MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Free diving accident !

Free diving accident !

A special column as a tribute to a demise. With all do respect only name of the demise and words of remembrance are allow to be posted. No post mortem details is permitted.

Free diving accident !

Post Number:#1  Postby nizaha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:52 am

Hi everyone

Sad news

- Frenchman Loic Leferme, who once held the world's free diving depth record, died Wednesday while training for a new record attempt, his associates said in the southern French city of Nice. The 36-year-old Leferme was killed when the rope apparatus bringing him back to the surface jammed for an unknown reason after he had descended to a depth of 171 metres without the aid of any breathing apparatus.

Leferme was training to surpass the current record of 182 metres, held by Austrian Herbert Nitsch. On October 2, 2005, Nitsch broke Leferme's record depth of 171 metres, which he had set one year earlier.

Leferme set his first world record in no-limits free diving in 1999, at 137 metres. Three years later he reached 162 metres, setting a new mark.

[highlight]í have actual report but in French. [/highlight]
nizaha

Topic author

Re: Free diving accident !

Post Number:#2  Postby GOD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:53 am

What a great loss to the Free Diving Sport

RIP

:)
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby nizaha » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:18 am

My condolences to his family and friends

Zaha
nizaha

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby HollowMan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:23 am

R.I.P
HollowMan

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby zimm » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:26 pm

sad.....
why must ppl do crazy things when diving sud be somethin that you enjoy doing......passionate about it......and loving the underwater world.....not to put your life into the line.......i'm so sad
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby bijan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 pm

hmm..unfortunate incident..RIP

erm zimm, freediving crazy?? MEPHISTO, any input to zimm's comments
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby george » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:52 pm

sad.....
why must ppl do crazy things when diving sud be somethin that you enjoy doing......passionate about it......and loving the underwater world.....not to put your life into the line.......i'm so sad

Testing of human's limitations is endless Zimm, doing crazy things comes with heavy penalties - we ought to know our own limits but NOT in FREEDIVING for me.
george

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby mephisto » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:08 pm

Report as folows:

Free-diving champion dies in accident
by AFP
NICE: French free-diving champion Loic Leferme died yesterday in a training accident off Nice on the Mediterranean coast.  

Leferme, 36, suffered heart failure when the rope pulling him to the surface at the end of a practice dive snagged, colleagues said.

“The rope got caught on something under the water, I have no idea what,said Cedric Palerm, who was on the accompanying boat.

Another diver immediately went down and found Leferme at a depth of around 20m.

“He’d gone beyond the blackout stage.

We gave him heart massage, got out the oxygen.

Then we raced to the emergency services in Nice.

We were there in 10 minutes,said Palerm.

Leferme held for several years the record of the ‘world’s deepest man’, achieving a depth of 171m without breathing apparatus in 2004.

In 2005, he was surpassed by Austrian Herbert Nitsch.

The accident occurred as Leferme trained to recover his title.

Competitive free-diving — or apnea — is an extreme sport in which contestants spend time under water without breathing apparatus.

Born in 1970 into a family of swimming champions, Leferme founded the Nice-based International Centre for Free-Diving in 1999.

He had two children.

“This was his first accident. He wasn’t a daredevil. He was extremely safety conscious,said Palerm.

- if the rope got snagged, then i think he is using the new pulley sistem in No Limits, not the old lift bag system.
- condolences to his family and friends.
- to zimm..thats the price you pay for something you love doing.

HAIL!HAIL!HAIL!
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby superkingkong » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:20 am

RIP...
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby putradiver » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:24 am

Condolance...may he RIP
putradiver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby LaraCroft » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:54 pm

Rest in Peace "O Mighty Loic Leferme"
LaraCroft

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:36 pm

Repos dans la paix, mon ami...

Zimm, I used to jump off buildings with only one chute. No spares.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby superkingkong » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:19 am

no insurance companies want to do your business :P  ;D
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby zimm » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 pm

george, ur so true.....i'm with you.....

mephisto, tks......words do say.........to love someone/somethin, you're willing to die for it......so must we divers go that far.....????? (RIP)

seademon, knowing you.....ur a risk taker man.....even the risk of being in the MUW gossip coloum (which we shud have 1 ;D ;D ;D) chill k........
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby mephisto » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:41 pm

mephisto, tks......words do say.........to love someone/somethin, you're willing to die for it......so must we divers go that far.....????? (RIP)

seademon, knowing you.....ur a risk taker man.....even the risk of being in the MUW gossip coloum (which we shud have 1 ;D ;D ;D) chill k........

yes...that is what we called passion....but you must remember, there are freedivers and there are competition freedivers. freedivers are like us...they dive to enjoy the marine enviroment, competition freedivers do it for records...to be the ultimate in their discipline. to hold the record is to say that you are the best in the world. and they accept the fact that death is part of the game.....what drives them?....only they know... a good example to understand them is to watch the movie Big Blue by luc besson...we can have a glimpse of their motivation.

so the answer to you question is...NO...we are doing it for recreational...its not worth our life....but for the tech divers trying to be the deepest in the world..maybe yes...cause they operate on the same level as the competition freedivers.

there is a difference between passsion and obssesion-pipin ferreras
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby superkingkong » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:52 am

i like this quote :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby zimm » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:53 am

yes...that is what we called passion....but you must remember, there are freedivers and there are competition freedivers. freedivers are like us...they dive to enjoy the marine enviroment, competition freedivers do it for records...to be the ultimate in their discipline. to hold the record is to say that you are the best in the world. and they accept the fact that death is part of the game.....what drives them?....only they know... a good example to understand them is to watch the movie Big Blue by luc besson...we can have a glimpse of their motivation.

so the answer to you question is...NO...we are doing it for recreational...its not worth our life....but for the tech divers trying to be the deepest in the world..maybe yes...cause they operate on the same level as the competition freedivers.

well said mephisto......i'll stick to passion  ;)
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:33 am

I've been rejected by so many insurance companies...if they were girlfriends, I would've committed suicide.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:35 am

Many skydivers live on the edge, Zimm. I stepped over it  ;D

As for gossip column, we'll let putradiver have all the glory...hehehe. I prefer to be below the radar  ;)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby superkingkong » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:34 am

I've been rejected by so many insurance companies...if they were girlfriends, I would've committed suicide.

kekekee .. i guess if they are girlfriends, they will sure like you :P ... if A dies, i get all the money and everything  ;D
superkingkong

Topic author

Return to Memorial