MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial reefs

Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial reefs

For all posts about wrecks - deep or shallow. Share all your wreck secrets here

Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial reefs

Post Number:#1  Postby timyang » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:36 am

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/National/20070821075623/Article/index_html
2007/08/21
RM20m reefs from old ships
By : Sean Augustin

KUALA TERENGGANU: Two decommissioned foreign naval ships are poised to be sunk in Malaysian waters next year to create artificial reefs, the first of its kind here.
The ships, between 110m and 160m in length, will come from the United States and Canada and are scheduled to be sunk off Pulau Redang here and Pulau Tioman, Pahang.

It will be done simultaneously.

The project, estimated to cost about RM20 million, will be undertaken by the Kuala Terengganu Rotary Club and the B&J Diving Centre Sdn Bhd as well as the state government.

The Rotary club and B&J are looking to choose two from the three options made available, namely a US navy ship, a Canadian destroyer or a Canadian MARS class ship to be either donated or purchased with a minimal fee.
B&J, located on Tioman, has more than 20 years’ experience in professional scuba diving and scuba diving education.

The company is also a pioneer and expert in recreational and technical wreck diving.

Terengganu Rotary president Scott Steven said shipwrecks as artificial reefs had better benefits compared to other artificial reefs like reefballs or through the electro-deposition process, which have very little impact, both on marine ecology and the tourism industry.

Reefballs are ball-shaped artificial reefs made out of concrete, while electro-deposition is the process where a metal artificial reef is set under constant electric current to enhance coral growth.

Studies show that wrecks reduce the pressure of scuba diving on existing natural reefs by up to 20 per cent.

A well chosen site also means that there will be no negative impact reported on the existing natural reef.

Steven said a large ship wreck sunk intentionally as an artificial reef, provides shelter and protection for a myriad of marine species.

To date artificial wrecks (including several small wooden vessels in the vicinity of Pulau Tioman) are known to attract certain species, which do not find a stronghold on natural coral reefs.

These include frogfish, leaf fish, pipefish and moray eels.

He also said that with more fish being attracted to such reefs, a large artificial wreck sunk in a strategic place would encourage more people to dive in the area.

"This will augur well for Visit Terengganu Year 2008 as the shipwrecks will provide a new site for tourists," Steven told the New Straits Times.

Steven, a former military engineer, said the idea of sinking the ships came about as he was studying alternative methods for artificial reef projects for the club. At the same time, his friend B&J Diving Centre marketing and sales director Martin Ritter was working on the same idea.

"Then a mutual friend from the Malaysian Sports Diving Association got us together to collaborate on the project."

While Steven is confident of securing the vessels, he however needs to raise funds to tow the ships preferably before the monsoon season.

The funds will also be used to clean and sink the ships.

The Rotary Kuala Terengganu and B&J will work closely with local authorities and international advisers to ensure that international guidelines are followed.

"Right now we are liasing with the relevant government authorities like the Defence Ministry and the Natural Resources and Environment Ministry for their input," Steven said.
timyang

Topic author

Re: Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial ree

Post Number:#2  Postby sheik » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:45 am

way to go, B&J!
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial ree

Post Number:#3  Postby ikan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:50 am

yupppersss ... imagine what it'll be like in 3 years .... peghhhh ... i hope they will sink it where it is accessible for both, recreational and technical .... and more imagine all those penetrations ...  :D

way to go man ...
Last edited by ikan on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
if u are going to be dumb, u better be tough ....
ikan
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#4  Postby najiBEST » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:50 am

nice one...now i think i'll take up wreck diving :P
DIVE DIVE DIVE ...
najiBEST
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Re: Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial reefs

Post Number:#5  Postby Ery » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:53 am

thanks tim yang..i hve nothing but to agree with ikan...it should be accesible to both recreational and technical as well.  :angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Re: Two naval ships to be sunk off Redang and Tioman next year as artificial reefs

Post Number:#6  Postby zimm » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:55 am

hey this is kwel.....cant wait to dive here......
will definitely dive nitrox........
ben (b&j),
i'm so there when its ready :glasses9:
For every beauty there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth there is an ear somewhere to hear it. For every love there is a heart somewhere to receive it.
zimm
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#7  Postby Adzri » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:50 am

Thanks tim for the info!!!
Adzri
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#8  Postby bijan » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:53 am

wow..thats a big rig..yeay!!
"Strength is not the attitude of knowing everything, but rather an acceptance of everything"
bijan
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Update: Editor of NST thinks it's a bad idea to make artificial reefs of wrecks

Post Number:#9  Postby timyang » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:55 am

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Columns/20070821072845/Article/index_html

EDITORIAL: Sinking ships

THIRTY years ago, a cargo ship sprung a leak and was scuttled off Pulau Pinang in the Redang group of islands. It flattened the reef where it was grounded, but eventually it was cut up for scrap, leaving just the keel and a section of the stern in the water.

Today, these remnants of that ship are festooned with coral and thronged with fish, and actually form part of the boundary of the Marine Park Department’s house reef. Shipwrecks make great habitats for marine life, no doubt. So much so, there’s been a trend in recent years to deliberately sink scrapped ships for the express purpose of giving marine life new habitats and recreational divers new sites to visit. It’s been done in Malaysian waters — between Pulau Paya and Pulau Kaca off Kedah, midway between Langkawi and Penang, marine agencies sank three confiscated fishing boats some years ago. They’ve become popular dive sites.

This appeal is one advantage offered by shipwreck reefs. Earlier experiments with old tyres had mixed fortunes, becoming covered by sediment or breaking free of their moorings. More advanced techniques utilising concrete "reef balls" create more stable structures but are more expensive. The proposal to tow a couple of retired US or Canadian navy ships halfway around the planet to sink them near Redang and Perhentian, however, is an eyebrow-raiser. The cost of such an operation — an estimated RM20 million — is not peanuts, though not unreasonable in view of the logistical difficulties and vast ocean crossings involved.

Prior to sinking, these relics must be thoroughly cleaned of hydrocarbons and stripped of other potentially damaging materials, such as the lead-based paint used on most war-vintage vessels. Then there’s the matter of site selection. Once resting on the seabed, the highest parts of these wrecks’ superstructure must not come within 7m of the surface so as not to be a hazard to surface vessels. For ships of the size being considered, this could mean needing water depths of 40m-50m, which would at least have the advantage of locating these wrecks well offshore. Attractive as these sites may be to divers, they’d need to be experienced to explore them. In which case, they already have a couple of genuine historical wrecks off the peninsular East Coast to visit: The remains of the British warships Prince of Wales and Repulse. For the famous coral islands of Terengganu and Pahang, however, it’s questionable whether a project on this scale would be worth the risk, effort and cost.
timyang

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby Bobo® » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:48 pm

Tim Yang wrote:http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Columns/20070821072845/Article/index_html

(snip...)
For the famous coral islands of Terengganu and Pahang, however, it’s questionable whether a project on this scale would be worth the risk, effort and cost.

I'm attracted to this...
;)
Dive Tenggara Adventure [1696725-D] twitter - @divetenggara
Need Seac-Sub, Pelican, Fantasea Line, DAN Insurance, call me www.divetenggara.com :: 019-2121109 :: info@divetenggara.com
Bobo®
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#11  Postby babyFin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:34 pm

waaa!!!! fantastic!!
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#12  Postby Ery » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:43 pm

good to know that, thanks bro!  :smileinbox:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:46 pm

Bonjour,

This is great for the diving industry. More wrecks......more wreck-diving.......more nark outing...... :D :D :D

Thanks for the posts, Tim Yang. Looks like you are now MUW's official newsman..... :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#14  Postby dp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:41 pm

bobo wrote:
Tim Yang wrote:http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Tuesday/Columns/20070821072845/Article/index_html

(snip...)
For the famous coral islands of Terengganu and Pahang, however, it’s questionable whether a project on this scale would be worth the risk, effort and cost.

I'm attracted to this...
;)

As it stands, the Repulse and the POW - both at similar depths to where these new wrecks will be placed - are currently accessible and explored by experienced and trained divers (in other words, technical divers la....)

Nothing recreational about this, me thinks.

my 2 sen (from the 20 million proposed budget) worth.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#15  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:00 pm

[quote="deepblu"]
As it stands, the Repulse and the POW - both at similar depths to where these new wrecks will be placed - are currently accessible and explored by experienced and trained divers (in other words, technical divers la....)
/quote]
Bonsoir deepblu,

I really hope they don't sink those wrecks too deep. Should leave at least one wreck at say 20-25 metres. The other can go about 40m so you have some thing left for recreational divers. Afterall, tec divers already have two toys in Repulse and POW.
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#16  Postby aquaholic » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks for the info Tim. In addition to making the wrecks eco friendly, I hope the powers-that-be will also make it recreational diver friendly by removing the doors/bulkheads (or welding them open), windows and bits that can snag divers. Perhaps you can provide input into the project from a diver's perspective?

Now....if you can only ask them to leave the portholes intact  ;)
aquaholic
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#17  Postby Ery » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:15 pm

aquaholic wrote:Thanks for the info Tim. In addition to making the wrecks eco friendly, I hope the powers-that-be will also make it recreational diver friendly by removing the doors/bulkheads (or welding them open), windows and bits that can snag divers. Perhaps you can provide input into the project from a diver's perspective?

wouldnt that be risky?  [-( [-( [-(
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#18  Postby dp » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:22 pm

aquaholic wrote:

keeping fingers and toes and other things crossed.  ;)
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#19  Postby babyFin » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:36 pm

leave the portholes intact..sure o not??
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#20  Postby Nizaha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:01 am

Well done B&J ...

I know already about this project, just keep quite unitl been publish..

Safe diving\
Zaha
Equipment can go to those depths, but your body might not be able to..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#21  Postby matpung » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:32 am

I'm really glad to hear this news... :icon_rr:
matpung
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#22  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:41 pm

deepblu wrote:As it stands, the Repulse and the POW - both at similar depths to where these new wrecks will be placed - are currently accessible and explored by experienced and trained divers (in other words, technical divers la....)

Can la. Who says POW or Repulse is reserved for tech divers? Seven Skies can what. Sipadan rec divers go to 80 meters on single tank.

Dive la. Your instructor is not gonna be there to penalise you, like your driving instructor's not there to penalise you when you do 140km/h or more
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#23  Postby Scorpenesub » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:28 pm

SeaDemon wrote:
deepblu wrote:As it stands, the Repulse and the POW - both at similar depths to where these new wrecks will be placed - are currently accessible and explored by experienced and trained divers (in other words, technical divers la....)

Can la. Who says POW or Repulse is reserved for tech divers? Seven Skies can what. Sipadan rec divers go to 80 meters on single tank.
Dive la. Your instructor is not gonna be there to penalise you, like your driving instructor's not there to penalise you when you do 140km/h or more

Bonsoir SeaDemon,

Are you pulling deepblu's leg here? Unless you go nitrox, by the time you reach the top most portion wreck of repulse, it is time to start your ascend given your limited air supply at 42 metres. Then with all the decom stops....you would have seen literally little of the wreck itself.....Unless you go twin tank.... :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#24  Postby Nizaha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:48 pm

scorpenesub wrote:
SeaDemon wrote:

Bonsoir SeaDemon,

Are you pulling deepblu's leg here? Unless you go nitrox, by the time you reach the top most portion wreck of repulse, it is time to start your ascend given your limited air supply at 42 metres. Then with all the decom stops....you would have seen literally little of the wreck itself.....Unless you go twin tank.... :D :D :D

Nitrox doesn't help diving around 42 mtr either !! No point to dive at 42 mtr in one minute and came back up again.. and then tell everyone you have been in Repulse. Diving around 40 mtr or deeper normoxic trimix or trimix more appopriate.

Safe diving

Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#25  Postby mocha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:55 pm

scorpenesub wrote:Bonsoir SeaDemon,

Are you pulling deepblu's leg here? [glow=red,2,300]Unless you go nitrox[/glow], by the time you reach the top most portion wreck of repulse, it is time to start your ascend given your limited air supply at 42 metres. Then with all the decom stops....you would have seen literally little of the wreck itself.....Unless you go twin tank.... :D :D :D

well....at EAN36 and PPO2= 1.4 your max depth would be about 28.9m and
EAN 32 and PPO2=1.4 your max depth would be about 33.7m....
so i dun think you can do a nitrox dive if max depth is at 42m... and if u go wif air, u have a mere 8 minutes before you burst your NDL....so, its your call whether u are 'fit' to dive PoW or Repulse...
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#26  Postby Nizaha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:07 pm

mocha wrote:

Are you pulling deepblu's leg here? [glow=red,2,300]Unless you go nitrox[/glow], by the time you reach the top most portion wreck of repulse, it is time to start your ascend given your limited air supply at 42 metres. Then with all the decom stops....you would have seen literally little of the wreck itself.....Unless you go twin tank.... :D :D :D

so i dun think you can do a nitrox dive if max depth is at 42m... and if u go wif air, u have a mere 8 minutes before you burst your NDL....so, its your call whether u are 'fit' to dive PoW or Repulse...

Or dive with Air with PPO@ 1.6 = 66 mtr and same you having  20 martini on your head, You might see Pink Elephant .. :D :D :D

safe diving

Zaha
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#27  Postby mocha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 pm

Nizaha wrote:
mocha wrote:

Or dive with Air with PPO@ 1.6 = 66 mtr and same you having  20 martini on your head, You might see Pink Elephant .. :D :D :D

safe diving

Zaha

hehe... dun intend to go that extreme bro.... i'd rather have martini on dry land....
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#28  Postby Nizaha » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 pm

mocha wrote:
Nizaha wrote:
mocha wrote:

safe diving

Zaha

hehe... dun intend to go that extreme bro.... i'd rather have martini on dry land....

haha...I know mocha. just an example..
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#29  Postby John F SeaDemon » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:21 am

I say man, people. Be adventurous la. Everything including diving comes with some risks. If you drink a bottle of budu like me before the dive, then take recreational Nitrox. Use a 32% mix.

Using a PPO2 of 2.0 you can go down to 52m. That is good enough for the Repulse.

The Repulse is a good dive site. As long as you are an Advanced Open Water diver with Nitrox certification, you can dive there. With 32% Nitrox.

But don't say this came from me la. :D :D :D :D :D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#30  Postby Nizaha » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:29 am

SeaDemon wrote:I say man, people. Be adventurous la. Everything including diving comes with some risks. If you drink a bottle of budu like me before the dive, then take recreational Nitrox. Use a 32% mix.

Using a PPO2 of 2.0 you can go down to 52m. That is good enough for the Repulse.

The Repulse is a good dive site. As long as you are an Advanced Open Water diver with Nitrox certification, you can dive there. With 32% Nitrox.

But don't say this came from me la. :D :D :D :D :D

Hi SD..

I can see myself watching the Pink Elephant dancing around the torpedo holes....hhahhaa :D :D :D
Last edited by Nizaha on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nizaha
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Next

Return to Wreck Diving