MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Smoking and diving !

Smoking and diving !

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Re: Smoking and diving !

Post Number:#31  Postby szsz » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:25 pm

[quote]Hehehe..I never smoked. quote]

wah...unbelievable...are u serious?
cos u look like one who does..
forgive me ...something wrong with my eyes when i look at your photos
szsz

Post Number:#32  Postby GOD » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:19 pm

Hehehe..I never smoked. quote]

:D  :D  :D  :D

SD doesn't smoke.

;D
GOD

Post Number:#33  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:59 pm

Hahaha..seriously, if I am in a room where it's full of smokers, you'll either see me run to the nearest clinic, or see me get rushed to an emergency room. I can't stand smoke. It irritates my sinus. If it's just 3-4 persons in an open space, it's okay. Which is why clubbing is not my idea of fun.  ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Post Number:#34  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 am

hey SD, we are all 2nd hand smoker  ;D

off topic:
u state swimmer? great to hear that. which state? :)
Last edited by superkingkong on Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Post Number:#35  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 3:10 am

Hahaha..seriously, if I am in a room where it's full of smokers, you'll either see me run to the nearest clinic, or see me get rushed to an emergency room. I can't stand smoke. It irritates my sinus. If it's just 3-4 persons in an open space, it's okay. Which is why clubbing is not my idea of fun.  ;D ;D ;D

if it's raining and everyone shelter under the bus stop, and if someone smokes among the crowd there, normally i'll prefer to not join them, thus standing under the rain, have the smell :P
superkingkong

Post Number:#36  Postby SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 3:56 am

off topic:

Perak 82-83
SeaDemon

Post Number:#37  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 5:02 am

OT:
cool... :) i was ... 90-92 ..kekekee..

hmmm.. perak, there was one year, forgotten where was it, either in sarawak or penang, our group was sitting next to perak group. it happened that there were cheering perak perak perak.... but after they shouted perak, we shouted berak kekeke.. the rhythm goes perak! berak! perak! berak! ... kekee... we were so bad bad  >:( ... peace! :)
Last edited by superkingkong on Tue May 01, 2007 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Post Number:#38  Postby zzz » Tue May 01, 2007 9:03 am

off topic:

Perak 82-83

SD.... Off topic a bit... ehh how to turnlah when doin freestyle and reaching end of pool... I always have to reach and touch de end and turn 'manually' but envy de stylos that can turn like the Olympic swimmers.... any tips uh???
zzz

Post Number:#39  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 11:15 am

this one u have to use your upper body strength do a flip turn. upon reaching the end, about 1m or less, use your waist and upperbody and macam.. look and move down and your whole lower body and leg will follow... thus, a flip turn is occuring. while doing that turn, make sure u exhale, otherwise, air akan masuk hidung ... kekee, after turning, use your leg and tekan against the wall and u're off to go.... kekeke.. not sure whether u understand what i'm trying to say or not :P ... kekeke... one day can show u during pool session :)
Last edited by superkingkong on Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Post Number:#40  Postby zzz » Tue May 01, 2007 11:18 am

this one u have to use your upper body strength do a flip turn. upon reaching the end, about 1m or less, use your waist and upperbody and macam.. look and move down and your whole lower body and leg will follow... thus, a flip turn is occuring. while doing that turn, make sure u exhale, otherwise, air akan masuk hidung ... kekee, after turning, use your leg and tekan against the wall and u're off to go.... kekeke.. not sure whether u understand what i'm trying to say or not :P ... kekeke... one day can show u during pool session :)

Yesss pleaseeee... ppl I know all kenot do wan... claim to be ggood in swimming konon...

June yup... I'll call u.... :) :) :)
zzz

Post Number:#41  Postby SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:20 am

OT:

hmmm.. perak, there was one year, forgotten where was it, either in sarawak or penang, our group was sitting next to perak group. it happened that there were cheering perak perak perak.... but after they shouted perak, we shouted berak kekeke.. the rhythm goes perak! berak! perak! berak! ... kekee... we were so bad bad  >:( ... peace! :)

Wah...MSSM or Age Group?
SeaDemon

Post Number:#42  Postby SeaDemon » Tue May 01, 2007 11:22 am

SD.... Off topic a bit... ehh how to turnlah when doin freestyle and reaching end of pool... I always have to reach and touch de end and turn 'manually' but envy de stylos that can turn like the Olympic swimmers.... any tips uh???

Hahaa..thanks SKK for replying before I could
SeaDemon

Post Number:#43  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 11:32 am

Yesss pleaseeee... ppl I know all kenot do wan... claim to be ggood in swimming konon...

June yup... I'll call u.... :) :) :)

sure zzz.. lemme know ... kekekee
superkingkong

Post Number:#44  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 11:36 am

OT:

Wah...MSSM or Age Group?

both MSSM in sarawak and age group in penang... kekeke...
but not a medal winner  ;D on national level.. not that terror :P

then once i went to terengganu for mssm... that's when i notice there are a pool for guys and a pool for gals  ::)
Last edited by superkingkong on Tue May 01, 2007 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
superkingkong

Post Number:#45  Postby superkingkong » Tue May 01, 2007 11:39 am

Hahaa..thanks SKK for replying before I could

sorry bro... ter-ambil your business :P
superkingkong

Post Number:#46  Postby mocha » Tue May 01, 2007 1:18 pm

that's why i like to travel wif SD.... haha.....smoke free...... hehehe....
mocha

Post Number:#47  Postby george » Tue May 01, 2007 2:33 pm

Smoking is bad for health - YES but if you're a smoker and you can't smoke because of some dive regulations - that is worse...I don't want to dive with someone with withdrawal symtoms...! ;D
george

Post Number:#48  Postby superkingkong » Wed May 02, 2007 3:41 am

hmm.. i wonder if Scuba Diving disallowes smoking, will those smokers still be involved in diving activities? ... ;D
superkingkong

Post Number:#49  Postby HoleMaster » Thu May 03, 2007 11:05 pm

Im a smoker myself and i see lots of DM's and Instructors who are smokers as well. As we all know smoking is bad for health and its a bit difficult to cut the habit, altho its just mind over matter. To answer ur queries SKK and not to scare others, smoking raises carbon monoxide levels in the blood 3 to 12 times which impairs O2 transport and CO2 elimination which will increase blood pressure and heart rate. Of which is not good when doing any physical actitivies such as diving. Im not a doctor but trying to recall what ive learnt in my DM course. Just my RM0.01 opinion ;)
HoleMaster

Post Number:#50  Postby SeaDemon » Thu May 03, 2007 11:51 pm

Im a smoker myself and i see lots of DM's and Instructors who are smokers as well. As we all know smoking is bad for health and its a bit difficult to cut the habit, altho its just mind over matter. To answer ur queries SKK and not to scare others, smoking raises carbon monoxide levels in the blood 3 to 12 times which impairs O2 transport and CO2 elimination which will increase blood pressure and heart rate. Of which is not good when doing any physical actitivies such as diving. Im not a doctor but trying to recall what ive learnt in my DM course. Just my RM0.01 opinion ;)

Glad that you know  ;) ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Post Number:#51  Postby taurusdiver » Fri May 04, 2007 12:42 am

i tried to quit 4years back..... after 2 and half months, i was admitted to hospital and diagnosed with high fever (the dr said, might be suspected dengue case)... after 5 days sleeping in the wad, daily they took my blood for lab test and found out that nothing wrong... and before discharged, the dr was doing a short conversation with me, i told him that i quit smoking directly... And guess what the dr said it's not the way to quit, need to reduce one by one.... but i was too stupid to quit in fast.... so caused the admisssion....errr.. even i am still smoking now, but seriously i am looking foir a way to quit the habbit... even vali "stem: when u blow yr smelly smokes out....sometimes... hahaha
taurusdiver

Post Number:#52  Postby superkingkong » Fri May 04, 2007 6:05 am

thanks Holemaster for that awareness. it's kinda scary though   :-?
superkingkong

Post Number:#53  Postby nhadi » Sun May 06, 2007 5:00 pm

I believe there are instructors who do not smoke. As a role model instructors should not smoke when conducting their classes. They can smoke during the breaks, not in the classroom preferably. It's polite too!! I've seen dive boats with a "No Smoking" sign displayed. It would be appropriate if instructors and divemasters observe this sign and refrain from smoking in the boat when taking out divers to dive. We cannot stop people from smoking but we have to recognise there are people who don't smoke prefers not to be at the recieving end. :)
nhadi

Post Number:#54  Postby GOD » Sun May 06, 2007 5:39 pm

I believe there are instructors who do not smoke. As a role model instructors should not smoke when conducting their classes. They can smoke during the breaks, not in the classroom preferably. It's polite too!! I've seen dive boats with a "No Smoking" sign displayed. It would be appropriate if instructors and divemasters observe this sign and refrain from smoking in the boat when taking out divers to dive. We cannot stop people from smoking but we have to recognise there are people who don't smoke prefers not to be at the recieving end. :)

100% Correct !!!

;D
GOD

Post Number:#55  Postby sapertuh » Sun May 06, 2007 8:55 pm

i'm a smoker 2... but i think, smoking is same like breething underwater. :P :P  :P
sapertuh

Post Number:#56  Postby evo5555 » Sun May 06, 2007 10:13 pm

I was with my friends diving last time, and a few non smokers friend really used up their air really fast compared to us.  Thus my friends made a new "theory"..smoking is good la actually la, cuz the tars block up ur lung and less oxygen goes in, while those non smokers have good lungs, so need more oxygen thats y finish air faster... ;D
evo5555

Post Number:#57  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 07, 2007 1:14 am

i'm a smoker 2... but i think, smoking is same like breething underwater. :P :P  :P

deep breath.. exhale.. deep breath exhale  ;D
superkingkong

Post Number:#58  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 07, 2007 1:15 am

i second that :)
superkingkong

Post Number:#59  Postby wing0112 » Mon May 07, 2007 9:37 am

I was with my friends diving last time, and a few non smokers friend really used up their air really fast compared to us.  Thus my friends made a new "theory"..smoking is good la actually la, cuz the tars block up ur lung and less oxygen goes in, while those non smokers have good lungs, so need more oxygen thats y finish air faster... ;D

er... using up air fast or not... doesnt depends whether u smoke or not... i have seen a mat salleh girl.. that can share her tank wif her hubby and yet she can tahan for 45 minutes dives with around 100 bar left.... so it depends on how u breathe... anyhw smoking pre is not good to health according to book..
wing0112

Post Number:#60  Postby superkingkong » Mon May 07, 2007 1:45 pm

er... using up air fast or not... doesnt depends whether u smoke or not... i have seen a mat salleh girl.. that can share her tank wif her hubby and yet she can tahan for 45 minutes dives with around 100 bar left.... so it depends on how u breathe... anyhw smoking pre is not good to health according to book..

what is smoking pre?
superkingkong

PreviousNext

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness