MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - when u r badly coughing...

when u r badly coughing...

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

when u r badly coughing...

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Sat May 12, 2007 2:16 pm

can one still dive? will it affect anything?

eg.. if u have flu/sinus... u have difficulty in equalizing...

but frankly speaking... when u really have flu... do u dive? or just whack it? :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: when u r badly coughing...

Post Number:#2  Postby maltymouse » Sat May 12, 2007 2:54 pm

with flu NO and big NO NO u cannot dive.  Coughing no problem u still can dive.  For coughing why dun u try this homemade remedy.

Honey mix with a dash of lemon and a quarter cup of warm water mix it well and drink it in the morning.
Last edited by maltymouse on Sat May 12, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maltymouse

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby george » Sat May 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Having a flu and still go underwater is NOT WISE at all. There's always another dive and one should never push his/her limits. I haven't come across anybody who's sick (be it a cough or flu) and still go down underwater. I'm sure there are so many things we could do to treat the problem but if it's still persist then we should take a rest and abort the dive. ;)

p/s SKK, have you ever come across any "unwise" person who doesn't care about the consequences while diving?
george

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby superkingkong » Sun May 13, 2007 12:34 am

thanks for the info, maltymouse :) really appreciate it...
i love to ask questions.. and get more info...

but lately, i get a lot of sarcastic statement  :-/

hey george,

i have not come accross one personally .. but i have read some posts on the forum that... they will whack it.. if still cannot tahan then only abort...

i have not dive with any MUW divers, so, i "don't" know them .. and would like to get some feedback whether is it possible for a mild flu.. :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby zzz » Sun May 13, 2007 12:55 am

Dear SKK,

I have to disagree with malty mouse bout the coughing part. Coughing is just a symptom for several illness. Upper respiratory tract infections and  asthma are two ilnessnes that presents with coughing in which you may develop cough. It's an ill advice to say one can dive with a cough. If you just have a habitual cough then that's another story but that is not a BAD COUGH..it just one which you go ehemmm.

As with asthma, you may say..."I don't have wheezing, so can't be asthma"... Majority of adults presenting with mild asthma have chronic cough without any wheezing so beware....

Bottom line is if you're not sure what is the cause of your cough and whether you're fit to dive... See a doctor.
Last edited by zzz on Sun May 13, 2007 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby zzz » Sun May 13, 2007 1:24 am

Honey mix with a dash of lemon and a quarter cup of warm water mix it well and drink it in the morning.

Isn't this a remedy for a hangover??? ;D ;D ;D
I guess one recipe for every illness ;D ;D ;D
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby superkingkong » Sun May 13, 2007 2:15 am

Isn't this a remedy for a hangover??? ;D ;D ;D
I guess one recipe for every illness ;D ;D ;D

u mean one recipe for all/few illness? :P

thanks for the nice piece of info, zzz ..

i myself was an asthma patient last last time.. that was why i involved in swimming.. and not those play play water one.. but really swim and pumped up your lung. and since then, it was sort of recoved.

what i felt during asthma was that, when i was lying on the bed... it's hard to breath.. everytime, during the attack, i would suck/deep breath (with force) and exhale slowly. but when in sitting or standing possition, or even horizontal but facing down postition, i don't have to suck the air too hard...  i don't know.. since diving, u r in a vertical position or even horizontal but facing down... which your lung is more relaxed for breathing.. hence one can still dive? :P

hmm.. that makes me want to ask next question :P

for asthma patient, do u know why lying down is hard to breath? but vertical or even horizontal but facing down position is much more easier to breath? any relation to the placement of the lung? :)

thx :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness