MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - jelly fish stings... what to do?

jelly fish stings... what to do?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Re: jelly fish stings... what to do?

Post Number:#31  Postby superkingkong » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:09 am

prevention is better than cure..... haha... dun dive without ya long suit, glove and hood... especially at jelly fish infested areas....

Off topic a bit...

i've swam in the sea b4 with only a swimming trunk during the inter-island swimathon... and i know how is the feeling being stung by jellyfish, and those seabugs ... until i really cried but at the same time still swimming coz no where to stop.

until now... whenever i'm out in the sea.. diving.. i'll wear a fullsuit :) ... i admire most guys wearing shorties .. or even shorts & rashguards... but i'm still afraid of it.. i guess phobia to it  ;)

some ppl thinks that .. ala.. so show off! .. wearing a wetsuit when the weather is so hot... yeah, i know it's hot... but i'm just scared to be exposed  :-/
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#32  Postby superkingkong » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:17 am

Hmm...urinating will not relieve jellyfish sting. And with some species, urine will actually trigger the remaining nematocysts (sting cells) and make it even worse.

So using urine on jellyfish sting is as good as using urine on your amputated limb to heal the wound when our Dr Bones (artist formerly known as ZZZ) uses her cutting tools on you.

SD... kutuk me huh.... >:(

As SD said urine is not a good idea... if you don't have vineger use the seawater... remove any remaining stings/nematocytes. You need to seek medical treatment immediately if you have history of allergic reactions

fulamak zzz... oh i mean Bones.. since when? :P

i didn't know u r zzz until i read SD's post  ;D
long time never see u.. hehe.. miss u lah.
still stuck at.. ermm. somewhere in pahang?  ;)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#33  Postby tulip » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:34 am

saw on mythbusters, vodka oso serves the purpose.. at least i think it's vodka..
tulip

Topic author

Post Number:#34  Postby zzz » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:53 pm

Ah SKK...miss u too... :) Some ppl angry bout me putting post looking for u.. ;D ;D ;D

Vodka, tulip? Not a recognized treatment... btw, since when do u stock vodka for a trip dear... ;D ;D ;D Vinegar cheaper!!!
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#35  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:58 pm

saw on mythbusters, vodka oso serves the purpose.. at least i think it's vodka..

Vodka is treatment for depression. Drown your sorrows in alcohol.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#36  Postby jgshuwei » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Just read an article in one Hong Kong magazine about deadly jellyfish, keep away from all these jelly fish.

1) Irukandji (Carukia barnesi)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_jellyfish

2) Portuguese Man O' War (Physalia physalis)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalia_physalis

3) Sea wasp/sea stinger/box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri)
http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com/the ... lyfish.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironex_fleckeri
Last edited by jgshuwei on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#37  Postby jgshuwei » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Please check this out...(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physalia_physalis)

The use of [highlight]vinegar[/highlight] to treat stings is controversial. It appears that vinegar can make the sting more painful in some cases, while other victims report relief after applying vinegar. One should never apply vinegar while the tentacle is still attached to the body, as this will cause the stinging cells to inject more venom.

[highlight]Urine[/highlight] is also another widely-used way of treating stings, because urine contains ammonia, even in small quantities, which helps counter the venom. It is a quick treatment that can be used when no other option is available.
Last edited by jgshuwei on Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#38  Postby tulip » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:20 pm

ermm.. i saw it on mythbusters lah
they compared vodka treatment with warm water treatment.. i wish i remember which episode  :-/ :-/
tulip

Topic author

Post Number:#39  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:02 am

Hmm...urinating will not relieve jellyfish sting. And with some species, urine will actually trigger the remaining nematocysts (sting cells) and make it even worse.

So using urine on jellyfish sting is as good as using urine on your amputated limb to heal the wound when our Dr Bones (artist formerly known as ZZZ) uses her cutting tools on you.

John...read my posting above. Urine does more harm on jellyfish stings. I know this because I have tried and it didn't work. So I went back and checked the Net. So apart from getting more nematocysts firing and hurting you (it took me 6 weeks before the wound healed), you will also get funny stares.

Household vinegar and/or citrus fruits such as lime as pointed out by Macha would help in preventing more nematocysts from firing further, with the exception of the Portuguese Man O War. Never use urine, alcohol, meat tenderizer, baking soda and all that c-rap.

One child in the US died when, after being stung by a Box Jellyfish, the rescuers put meat tenderizer on the afected arm. The child soon comatose and died. Urine also exacerbates the Box Jellyfish scenario.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#40  Postby jgshuwei » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:12 am

SD, I know urine is  not good. Since I saw it on wikipedia (only applies to Portuguese Man Of War), so I copy it out for ppl to have a look.

If you are talking about box jellyfish, the following is a quotation from wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chironex_fleckeri)...

Dousing a sting with vinegar immediately inhibits any nematocysts which have not been activated, while rubbing a sting exacerbates the problem. Water,[highlight] urine [/highlight]and "Coke" have been shown to be ineffective
jgshuwei

Topic author

Post Number:#41  Postby DiveMonster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:27 am

this is actually quite embaressing but urine works...i noe firsthand coz i had to bathe in it,ugghh(after being stung by a box jellyfish) all i hav to say is if theres vinegar USE IT!!
those who try to look wise among fools,looks foolish among the wise - translation:dont be a wiseguy,wiseguy....
DiveMonster
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#42  Postby Ery » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 am

DiveMonster wrote:this is actually quite embaressing but urine works...i noe firsthand coz i had to bathe in it,ugghh(after being stung by a box jellyfish) all i hav to say is if theres vinegar USE IT!!

thanks for the tips bro.. ;)
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#43  Postby orcastyl » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:10 am

jgshuwei: In my opinion, its not the ammonia from the urine that neutralises the toxin.

Basically toxins are proteins, and hence proteins denaturates under heat, hence when we 'wee' on the 'stung' area the warm urine acts as heat. Now suppose if your urine is cold, it would then have null effect. Conclusion, still works whilst awaiting further treatment.
:icon_tongue:
orcastyl
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby babyFin » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:39 pm

orcastyl wrote:jgshuwei: In my opinion, its not the ammonia from the urine that neutralises the toxin.

Basically toxins are proteins, and hence proteins denaturates under heat, hence when we 'wee' on the 'stung' area the warm urine acts as heat. Now suppose if your urine is cold, it would then have null effect. Conclusion, still works whilst awaiting further treatment.

meaning we can still use a warm / hot water? instead of urine..
:angel8: :angel8: :angel8:
[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#45  Postby derek » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:51 pm

babyFin wrote:
orcastyl wrote:jgshuwei: In my opinion, its not the ammonia from the urine that neutralises the toxin.

i work by the beach and have been stung a few times by jelly fish!!! should never use warm or cold tap water..... it makes it worse... we had one case where a friend had to be rushed to hospital because he washed his jelly fish sting with tap water
derek
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#46  Postby Ery » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:01 pm

derek wrote:
babyFin wrote:

i work by the beach and have been stung a few times by jelly fish!!! should never use warm or cold tap water..... it makes it worse... we had one case where a friend had to be rushed to hospital because he washed his jelly fish sting with tap water

thanks for the info bro... :icon_thumleft:
Ery
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#47  Postby babyFin » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:03 pm

derek wrote:
babyFin wrote:

ooo..realy. lucky me u let me know.. thanx!
waa, u like hero oledi..can swim wit jellyfish la now? :D *joking only*

[font=Lucida Calligraphy]First mistake to be learned, Second mistake is because of stupidity..
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#48  Postby derek » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:06 pm

babyFin wrote:
derek wrote:
babyFin wrote:

Not hero la... just doing job only...  ;) :D :D :D

ooo..realy. lucky me u let me know.. thanx!
waa, u like hero oledi..can swim wit jellyfish la now? :D *joking only*

derek
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#49  Postby babyFin » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:24 am

did i miss anything from ur post?
[/font]
babyFin
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#50  Postby taufik » Sun May 10, 2009 2:20 am

first aid for jellyfish is vinegar(if u happen to have it)..or u can try use tobbaco ..dampen it with some water n gently rub it...or alternatively ,if u dive ad muddy seabed(well...commercial diver gotta dive at such place ),rub with d muds...it helps....
taufik
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#51  Postby pilotHans » Fri May 22, 2009 5:23 pm

my personal experience, got stung by jelly fish at bt feringgi some years back  :angry4:

what i did, i just pour vinegar on my lets and my partner.....after a while the pain went a way........

i took 1week + to heal + rid of all the scars or itchiness.........

up till now, a bit phobia whenever in the sea and thinking of this jelly fish  :crybaby2:
what we do in life echoes in eternity
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#52  Postby Scudman » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 am

pilotHans wrote:my personal experience, got stung by jelly fish at bt feringgi some years back  :angry4:

what i did, i just pour vinegar on my lets and my partner.....after a while the pain went a way........

i took 1week + to heal + rid of all the scars or itchiness.........

up till now, a bit phobia whenever in the sea and thinking of this jelly fish  :crybaby2:

I too, was stung by a jellyfish before, the pain was........... No words can describe.

My buddy saw, did emergency ascent, towed me to land, gave me a smile and starting peeing on my neck!!! I couldn't care less, and because we both heard of this method before, I allowed it to go on......

I am still alive and kicking, so I guess pee works too! But pls find alternative and CLEANER methods. Like Vinegar :)
Scudman
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#53  Postby aikiben » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:13 pm

WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU GET JELLY FISH or Box Jelly Fish STING:-

1. Do not pour fresh water on the wound ! This will release the toxin from the nematocytes (jelly fish stingers)
2. Use aluminium sulphate ( stingose ) on wound if ( this deactivate the toxin provide pain relieve !)
3. Do not wash off- let medicine soak in for 1hr..
4. Use a hot tower press if still painful
5. Seek medical advice- usually a painkiller is given

Urine does not work.. its the warmth that helps to relieve pain. the toxin is still  there

WHY VINEGAR CAN BE HARMFUL !!!!

Vinegar should not be used as a rinse on injuries from the Portuguese man-of-war (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Man_o'_War) because it can cause additional toxib to be released from nematocysts that have not yet stung (“unfired' nematocysts”). In contrast, vinegar should only be used for stopping additional “firings” of nematocysts from the more dangerous box jellyfish.

SO... use aluminium sulphate instead..

I buy from Australia usually, but I will try to buy bulk, if you are interested PM me

It cost about AUD 10 ( RM 30)  per tube
It looks like this :-
http://yfrog.com/18stingosegelj

PM me if you are interested..
Blowin Bubble The Right Way
aikiben
Diver
Diver

Previous

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness