MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - U-859: German submarine off Penang

U-859: German submarine off Penang

For all posts about wrecks - deep or shallow. Share all your wreck secrets here

U-859: German submarine off Penang

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Fri May 18, 2007 6:48 pm

[highlight]This is a tech trip![/highlight]

This Sunday there is a tech trip to the sub. If the weather is okay, I feel like going. The organiser is chartering a fishing boat, and every diver must bring his/her own tank. 2-3 dives. No compressor on board.

Drive there...get on the boat...do the dives, and drive back to KL.

Viz is bad, current can be strong. Don't say you've not been warned.

Tech divers interested, let me know a.s.a.p.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: U-859: German submarine off Penang

Post Number:#2  Postby GOD » Fri May 18, 2007 8:20 pm

Bro...I think recreational diver also can join ...... hmmmmm do ask the organiser first.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Fri May 18, 2007 8:32 pm

Can...

But I've been told that they want tech divers because they specifically want self-sufficient divers who do not need to be sheperded, comfortable in low viz and strong currents.

I'll call him again.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby anas » Sat May 19, 2007 6:03 am

very tempting...  :-*
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby superkingkong » Sat May 19, 2007 6:20 am

wah.. tempting leh  :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby wing0112 » Sat May 19, 2007 9:11 am

yes.. the organiser 1 2 salvage the subs ar? or study purposes? too bad no techie exp.
wing0112

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby superkingkong » Sat May 19, 2007 9:44 am

yes.. the organiser 1 2 salvage the subs ar? or study purposes? too bad no techie exp.

y want to salvage sub?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby deepblu » Sat May 19, 2007 12:50 pm

tempting tempting tempting....
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby bijan » Sat May 19, 2007 4:25 pm

courtesy of www.uboat.net
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby bubble_trouble » Sat May 19, 2007 7:10 pm

whats the depth?
bubble_trouble

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby GOD » Sat May 19, 2007 7:32 pm

whats the depth?

What I was told by SeaDemon...[highlight]depth 30m-32m[/highlight]

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby pink-fins » Sat May 19, 2007 7:39 pm

Hey! Wot were the Germans doing in Malaya during the Japanese invasion??? Interesting...!!!

One eerie thot crossed me mind - ermm.. it's a submarine, ermm,.. would water ermm eventually flood the submarine, even after all those years? And ermmm would there be skeletors in there??? *shudder*

Hahaha now I sound like a bimb blonde huh???  ;D
pink-fins

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby superkingkong » Sat May 19, 2007 11:24 pm

now i really would want to go  :(
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby SeaDemon » Sat May 19, 2007 11:41 pm

Hey! Wot were the Germans doing in Malaya during the Japanese invasion??? Interesting...!!!

One eerie thot crossed me mind - ermm.. it's a submarine, ermm,.. would water ermm eventually flood the submarine, even after all those years? And ermmm would there be skeletors in there??? *shudder*

Hahaha now I sound like a bimb blonde huh???  ;D

Hello Mek.

Skeletor if you can find, you're sure to find He-Man la. Otherwise you can see She-Males along Padang Kota Lama or Chulia Street in Penang.

The Germans were part of the Axis powers besides Italy and Japan. Japan was their source for raw materials, and Malaya at that time, was one of their destinations.

There is also an Italian submarine off northern Perak coast called the UIT-23 "Reginaldo Giuliani."

There were German soldiers stationed in the Hulu Langat area in Selangor during WW2. My father's friend used to take family members and survivors on trips to this "camp."
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby Snafuette » Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 pm

you want to go?? how lah SKK... u get your ass back here in Malaysia first then we can arrange diving trips with you.......
Snafuette

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby timyang » Sun May 20, 2007 12:11 pm

The Germans were part of the Axis powers besides Italy and Japan. Japan was their source for raw materials, and Malaya at that time, was one of their destinations.

There is also an Italian submarine off northern Perak coast called the UIT-23 "Reginaldo Giuliani."

There were German soldiers stationed in the Hulu Langat area in Selangor during WW2. My father's friend used to take family members and survivors on trips to this "camp."

The Reginaldo Giuliani was the original Italian name for the sub. It was among several Italian submarines taken over by the Germans in a deal made with the Italian Admirality late in WWII. It was recommissioned as UIT-23 by the Germans after refitting -- extra cargo storage space, German-language instrumentation, removal of weaponery.

At the time, the Germans were facing supply problems. Among them, not enough essential items like rubber. The Japanese were supplying the Germans with these items. But several ships from the German fleet were getting sunk transporting them. So the German admirality sent submarines to do the transportation -- safer underwater.

But with the mounting German losses, the German submarines were diverted to defend the northern waters.

So in desperation, the German admirality bought Italian subs to do the transportation. There is more than one sunken recommissioned Italian sub in the area.
timyang

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby superkingkong » Sun May 20, 2007 12:27 pm

you want to go?? how lah SKK... u get your ass back here in Malaysia first then we can arrange diving trips with you.......

kekeke.. SD has "adviced" me to stab my manager.. if i want to come back early :P

pathetic lah me... everyday can see me talk rooster in this forum only... no chance to go diving  :'(  ;D
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby SeaDemon » Sun May 20, 2007 12:41 pm

The Reginaldo Giuliani was the original Italian name for the sub. It was among several Italian submarines taken over by the Germans in a deal made with the Italian Admirality late in WWII. It was recommissioned as UIT-23 by the Germans after refitting -- extra cargo storage space, German-language instrumentation, removal of weaponery.

At the time, the Germans were facing supply problems. Among them, not enough essential items like rubber. The Japanese were supplying the Germans with these items. But several ships from the German fleet were getting sunk transporting them. So the German admirality sent submarines to do the transportation -- safer underwater.

But with the mounting German losses, the German submarines were diverted to defend the northern waters.

So in desperation, the German admirality bought Italian subs to do the transportation. There is more than one sunken recommissioned Italian sub in the area.

Actually the Reginaldo Giuliani and her sister ship, the Alpino Bagnolini, were NOT bought by the Kriegsmarine. They were taken over by the Kriegsmarine in September 1943 following the capitulation of Italy, and renamed UIT-23 and UIT-22 respectively. The Reginaldo Giuliani was in Singapore when she was taken over by the Germans, while the Alpino Bagnolini was in Bordeaux, France.  UIT-22 was sunk in March 1944 by a South African aircraft with all hands lost, while the UIT-23 was sunk by a British submarine, the HM/S Tally-Ho, the same sub that sunk the Japanese light cruiser, HMIJNS Kuma, also off Penang.

There are no other Italian-built subs sunk in this area.  The German Kriegsmarine only took 4 ex-Italian submarines; the other two, the Comandante Alfredo Cappellini and the Luigi Torelli (re-commissioned into the Kriegsmarine as UIT-24 and UIT-25 respectively) were captured after the war and scuttled.  The UIT-24 and UIT-25 were undergoing overhaul in Japan when the Germans surrendered in May 1945. The Japanese Imperial Navy took over these sub and renamed them I-503 and  I-504 respectively but never got to use them operationally. They were surrendered at Kobe after the war and were scuttled in Japan.

The UIT-24 and UIT-25 were the only submarines to have flown all three Axis powers flags (Italian, German and Japanese).

Other submarines sunk in this area are 3 Japanese subs, 3 Dutch subs, 1 American. 9 in total.
Last edited by SeaDemon on Sun May 20, 2007 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby pink-fins » Sun May 20, 2007 1:16 pm

So these subs are there in Selat Melaka? Hmmm not that deep la kan? Heheh, advance divers can just touch and go la like that  ;D

If you go take pictures kay, and story to us how the subs look like.. am curious..
pink-fins

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby SeaDemon » Sun May 20, 2007 7:11 pm

So these subs are there in Selat Melaka? Hmmm not that deep la kan? Heheh, advance divers can just touch and go la like that  ;D

If you go take pictures kay, and story to us how the subs look like.. am curious..

Well, you'll be surprised how deeper the Melaka Strait is as compared to the South China Sea. Depth there can exceed 100m whereas our part of the South China Sea (from Natuna to East Coast), the deepest is only 72m and that is in Tioman...not far from shore.

The Dutch subs are all in the South China Sea, sunk during the opening days of the Pacific War.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby pink-fins » Sun May 20, 2007 7:20 pm

Well, you'll be surprised how deeper the Melaka Strait is as compared to the South China Sea. Depth there can exceed 100m whereas our part of the South China Sea (from Natuna to East Coast), the deepest is only 72m and that is in Tioman...not far from shore.

Ouuwww bummer... a certain someone cant use her knowledge on "AOW" la like this. She cant go down all the way to 600m...  ;D ;D ;D
pink-fins

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby SeaDemon » Sun May 20, 2007 7:33 pm

Ouuwww bummer... a certain someone cant use her knowledge on "AOW" la like this. She cant go down all the way to 600m...  ;D ;D ;D

Ahhh...cruel....

But I like  ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 12:12 am

delicious! Image
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 21, 2007 2:52 am

I'd like to make a little correction about the number of subs sunk in our area.

There are 10 and not 9.  I'll list them according to their country of make:

Germany - 3 (U-859, sunk in action off Penang; U-181, scuttled after WW2 off Port Klang as the Japanese submarine I-501; U-862,scuttled after WW2 off Port Klang as the Japanese submarine I-502)
Japan - 2 (I-166, sunk in action off One Fathom Bank in Selangor; I-34, sunk in action off Penang)
Dutch - 3 (O-16, sunk by mines off Tioman; K-17, sunk by mines off Tioman; O-20 sunk in action off Kelantan)
Italian - 1 (Reginaldo Giuliani, sunk in action as Germany's UIT-23, off Perak)
US - 1 (USS Grenadier SS-210, sunk in action off northern Sumatra)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 4:54 am

I'd like to make a little correction about the number of subs sunk in our area.

There are 10 and not 9.  I'll list them according to their country of make:

Germany - 3 (U-859, sunk in action off Penang; U-181, scuttled after WW2 off Port Klang as the Japanese submarine I-501; U-862,scuttled after WW2 off Port Klang as the Japanese submarine I-502)
Japan - 2 (I-166, sunk in action off One Fathom Bank in Selangor; I-34, sunk in action off Penang)
Dutch - 3 (O-16, sunk by mines off Tioman; K-17, sunk by mines off Tioman; O-20 sunk in action off Kelantan)
Italian - 1 (Reginaldo Giuliani, sunk in action as Germany's UIT-23, off Perak)
US - 1 (USS Grenadier SS-210, sunk in action off northern Sumatra)

do you know the depth of these subs and are we able to dive to these subs?

thanks
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 21, 2007 5:22 am

All of them are in waters deeper than 40m except the U-859 which is at 32m.

However, since it is very close to Penang, current and very low viz can pose as a challenge.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 5:47 am

geezz... tech diving lagi  ::)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 21, 2007 5:57 am

No, doesn't have to be.

You can always do single cylinder recreational to visit the I-501 and I-502 at over 90 meters. But that's entirely up to you la.
Last edited by SeaDemon on Mon May 21, 2007 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 21, 2007 6:58 am

No, doesn't have to be.

You can always do single cylinder recreational to visit the I-501 and I-502 at over 90 meters. But that's entirely up to you la.

kekeke... youtube clips on MUW page u will see the next  ;D

until 73m only psai NM max level 6 is ::)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby pink-fins » Mon May 21, 2007 9:45 am

No, doesn't have to be.

Demon, dont you ever sleep?
pink-fins

Topic author

Next

Return to Wreck Diving