MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - D*mn... someone died b4 on the wreck i dove...

D*mn... someone died b4 on the wreck i dove...

For all posts about wrecks - deep or shallow. Share all your wreck secrets here

D*mn... someone died b4 on the wreck i dove...

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:42 am

3 divers died on the wreck i dove with... according to them, till now they have not found their bodies... too deep

have u ever penetrate any wrecks? Is Padi Wreck Specialty much helpful?

"Dive on Spiegel Grove wreck off Key Largo turns deadly for 3

sun-sentinel.com
Posted March 16 2007, 4:30 PM EDT

KEY LARGO -- Three divers died on Friday while diving on the Spiegel Grove ship wreck, the Monroe County Sheriff's office said.

In an e-mailed statement, Becky Herrin, spokeswoman for MSO, said the three men were part of a four-man team that was diving on the popular wreck from the commercial dive boat Scuba-do. All were reportedly advanced certified divers and planned a penetration dive into the sunken wreck. That's when something apparently went wrong.

LocalLinks

``These wrecks can be very confusing inside,'' Herrin said. ``There's a lot of places to go wrong.

None of the four divers were immediately identified but Herrin said all were from New Jersey. They were not related, but were friends traveling together.

Herrin said the four divers dove on the Spiegel Grove wreck the day before. They did a penetration dive at that time as well, she said.

Here's what Herrin said happened on Friday:

One of the divers was stationed at the entrance of the and the other three went inside. The release did not say how deep the divers were. The ship was sunk about 5 miles off Key Largo in the Atlantic.

The diver left outside the wreck began to run out of air, according to detectives. He surfaced safely.

Two divers from another boat went down to look for the others. They surfaced with one diver who was in distress. That diver was taken on board a Coast Guard vessel where CPR was performed. Paramedics met the boat at shore and transported the victim to Mariner's Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The two other divers did not surface and initial searches of the wreck failed to locate them.

Just after 2 p.m., a dive team from Key Largo Fire Rescue that was searching the wreck located their bodies inside. According to detectives, the bodies are so deep inside, it will be difficult to recover them. More divers from that team will be deployed to the wreck on Saturday and will make another attempt at recovery.

Names of the divers were not released pending notification of next of kin.

The USS Spiegel Grove was a Navy Landing Ship Dock that was sunk to create an artificial reef off Key Largo in 2002. The vessel is 510 feet in length and 84 feet wide. When it was sunk it went down on its side. In 2005, underwater currents caused by Hurricane Dennis shifted the ship upright into its present underwater berth. The highest point of the ship now sits 40 to 60 feet below the surface. "
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: D*mn... someone died b4 on the wreck i dove...

Post Number:#2  Postby anas » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:58 am

Sad.
Bro, you mentioned too deep? How deep is too deep?
The excerpt says, "The highest point of the ship now sits 40 to 60 feet below the surface." that is just 12 - 18+ meter.
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:01 am

According to http://www.spiegelgrove.com/, the ship resides at a depth of 134 ft near Dixie Shoals in Key Largo. that will be about 40m?

i supposed they are inside deep deep in one of the compartment... if there gonna launch a search & recovery... it will be hard.. looking at this gigantic vessel...

maybe the highest point is the antenna thing :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:21 pm

Diving a wreck, as any dives in an overhead environment (including deep decompression dives), should only be done by trained divers. The preparation needed for such a dive has to be done very elaborately.  To penetrate deeply into a wreck, you will need to have guiding lines...strong lights..lights marking your egress point should also be in place as compasses are of no use in a wreck. Your buoyancy must be superbly superb. You MUST abide by the rule of thirds,rock bottom gas calculation etc.  Penentrating a wreck at 40m depth automatically means you'll be doing a decompression dive. You must have your 5-deco plans (at least) at the ready. You must know your turn around time, and follow your run time. You must know which way the current flows dring the time of dive as current flow that gets into the wreck can create havoc...churn up silt, make you lose your sense of direction.

PADI Wreck Specialty offers some help, but not enough to allow for deep penetration of wrecks. PADI Wreck Specialty is just recreational wreck diving whereas deep penetration requires Advanced Wreck course...a technical diving course.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:16 pm

wondering whether can bring multiple tank inside so as to extend bottom time, but then again, space is limited...
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:50 pm

wondering whether can bring multiple tank inside so as to extend bottom time, but then again, space is limited...

Do a proper tech course. No amount of tank will be useful if you cannot find them due to silting/poor viz.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:19 pm

Do a proper tech course. No amount of tank will be useful if you cannot find them due to silting/poor viz.

hmm... true also...

thanks mate  :)

(Off topic)
hmm.. sometimes, the way i see it, we spent money to further our educations, so that we can get more knowledges, and work, and hoping one day we have a successful career and can earn a lot of money...

but some how, diving needs certifications, and certification needs money, and further as we go along, it will burn our $$, but all we got is enjoyment & excitement  ;D but eat maggi mee every day  ;D ;D ;D
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:12 am

Be safe. Gaining knowledge is good. It makes you understand things better..understand why certain things must be done in certain ways.

As for burning $$, so far I've burnt RM26047 on courses and equipment. My life is worth more than that...a lot more.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby superkingkong » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:34 am

Be safe. Gaining knowledge is good. It makes you understand things better..understand why certain things must be done in certain ways.

As for burning $$, so far I've burnt RM26047 on courses and equipment. My life is worth more than that...a lot more.

wah... exact figure some more... for me, i don't dare to calculate :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby maltymouse » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:03 pm

creepy i dun really like wreck its so eeerieeee   [smiley=rolleyes.gif]
maltymouse

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby superkingkong » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:30 am

this one consider normal tourist/diver spot ...

the other one.. at north carolina wreck diving ... they called it the graveyard of the Atlantic... coz i guess many subs and warships was sucken there.. during battle or something :)

plan to go there ... kekekeee.. to one of the sub :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:29 am

Off Cape Hatteras is where you can find the U-boats, mainly sunk during the early parts of World War 2.  Lots of merchantmen were sunk there too, some very close to shore, when the various east coast states refused to apply a ban on lights at night thus silhouetting these merchantmen making them easy targets for the U-boats.  Some of the U-boats are in relatively shallow waters (<30m)...lots of Sand Tigers patrol these wrecks.

3 years ago I read a book, I cannot remember the title, on the experiences of the men of the USCG Dione, one of the 30m cutters that patrolled the area in search for U-boats. Lots of info on the sunken merchantmen and their hunters there.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby superkingkong » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:46 am

supprisingly... i did a search on diving in that area... not many ops going to those places  :-?
superkingkong

Topic author

Return to Wreck Diving