MUW Newbie

Be free and easy, everyone is welcome. Be whatever you want, but don't be a stranger. :)

Diver-to-be and MUW Newbie

Post Number:#1  Postby matzahar » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:52 am

Hi all and greetings.

Great to know this... For so long I'd been reading the arts and sciences of diving from ScubaBoard (www.scubaboard.com). No dive logged yet - Not certified, however, had some of OW/Nitrox understanding from internet readings. Geared up with most used/2nd hand gears...TUSA mask/snorkel, Bare Attack suit, Avid BCD, Atomic splitfins, Mares R2 reg/Pro Axis 2nd stage, (anyone want to sell cheap n good octo??), S80 Catalina (need VIP/Hydro - previously got one S80 Luxfer but kena curi), M1 RGBM, .... Oh boy... This hobby is getting expensive by minutes.... Cert ? Yelek!! Intend to play play at nearby river...but no buddies...  

Question.. Is it safe to dive in our beloved local waters apart from the so-called Marine Parks??  diving bahaya wooooo.....don't play play....

Selamat Menyelam
matzahar

Topic author

Re: Diver-to-be and MUW Newbie

Post Number:#2  Postby anas » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:33 am

Welcome to MUW.
You can always try a pool. :-)
Last edited by anas on Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:36 am

Hello Diver2B,

Sounds more like you plan to venture into spearfishing. I know of a number of unlicensed divers doing spearfishing, some who are somewhat disabled or have died as they had decompression sickness but knew nothing of it. If you have invested in all those gears, why don't you invest a bit more to do a proper course and get yourself certified? This is more like driving without a licence. Almost anyone can do it, but how would you react in an emergency? I've had experiences diving in rivers, lakes, cess pools, and I can tell you it is not a joke. Imagine losing your mask, or having a regulator failure, or need to recover your regulator, what training have you undergone to ensure you can handle these emergencies as best as possible? Many have died, even personnel from govt depts trained to dive in these conditions, what more if you are not trained.

As for is it safe to dive in our waters other than the Marine Parks, I would say only the diver is his own greatest enemy and his own greatest threat. As I always say: THERE ARE NO BAD DIVE SITES, ONLY BAD DIVERS.

Diving bahaya wooooo.....don't play play....even more dangerous than skydiving and I can tell you that. Please consider proper training. No amount of canggih gear and reading can make you a better diver by not undergoing proper training. Otherwise most of the forumers in here would have become Commercial Divers by now.

Menyelam dengan Selamat
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby ironore » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:45 am

yup yup... theory and practical both are different thing... add up to experience still a long way to go much to learn much to see much to understand...

any way

[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] welcome welcome

[highlight]tak kenal maka tak cinta...[/highlight]
ironore

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby mocha » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:34 pm

welcome to the forum diver2b....
what SD said is so true.... get certified... no matter how confident you are, it is still mandatory to have a dive certification........no amount of reading and studying can substitute the practical training with qualified instructor....
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby GOD » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:52 am

Welcome to MUW!!!!!

Get certified & be safe ... enjoy the underwater world.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby bijan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:00 am

hello Diver2B..welcome to MUW

i know you are all hyped up to dive at the moment, ready with all your theory knowledge, equipment and watnots..We've all been there..BUT please2 get yourself certified and received proper practical training as u will learn more that way..u will actually know and remember the why's, how's and what's on what you read from scubaboard or wherever

as u already know, diving bahaya woo..so please do it the right way..

if u can afford all those gear, why not u get a proper certification with just 1/4 of the total cost of ur gears..i think it wud be a better investment
Last edited by bijan on Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby HoleMaster » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:58 am

Welcome to MUW Diver2B...wah usually ppl get their license first then buy equipment. U the other way around...Btw like others said, get certified first then we can go diving together. Diving is not all abt practical, we need to know their theory as well. Of which is really important for safety. Cheers! ;)
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby HollowMan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:32 am

welcome welcome.... :)
HollowMan

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Jim » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:54 pm

Selamat Datang.....

Like the others hv said.... get your certification bro...............
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby tristen » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 pm

Hello everyone, so macamana Jim, Snafu, ada berani mau pergi TTS ke or Jim has to drop by a specific local grocery shop to get a jar of honey again tonight.
Is there any way to prompt me when a new message comes through?

Guidance?
tristen

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby GOD » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:46 pm

Hello everyone, so macamana Jim, Snafu, ada berani mau pergi TTS ke or Jim has to drop by a specific local grocery shop to get a jar of honey again tonight.

Guidance?

TTS = Tempur Tampa Senjata .....   :D

Nice to see you again bro .. we should do it more often.

Catching-up for diving sometime soon.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby mocha » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:46 pm

TTS = Tempur Tampa Senjata .....   :D

;D

itu dulu bro... now it is tikam tikam sedap or tolak tolak settle....... ;D :D
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:23 am

Guidance?

Done that oledi......
Jim

Topic author

Return to Introductions