MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - what u r narced at certain level...

what u r narced at certain level...

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

what u r narced at certain level...

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Sat May 12, 2007 2:09 pm

kekeke.. yet another stupid question of mine  ;)

when u get narcosis at, say 20m ... does that mean..  ur limit is until 20m.. for your whole life? .. will it get better next time?  .. say.. after 6 months, u go again.. but this time u can go until 30m ... got such thing?  ;D

or worst.. will it get worst?  :o like this time is 20m .. next dive is 15m :( ... got such thing? :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: what u r narced at certain level...

Post Number:#2  Postby SeaDemon » Sat May 12, 2007 9:33 pm

This sounds like a medic question. I'm moving it to that thread.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby GOD » Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 pm

Narcosis .... generaly happen below 30m & can be shallower.

Depends on depth ... visibility...etc.

You might get nark at 20m today & 18m tomorrow & 35m other time..... is not fix.

Can be better & can be worst ...even the degree of it.

Do some reading on your Open Water book of do search on the internet for some information in it.... then you can share about it.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby jgshuwei » Sat May 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Narcosis .... generaly happen below 30m & can be shallower.

Depends on depth ... visibility...etc.

You might get nark at 20m today & 18m tomorrow & 35m other time..... is not fix.

Can be better & can be worst ...even the degree of it.

Do some reading on your Open Water book of do search on the internet for some information in it.... then you can share about it.

;D

SKK, we are waiting for your answer.
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby superkingkong » Sat May 12, 2007 11:44 pm

hmm.. seems like i'm *dislike* to ask question here... hence i'll stop asking :) u all can rest assure.

not sure when i'll be "prohibited" from posting in this forum  ::)

i thought we can discuss questions in the forum... but probably i ask too much... irritating u all  :( ;D

OT: few years ago, i met my relatives in Singapore, the last time i met them when i was about 10 years old... they told me that, when i was a little kid... i was very curious... i like to ask a lot questions.. why this? why that? .. kekeke i also didn't notice it at all  ;D but hmm.. probably until now also i like to ask questions ;)

but anyway.. thanks snafu for the answer. now i know that "it's not fix"
Last edited by superkingkong on Sat May 12, 2007 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby Jim » Sun May 13, 2007 12:16 am

SKK... If u dont know about things, u ask questions. Dont worry whether its stupid question or not coz someone else may hv the same query as you. We shall learn soemthing from all the replies...

.... To answer yr question, u can feel narc at any depth. But it varies amongst divers due to our different physiology. But with more dives u may manage narc. BUT dont push it. Be on safe side by moving to shallower depth.
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby jgshuwei » Sun May 13, 2007 12:35 am

hmm.. seems like i'm *dislike* to ask question here... hence i'll stop asking :) u all can rest assure.

not sure when i'll be "prohibited" from posting in this forum  ::)

i thought we can discuss questions in the forum... but probably i ask too much... irritating u all  :( ;D

OT: few years ago, i met my relatives in Singapore, the last time i met them when i was about 10 years old... they told me that, when i was a little kid... i was very curious... i like to ask a lot questions.. why this? why that? .. kekeke i also didn't notice it at all  ;D but hmm.. probably until now also i like to ask questions ;)

but anyway.. thanks snafu for the answer. now i know that "it's not fix"

Come on bro, just joking! Don't be angry with me please! When u come back, I belanja TT.
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby superkingkong » Sun May 13, 2007 10:04 am

kekeekee .. sorry :)
.. living alone for 6 months.. u will suspect some change in one mentality :P .. and of coz, it will not be good... in other words... may go "sot sot" :P oh.. btw.. not sure whether related or not.. but i start talking to myself  :o  ::) but hopefully i don't end up something like the movie "psycho"  ;D

back to topic..
thanks jim..

yeah.. i know that it varies from person to person... but my point is, whether it varies from time to time on a person... eg, today i can tahan until 30m.. tmr maybe 25m then kena narc already... maybe next month... i can go down until 35m also haven't kena narc.... so, will this be the case?

or.. will it be fixed? .. like... if the first time, i can tahan to 30m... that means.. forever i won't kena narce if i dive until 30m :)

if u get my meaning :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby SeaDemon » Sun May 13, 2007 11:42 am

As Snafu has pointed out, it doesn't matter what your level of experience is. If you get hit by narcosis, you will get hit. Personally, I do deep dives, but I have gotten narced at just 16m once.

That is why it is very important for a diver to go through some form of training for narcosis management/recognition, and for AOWD this is done during your deep dive adventure specialty.

Now you know why I always talk about not diving beyond your training.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby superkingkong » Sun May 13, 2007 12:17 pm

thanks SD.

well, if one plan to go down to 50m, but kena narce at 20m, should he abort the dive completely? or can he try again at that moment or abort and try in the afternoon or tomorrow? just like problem with equalizing... u go up and try to go down again :)

thx and sorry for the newbie question
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby adik » Sun May 13, 2007 12:57 pm

thanks SD.

well, if one plan to go down to 50m, but kena narce at 20m, should he abort the dive completely? or can he try again at that moment or abort and try in the afternoon or tomorrow? just like problem with equalizing... u go up and try to go down again :)

Guys ... who will determined whether 1 individual tu kena narce ke tidak???

the buddy or  the victim him/herself???
adik

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby superkingkong » Sun May 13, 2007 1:10 pm

my view is that

hmm.. themselves and/or their buddy

similar to when u r drunk... it's either u know that "something" with you... or your buddy will be able to tell you when u r not "right" :)

i've read somewhere that u need to do some check with your buddy once in a while.. at some depth .. like u show your buddy with you fingers the "number 2" ... then your buddy will show u back either 1 (subtract) or 3 (add), depending on whatever u guys have agreed.. this shows that u still can calculate... that means u r still "ok" :)

to those deep divers... do u do that? how do u check with your buddy?

thx
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby SeaDemon » Sun May 13, 2007 4:34 pm

thanks SD.

If going down to 50m??

Go to shallower depth so your body will clear itself from the narcosis. Then abort dive once you know what you are doing. Otherwise, stay at 5m and watch Nemo playing hide and seek with you.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby SeaDemon » Sun May 13, 2007 4:35 pm

thanks SD.

The individual diver MUST recognise the symptoms of narcosis. The buddy should check too. But there have been times when the buddy signals "OK?", the narced diver parrots the sign and the buddy thinks he/she's ok.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 14, 2007 12:05 am

thanks SD.

If going down to 50m??

Go to shallower depth so your body will clear itself from the narcosis. Then abort dive once you know what you are doing. Otherwise, stay at 5m and watch Nemo playing hide and seek with you.

kekekeee...  ;D
according to some article...  depth not greater than 18m.. narcosis is greatly minimized  :-?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 14, 2007 12:09 am

thanks SD.

The individual diver MUST recognise the symptoms of narcosis. The buddy should check too. But there have been times when the buddy signals "OK?", the narced diver parrots the sign and the buddy thinks he/she's ok.

hmm.. probably that's why article out there mentioned that they shouldn't show OK sign.. because too easy... but some calculations.. like i mentioned above...  :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby deepblu » Mon May 14, 2007 1:46 pm

How will one know if his/her buddy is experiencing narcosis? Should they look at their eyes?

Do divers experiencing nacosis have that "glazed look", similar to ppl high on "substances"?
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby BubbleBunny » Mon May 14, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey guys. I find this topic very interesting indeed.....thanks to our SKK with his superb questions.

Did a search on Nitrogen Narcosis on wikipedia.org and this is what the effects on narcosis are:

"Along with the bends, which in contrast are a risk during the ascent of a dive, narcosis is one of the most dangerous conditions to affect the SCUBA diver. The most dangerous aspects of narcosis are the loss of decision-making ability, loss of focus and impaired judgment and coordination. When more serious the diver may start to feel invulnerable, disregarding normal safe diving practices. Divers have been known to throw away their masks and accelerate their descent to excessive depths. Infamous anecdotes (apparently based on true stories) abound, including that of the diver who pulled out his regulator and offered it to the fish to share his air, or the man who stopped for a cigarette break at twenty metres. Affected divers are often not even aware they are impaired. Other effects include vertigo, tingling and numbness of the lips, mouth and fingers, and extreme exhaustion. Affected divers may panic, sometimes remaining on the bottom, too exhausted to ascend. The syndrome may also cause exhilaration, giddiness, extreme anxiety, depression, or paranoia.
Though some divers seem to be able to cope with the symptoms and even claim to be less susceptible than others, tests have shown that all divers are affected by nitrogen narcosis. Even though it is possible that some divers can cope better than others because of acclimation, training, or special breathing techniques, the effects remain."

A personal story of my first major experience with Nitrogen narcosis is like this. I was on a routine dive at a divesite in Redang (Whale Mount) when I had my first experience. I have been diving since around 2001 and have always had a mental description of what narcosis would be like, but never really experienced it. My mental description was similar to the one stated on wikipedia - espesially the one where one is impaired in decision making and coordination. So I'd always look out for those signs when diving to depths greater than 18m. It wasn't until last year on one dive did I realise that i experienced it without knowing it. What happpend was that when I was decending with my buddy following a descent line to about 18m, I VERY SUDDENLY had a feeling of panic when we reached 16m. This was very unusual for me since at that time, I was diving everyday and mostly to depths of more than 20m. So all I could think of at that moment in time was "I HAVE TO GET BACK TO THE SURFACE". This feeling was totally irrational for me as I'm extremely comfortable in the water. At one point, I was ready to just abort the dive and ascend as quickly as safely possible. But my instint then was to just hang on the the descent line, breathe deeply and relax. So I did. Lots of thoughts of heading back to the surface kept on racing through my mind - to the point of perceptual narrowing. But i resisted as I knew that this was a completely irrational emotion. So i held on at 16, and it took me about a minute to regain composure and after that I was completely OK and proceeded to descend with buddy to 30m, where most of the life is, and everything else went very smoothly as though nothing happened. It's worth noting that me and my buddy were descending very quickly, which was why the narcosis hit me like a train when it did.

That experience taught me how to recognise narcosis, because it was very "in your face" and full-on. Will never forget that experience cos it scared the bejesus out of me.  It's certainly one thing to read about the effects of narcosis, but it sure is a different thing to experience it first hand.

Narcosis can happen at ANY depth depending on the person and factors. But it is important to recognise it and remember your training in order to avoid accidents. For me, it happened at 16m, so that's proof that you don't have to dive deep for it to hit you.

Hope this is helpful to others.
BubbleBunny

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby SeaDemon » Mon May 14, 2007 8:22 pm

How will one know if his/her buddy is experiencing narcosis? Should they look at their eyes?

Do divers experiencing nacosis have that "glazed look", similar to ppl high on "substances"?

Don't just signal to ask your buddy if he/she is okay. Ask him/her to tell you the reading on his/her gauge.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 15, 2007 9:14 am

Hey guys. I find this topic very interesting indeed.....thanks to our SKK with his superb questions.

superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 15, 2007 9:31 am

diver who pulled out his regulator and offered it to the fish to share his air

;D ;D ;D
Last edited by superkingkong on Tue May 15, 2007 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 15, 2007 9:49 am

hi bubblebunny... thanks for sharing the story... it's kinda dangerous with all these funny feelings... one might not sure whether they will have to follow it or not  :-?  :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness