MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Homebrew remedies to stings, bites and scratches?

Homebrew remedies to stings, bites and scratches?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Homebrew remedies to stings, bites and scratches?

Post Number:#1  Postby adamm84 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:15 pm

I tought I should start one, because if you dive for any length of time you 'll most likely had your encounters with some Terrible Creatures of the Deep. State what kind of nasty bugger bit you and how you treated your wounds!  :)
adamm84

Topic author

Re: Homebrew remedies to stings, bites and scratch

Post Number:#2  Postby pacai » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:44 am

i've got stung by jelly fish once.. my whole right arm looks hideous at that time.. menggurut and all... first thing first.. use ur pee to wipe that kinda area. and then lime can help reduce the pain.

actually it depends on wat kinda creature stings u. sebab bisa binatang2 tni tak semua berkomposisi yg sama. ada dari protein dan lain lain.. jadi tak semua sengat bole cure with pee and cuka. nak cakap byk pun tak tau. sebab budak baru je. anyway, to anyone else, just feel free to ask, kalau bole jawab aku tolong jawab, kalau tak bole, ramai lagi otai kat sini yang bole..

cheers,

;)
pacai
pacai

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby mephisto » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:49 pm

untuk remedies just follow the manual....tapi kalau bab nak hilang kan gatal.....try carik kat pharmacy ANTI PURITIC cream....this thing tak cure but it will hilang kan the gatal so you dont do more damage by scrathing.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:46 pm

Peeing on the jellyfish sting is a good thing. I normally get a sexy girl to pee on where ever that the jellyfish has stung on my body. Seriously, that was what I used back in 1995 masa buat exercise off Muka Head in Penang. However, last year mid-October, kena sting lagi...but used vinegar as recommended. Tapi dekat 3 bulan la gatal-gtal naik blisters and tak nak kering. So last-last cari belerang kuning kat kedai sinseh, bubuh kapur sikit..tabur. Now okay..tapi scarring ada lagi.

For other stings macam Scorpionfish etc, rendamkan part yg kena tu in water sepanas yang boleh tahan to deactivate the venom or something to that effect.

Kalau sea snake, susah sikit la. Dia gigit pun kita tak rasa. Tau-tau kiok aje.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby adamm84 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:25 am

I normally get a sexy girl to pee on where ever that the jellyfish has stung on my body

Okay....... Strange fetishes aside, it would seem as if peeing on the area where you get stung seem to work for you people. I wonder if there's any scientific explaination for it? Mebbe I'll fire up Wiki and see what I can find...  8-) For jellyfish stings I'd normally use vinegar, it's the first remedy that I've learnt and hey, it works (for me at least). The vinegar deactivates the nematocysts (stinging cells) on the stings, providing relief. But if symptoms persists or an allergic reaction occurs, you should seek medical attention ASAP. I remember a few girls who had to be hospitalized after encounters with those nasty jellyfish.

Hey, don't worry about scars. They make you look manly, no?  ;)
adamm84

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:17 am

Hey, don't worry about scars. They make you look manly, no?  ;)

On my dick? Yeah, quite cool actually. Another homegrown remedy I learnt from the orang asli is: if you get stung by a bee, pick your nose and stick the booger onto the place it stung. I've tried it on someone using my booger. It worked.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby adamm84 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:45 am

On my dick? Yeah, quite cool actually.

:o ......Ouch
adamm84

Topic author

Sign & symptom blueringed octopus & sea snake

Post Number:#8  Postby bigjoe74 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:42 pm

well let share this info...

VENOMOUS BITES

There are principally two animals that are known to bite causing injection of venom into the wound. They are blue - ringed octopus and the sea snake.

Blue-ringed octopus
grows to a maximum of 20cm from tip to tip of its tentacles. When undisturbed, this animal has a yellowish-brown colour with dull ringed markings on the tentacles and stripes on the body. When disturbed , these dull markings become iridescent blue. The initial bite is almost painless.
After about 15 minutes the bite becomes swollen,resembling a mosquito bite. A few minutes after the bite a rapid , painless paralysis results.

The symptoms as follows:-

-Numbness around the mouth and the neck , which cause difficulties in swallowing.
-Nausea and vomiting.
-Breathing difficulties arise fairly quickly.
-The eye muscles gradually become paralysed.
-General weakness and difficulties with coordination leads to complete paralysis which persists for 4 to 12 hours.

Sea Snake- There are a number of different species of this marine reptile , some being more dangerous than others. The toxins interfere with nerve and muscle function. The initial puncture is noticed but not painful. Symptom may take 10 minutes to several hours to manifest themselves. Restlessness , nausea, and vomiting may occur , followed by general stiffening and aching. Weakness develops into paralysis and spreads.This may be preceded by muscular twitching and spasms. Respiratory and cardiac distress and failure may also occur.

lets share this info....

:)
Last edited by bigjoe74 on Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigjoe74

Topic author

Re: Sign & symptom blueringed octopus & sea snake

Post Number:#9  Postby anas » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 pm

VENOMOUS BITES

There are principally two animals that are known to bite causing injection of venom into the wound. They are blue - ringed octopus and the sea snake.

Blue-ringed octopus
grows to a maximum of 20cm from tip to tip of its tentacles. When undisturbed, this animal has a yellowish-brown colour with dull ringed markings on the tentacles and stripes on the body. When disturbed , these dull markings become iridescent blue. The initial bite is almost painless.
After about 15 minutes the bite becomes swollen,resembling a mosquito bite. A few minutes after the bite a rapid , painless paralysis results.

Walao weyy.. I learn something today about this blue ringed octopusm, in short, BRO. and no known antidote some more.. aiyyah.. anybody sudah tengok them underwater?
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby flying_tapir » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:35 am

mcm tu turun laut mcm dulu2 la..pakai tht whole tembaga thingy..sure..shark pon patah gigi..keh keh keh...
flying_tapir

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby HoleMaster » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:49 pm

mcm tu turun laut mcm dulu2 la..pakai tht whole tembaga thingy..sure..shark pon patah gigi..keh keh keh...

kalau pakai tuh, ko dive setempat je lah...mane boleh ronda2
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby flying_tapir » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:19 pm

kalau pakai tuh, ko dive setempat je lah...mane boleh ronda2

tepaksa la bro..senaman setempat..dah kalau benda tuh scarry sangat..dah mcm naik benanah pon ade..huahuahuahua..takutnye.. :o
flying_tapir

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness