MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - DIABETIC AND DIVING

DIABETIC AND DIVING

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

DIABETIC AND DIVING

Post Number:#1  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:27 pm

Diabetic and Diving.... anyone can advise me on this subject?
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Re: DIABETIC AND DIVING

Post Number:#2  Postby Bones » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Diabetes is a systemic disease that affects the whole body. If you are a diabetic you need to see a doctor regularly and have annual checkups to monitor against complications.

There are 2 types of diabetes: Type I: IDDM which usually starts at a young age (adolescent) and requires insulin injection and Type II: NIDDM (non insulin dependant diabetes melitus) which usually requires oral medications.

So the question of diabetes and diving is not a simple one. It depends on the sugar control of the person, the complications that one has and how fit the person is.

Just briefly some potiential problems in diving:
HYPOGLYCAEMIA : condition where sugar level is lowish leading to confusion, light headedness and irritability and can lead to loss of conciousness

A diabetic must be able to recognise this problem and rectify it asap..i.e must have supplies of sweets all the time.

HYPERGLYCAEMIA: sugar level is elevated and one present with dehydration, confusion (almost the same acute symptoms)

Thus both conditions are not acceptable in diving as it can be confused with narcosis. It is recommended that one monitor sugar level dilligently when diving i.e. check blood sugar just prior to a dive using a glucometer. And if having either symptom one should avoid or immediately abort a dive. Your buddy should also be briefed beforehand regarding your condition.

The BSAC have a guideline on diabetics and diving. I'll post the link later

Take home message: Take diabetes seriously and know the symptoms and complications well, talk to your doctor and don't forget: ANNUAL CHECK-UP is mandatory

I hope that sort of shed some light on the issue. Maybe divedoc can add on more
Fish out of water is like a diver with no air
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby Bones » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:42 pm

From BSAC

http://www.bsac.org/page/181/diabetes-mellitus.htm

Diabetes Mellitus

GENERAL MEDICAL
DIABETES MELLITUS AND DIVING

A diver with diabetes mellitus may have a hypoglycaemic attack while in the water, which may be fatal to himself or to his diving partner. The hypoglycaemic attack may be brought on by poor control of the diabetic condition or by an increase in physiological stress due to exercise, cold, etc.

The BSAC Medical Committee has decided that diabetics may be allowed to dive provided that they are able to pass the standard BSAC medical examination and in addition, satisfy the following criteria:

1. The diabetic has not experienced any hypoglycaemic attack within the last year.

2. The diabetic has not been hospitalised for any reason connected with diabetes in the last year.

3. The physician in charge of the diabetic at the diabetic clinic must consider the level of control to be satisfactory. This implies that the long-term control of the diabetic condition must be good. A guide to this may be obtained from the HbA or fructosamine level. The physician must also be able to state that he/she considers the potential diabetic diver to be mentally and physically fit to undertake the sport of diving.

4. There must be no microalbuminuria present. Any degree of retinopathy beyond background retinopathy is not allowed. There must be no evidence of neuropathy (sensory, motor or automatic), nor of vascular or microvascular disease beyond the background retinopathy in the eye.

The potential diabetic diver should obtain forms A and B from BSAC HQ, together with a leaflet which should be given to the BSAC Branch Diving Officer on successful completion of the medical. Form A must be filled in by the diver on an annual basis. Form B should be filled in by the physician in charge of the diabetic diver and this too, must be done annually. A copy of both forms should be made and returned to Dr C.J. Edge, The Stone Barn, Gravel Lane, Drayton, Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4HY. The physician performing the BSAC medical examination should be satisfied that the diver has a good knowledge of the risks being undertaken when diving, which are due to the diver’s diabetic condition.
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Nitrogen addict » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:43 pm

:)Thanks I have been doing that, checking my glucose level.  So far I have no problem.  Just cautious and need to prepare just in case.  Well the bottom line u must knw to take care urself.  

Thanks for the info :)
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.oceanelements.my @OceanElements
Nitrogen addict
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby santadive » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:52 pm

I did a bit of research on it not that long ago regarding a student of ours...
Here are some references...
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... ticleid=74

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... ticleid=23

And PADI's answer regarding it!

Thanks for your email. PADI leaves the decision for yes/no fit to dive entirely with a medical practitioner who needs to make an informed decision. The RSTC Medical Statement form has guidelines for the physician to review when examining this potential student. Also, in First Quarter 2007 Training Bulletin PADI published the following article:

Guidelines for Divers with Diabetes

What was considered an absolute contraindication to diving is now openly supported for those who are medically evaluated and who carefully monitor their condition. Divers who use medication (oral hypoglycemic agents or insulin) to treat diabetes but who are otherwise qualified to dive may undertake recreational scuba diving, provided certain criteria are met. Those using dietary control will easily meet the guidelines. This was the result of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society (UHMS) and the Divers Alert Network (DAN) published consensus guidelines resulting from their 2005 co-sponsored workshop, Diabetes and Recreational Diving: Guidelines for the Future. After scientific data review and related discussions, the conservative view held by the diving medical community on people diving who have insulin-dependent diabetes was relaxed. Guidelines produced from this workshop give the diver a means to factor in this medical condition and dive in a responsible manner. You can access these guidelines on the PADI Pros area of padi.com Reading Room, Resource Library. Please feel free to distribute this information to student divers asking about diving with diabetes. Note that these are simply “guidelines,” and not rules. Just as the RSTC medical form and accompanying guidelines for physicians are meant to assist the diver and doctor in making educated decisions with regard to fitness for diving, the guidelines for diving with diabetes should be used as an informational tool when the individual is medically evaluated for diving. You can order the full Diabetes and Recreational Diving: Guidelines for the Future workshop proceedings by contacting DAN Americas www.diversalertnetwork.org.

Hopefully this has been of help to you. Please feel free to contact me anytime you need our further assistance.

All the very best and kind regards,

Brigit Jager

Co-ordinator, Educational Consultants

Training & Quality Management

PADI Asia Pacific

Hope it helps... ;)
Web-surfing is also a type of diving...
santadive
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby vicheat Joe » Wed May 09, 2007 3:30 am

glad to hear that I still can dive
vicheat Joe
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Bones » Wed May 09, 2007 8:15 am

Hi VJ... yes you can... but first get the sugars under control and keep fit.... Exercise is difficult I know.... but even in general diving for people with no underlying disease one must be fit to pursue and enjoy this activity...

Before your next dive, get a doctor (preferbly one with a indepth knowledge of diving medicine) or if not at least a physician to assess your fitness

You can do it...and we will see you diving soon, I'm sure ;)
Bones
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#8  Postby SuperKingKong® » Wed May 09, 2007 9:47 am

thanks for the info there. now we have a clearer picture of it.
cheers...
"Dive Like Hell & You'll Be There" (it's so true... i personally have experienced it)
SuperKingKong®
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#9  Postby divedoc » Sun May 13, 2007 6:36 pm

I do not see any reason why diabetics shouldn't dive, provided that their blood glucose is under strict control. In the military, being a diabetic who is insulin-dependent means a NO-NO to diving, but we have a more relaxed approach for those who are non-insulin-dependent type.

As for recreational divers, i have yet to encounter diabetics who come to me asking for advice and medical check-up prior to enrolling for dive training. Although we do not enforce various dive agencies e.g PADI, NAUI, or SSI to make sure that their new students undergo medical checkup prior to dive class, it is imperative that these students understand that not only being physically fit is a must for diving, but also medically fit as well.

So, for those diabetics out there keen on diving, don't just follow the guidelines, coz that's what they really are: GUIDELINES! Just think about this, how often do we follow guidelines during driving??? We do have guidelines, don't we?? If we're not sure on the driving guidelines, we ask the Road Transport Department officers. It's the same with diving, if we're not sure on the medical guidelines, go see a doctor. Don't take matters into your own hands, ok?? PLEASE??  
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon May 14, 2007 2:50 am

Hello Divedoc. You have a long list of queries to answer...hehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness