MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Underwater Archaeology

Underwater Archaeology

For all posts about wrecks - deep or shallow. Share all your wreck secrets here

Underwater Archaeology

Post Number:#1  Postby nautallica » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:29 am

;D hi there, just to let you all know, that malaysia have their own underwater archaeology research to preserve and promote awareness of national heritage and treasure. feel free to ask whatever you guys want to ask...InsyaAllah i'll answer it with my best...cheers!!
nautallica

Topic author

Re: Underwater Archaeology

Post Number:#2  Postby najibest » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:38 am

waaa.nice to know that. can join ka? interesting job indeed :)
najibest

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby nautallica » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:10 am

waaa.nice to know that. can join ka? interesting job indeed :)

8-) indeed !!!! but with utmost responsible attitude towards national heritage
nautallica

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby anas » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:38 am

;D hi there, just to let you all know, that malaysia have their own underwater archaeology research to preserve and promote awareness of national heritage and treasure. feel free to ask whatever you guys want to ask...InsyaAllah i'll answer it with my best...cheers!!

Wrecks always fascinate most of us. If the wrecks are all a part of heritage, it's even better.
any way some of us can go dive around them? would you reckon any site? trip?
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby marlene » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:57 am

underwater national heritage?... this is interesting.. so is this governed by the Heritage Act or Antiquities Act or some other new Act?

It's already difficult as it is to try to preserve national heritage "on land".. (eg the Bok House) how is this done for UW heritage / artifacts?
marlene

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby nautallica » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:50 am

underwater national heritage?... this is interesting.. so is this governed by the Heritage Act or Antiquities Act or some other new Act?

It's already difficult as it is to try to preserve national heritage "on land".. (eg the Bok House) how is this done for UW heritage / artifacts?

:D you're right one thing though...is not easy to preserve it...however we all as divers can spread the words of awareness of our underwater cultural heritage not just wrecks but anything that matters with aqua environments....
nautallica

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby nautallica » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:53 am

Wrecks always fascinate most of us. If the wrecks are all a part of heritage, it's even better.
any way some of us can go dive around them? would you reckon any site? trip?

actually anything that sank more than 100 years old regards as underwater cultural heritage not just shipwreck....and for the world wars ships all are monuments of the past..please dive with full of respects and appreciations....there are souls that lost in the wars.....
nautallica

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby mocha » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:58 am

sorry to break ya momentum bro! it would be great if u can intro yaself at intro sction.... would be much better if we know who we are talking to... :)
Last edited by mocha on Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby bijan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:15 am

bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby nautallica » Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:38 am

me already intro masa...MIDE 07 hehehhe
nautallica

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby mocha » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 pm

oppppsss.... my bad...sorry bro... cant seem to find his earlier post...... traffic too heavy nowadays...  :)
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby leafbug » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:53 pm

oppppsss.... my bad...sorry bro... cant seem to find his earlier post...... traffic too heavy nowadays...  :)

speaking of which... is there a button such as "Show All Unred Message Since Your Last Visit" so we're not lost... well, at least me - I'm always lost where n which thread I've read n not, relying on the most recent posts on the right column.

ok, sorry off track a bit eh. moderators?
leafbug

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby nautallica » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:54 am

some article for you guys to read..... ;)

Before any underwater archaeological works has been carried out a comprehensive research and studies need to be made. Historical documentations such as old texts, reports, journals, archive records and books are some of the information that needs to be researched.

Even tales or legends also can give us a clue and information about the journey and event of the ship. Fisherman also can help us about the site information because they spend most of their time at the sea. Some time the artifacts caught up onto their nets trawlers. Modern fishermen always kept their navigational information using the “Global Positioning Systems” and the traditional fisherman used their expertise in familiarizing themselves at sea.

After all the information has been gathered a survey will take place. Using the scientific equipment such as the side scan sonar and the magnetometer. The side scan sonar may send sonar beeps sideways about 200 meters out and then it wills transfers to the plotter to gives an image. Magnetometer is equipment for detecting iron.

After an image of a ship shown in a plotter, a pre-disturbance survey will be carried out. It is essential, therefore, to begin work by carrying out a programme of preliminary survey and assessment aimed at defining the nature and extent of the site before any disturbance takes place.

The pre-disturbance survey will give the archaeologist and the team to discuss about further excavation and method of works will be carried out. A thorough pre-disturbance survey, if necessary, a trial excavation should take place for enable the archaeologist and the team to assess the potential sites, to record, take sample to determine the ships woods or the cargoes for dating, the depth of the wreck and the underwater environment before the works proceed further.

Excavation is a surgical aspect of archaeology. Preparing a datum reference is much needed to know where to start the excavation. Excavation team consists of archaeologist, surveyor, divers, technician and a boat master who will participate the archaeological excavations.

The team must be properly equipped such as the scuba gear; airlift, water dredge and compressor will help the works runs smoothly. Safety precautions are the most important in underwater archaeological excavations. Recording systems such as appropriate grid will be applied for measured the sites and to record each artifacts been found.

Grid can be made from aluminum frame or place steel rod and attached with strings with measurement of 2 by 2 feet. However, the excavation also can be applied by using the hull with transversal bulkheads as refers for compartments or cargo holds. The compartments will be tag by floaters for reference (numbering) during the excavations.

Photography and video recording involve mapping the sites for its natural topography; the ships remains hull and give the excavation team a picture to plan their works. Video recording also can be safety surveillance, so that the technician on the boat can keep an eye of the divers safety.

The artifacts will brought up, gives their own temporary classifications and soak it in water for conservations. The artifacts brought up to the boat or a ship it will classified into sizes, numbers, weight and scientific procedures such as to know the chemical composition on the artifacts need to be known for further research.

The classified and registered artifacts will be process for dating analysis. Dating analysis is to determine the age of the shipwreck or the artifacts that have been found. Termoluminesen and Carbon 14 can determine the dating of the wood.

Ceramic artifacts can be determined by the compositions of soil.  They also can be determined through comparative studies and arts histories.  Further research called interoperation is to make a detail research on the artifacts.

Conservation is a process to prevent of loss, damage and destruction on artifacts. Conservators will clean, document and analyzing and stabilize the artifacts. The artifacts will go through some various treatments such as desalination, reinforcement and chemical cleaning.

Shipwreck that have been taken up and need to be reform, a delicate process of reconstruction and installation will be done. The laboratory conservations, where all the artifacts will be monitored closely and will be stored for further periods of time providing the correct storage environment and in-depth studies of the artifacts.    

The last but not least, process in underwater archaeology is the documentations. It is important to document every archaeological finding so that the information is not lost and can be used for further studies and research by others. The document can be produce through publishing a reports, journals, books and article for discussing and giving some perceptions about the excavations.

Seminars are also can be given for sharing the knowledge through conference, lecture and experiments. Even educate the people about awareness in preserving our cultural heritage for the next generations to come. The documentations also can be given through present materials such as video, VCD, Cd-Rom and make a documentary about the project.  

Exhibition about the findings of the artifacts can also bring closer the people about the archaeological itself. It can be display at the museums for educations and gives the public awareness of our cultural heritage.

by nautallica  8-)
Last edited by nautallica on Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nautallica

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby darkwolf » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 pm

i wan to be treasure hunter instead :x hehehe
just kidding :P
darkwolf

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby nautallica » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:14 pm

i wan to be treasure hunter instead :x hehehe
just kidding :P

yo hohoho and a bottle of rum hahaha ;D
nautallica

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby wing0112 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:39 pm

so.. can we join in as well as volunteer diver ar?
wing0112

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby nautallica » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:05 pm

so.. can we join in as well as volunteer diver ar?

as long we're malaysian it's ok with with me.... ;), i can teach you guys a thing or two about underwater archaeology works  ;)
nautallica

Topic author

Return to Wreck Diving