MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Re: Headpain

Re: Headpain

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Headpain

Post Number:#1  Postby Steven » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:27 pm

Hi

Just need some advice here.

This began after doing the deep dive when taking my AOW. I had this intense pain at the top of my head. After 2 panadols and a night's rest, the pain would dissipate, but there remains a slight floating sensation. The floating sensation would go away after 48 hours. Yesterday before going for a wreck dive I made sure I drank lots of fluid. We stayed around 24 meters, it occurred again 3 hours after surfacing. Now I am wondering if I should continue diving or just stay around 18meters

I have spoken with 5 different DMs, 3 thinks I was dehydrating, while 2 thinks I ascended too fast. But then I followed my DM when ascending with the 3m safe stop.

Anyone with similar experiences?
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author
Topics: 1

Post Number:#2  Postby kimseng the maverick rogue » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 pm

intense pain in the head can also mean that your sinuses are slightly blocked.

also, do you do skip breathing? the built up of CO2 can cause headache as well.

best check your sinuses 1st. if you're cleared by a medical professional for any factor that might contribute to the headache, next step it to relax during your dive. don't worry too much about your air consumption. Many divers are just to vain about their air consumption. Breath normally and enjoy the dive minus all the pressure to be better. FYI most of the time a female will surface with more air than men.
Sex is like math...
add the bed, substract the clothes, divide the legs & pray U don't multiply...
kimseng the maverick rogue
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#3  Postby Ketam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:41 pm

Steven,

a few divers that dived with Ketam before also complained of the problem..... mostly it is the sinus problem..... ascending slowly gives enough time to get the sinus cleared..... DMs or other divers without this problem may ascend slowly... you may need to ascend slowwweerrr....

Drinking water help in elevating this problem as the sinus will be watery thus easier to clear....

A few divers always have this problem and after the blockage is cleared, normally with some nosebleed, would they feel better.

Ketam read a few other forums that suggest some sinus medication... there is even a specific medication called Scubafed in Aus bit not available here.
The problem with meds is sometimes their effect is time specific and you may end up if a false sense of security.

Dive Safe Always.
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Steven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:19 am

Hi Kim Seng & Ketam

Appreciate your time in responding to my problem.

Ketam - I have googled and learn a bit about sinus. The region sinus pain is not where I am having it. As such, I don't think I have sinus as the pain is on top of my head. I have never had this pain on top of my head before until I took the deep dive. I have never had a history of sinus problem. I wake up, I don't sound funny. Well, I have learned something about sinus.

Kim Seng - so far I have only logged 14 dives. My first 9 dives which is all within the 18m level, I have never experience this pain before. My air consumption during my 4 OW course dives at 14m average 44mins. I start at 200 bars and end at 60 bars. My latest at 7m is 65mins. Start at 200 bars and end at 50 bars. Is this OK/normal?

The problem started when I went down 30m in my deep dive. I start at 200 bars and end at 40 bars, av 45 mins. During my wreck dive, start at 200 bars and end at 50 bars, depth av 24m and av time 45 mins. Is this normal for most people who dive this depth?

BTW, I use medium size BCD and I don't smoke and drink.

My reason for asking about this issue is b'cuz I am now considering whether it's worth the pain-in-head everytime I surface after exceeding 18m or just be content with not going below 18m.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby nanda666 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:04 am

Hi Steven.

Just another small item to check is your mask. The deeper you dive, the greater the pressure acting on it and if you don't equalize the air space inside your mask (By lightly breathing into it via nose.), it can cause the kind of pain you're describing. (I had students experience this before even when the mask strap is too tight.)

Similar pain can even occur when your wet suit or hood is too tight.
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#6  Postby jgshuwei » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:05 am

For me, I'll beleive is hypercapnia.

My early days of diving, every 1st dive of the trip I'll end up headache (depth is not a factor). I don't know what is the reason, tried to clear my sinus, slower ascend rate, many safety stops and etc. It just suddenly vanished after my 50++ dives. So don't worry, your body will adapt to it.
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#7  Postby ericliow » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:56 am

for me, the cold and seasickness will cause me headache, but after several trips my body and mind adapted to it, left me passion enjoying every single dive now....... :smileinbox:
Keep The SHARKS In The Ocean And Out Of The Soups
ericliow
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#8  Postby Steven » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:28 pm

Hi jgshuwei

wah!! you must be a passionate diver to tahan 50+ dives with that head pain. I would have called it a day. That being said, will read up more about 'hypercapnia'.

nanda666 - will remember what you said in my next dive. There's the possibility that since I didn't get those head pain at shallower depths it's b'cuz my body could handle the tightness of my mask at that depth.  And when I go deeper, the squeeze is greater and therefore it gave me the head pains. Will see what the outcome is after my next dive, which will be some very time away.

Thanks for your sharing 
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby jgshuwei » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Frankly, my 1st year of diving is not enjoyable at all. 1st trip OWD, 2nd trip accompany my buddy repeart her OWD, 3rd trip AOW and last trip RD. At that point, I just want to make sure, i can take care myself should anything happen. After 300+ dives I took my DM and now preparing for my IDC. I'm not the 1st and not the last forumer end up open a dive center with fellow forumers. Haha...
jgshuwei
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#10  Postby Steven » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:29 am

Hi

Just want to update about my headpain. I kept a loose strap, just enough to hold the mask in place. Problem solved.

Thanks for sharing.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby vash_h » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:57 am

i know why..

last year, when i went diving.. after my 3m safety stop, i immediately fully inflate my BCD and VRRROOOM.. to the surface.. of course headache oooo..

kena hantam kao kao by my buddies..  :laughing11: :laughing11:
<--www.haroldchia.com-->
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#12  Postby wild_card » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:23 am

vash_h wrote:i know why..

last year, when i went diving.. after my 3m safety stop, i immediately fully inflate my BCD and VRRROOOM.. to the surface.. of course headache oooo..

kena hantam kao kao by my buddies..  :laughing11: :laughing11:

wah... very dangerous....
only full inflate your BCD when u reach the surface................
wild_card
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby Ketam » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 pm

This inflating BC prior to surfacing is a common novice mistake..... Ketam have seen worst.... DM signaled safety stop and this fella (maybe about 10m)... inflated his BC.....

We were dumbstruck!!!.... Another reminder.... in that situation... do not chase the diver... Signal the DM... do not try to be a hero...
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#14  Postby nanda666 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:58 pm

Steven wrote:Hi

Just want to update about my headpain. I kept a loose strap, just enough to hold the mask in place. Problem solved.

Thanks for sharing.

Glad to be of help. Another lesson to learn here is sometimes the simplest answer, explanation or solution may be the easiest. Happy diving dude!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#15  Postby Steven » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:51 pm

yeah nanda, sometimes it's the simplest thing that solves the problem.

Another issue.

I was wondering if anyone has a simple solution to overcome motion sickness besides taking motion sickness tablets? I threw up twice at this latest dive even though I took the tablet as the sea was quite choppy.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby ericliow » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Steven wrote:yeah nanda, sometimes it's the simplest thing that solves the problem.

Another issue.

I was wondering if anyone has a simple solution to overcome motion sickness besides taking motion sickness tablets? I threw up twice at this latest dive even though I took the tablet as the sea was quite choppy.

bro easy....dont drink and dive......hahahaha :P
ericliow
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#17  Postby Steven » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:12 pm

eric

must eat and dive and not drink and dive, otherwise fish got no food to eat  :D  :D  :D
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby vash_h » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:43 am

wow.. u sure know how to attract fishes.. did they swarm to your vomit?  :laughing11: :laughing11:
<--www.haroldchia.com-->
vash_h
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#19  Postby nanda666 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Steven wrote:

Okie....here goes my 2 cents since I was sailing for 12 years of my working life as a Marine engineer on sea-going oil tankers!!!

1. Do take the tablets early. (As soon as you get on the boat.)

2. try to eat dry food and limit the fluids. (Don't worry...you won't dehydrate that quickly la....) Recommend toast and a glass of plain water for morning dives.

3. If it's a big boat, try to stay at the lowest point and as close to the center as possible. (Least amount of movement.)

4. Keep yourself busy by chatting with others, etc. (Don't read or look at the horizon.....this will surely cause you to throw up.)

Finally, if the boat is rocking and rolling, and you do feel sick.....well...don't worry bout it bcos it happens to the most of us. (And don't let anyone put you down for it either!!! :P :P )
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#20  Postby ericliow » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:41 pm

Steven wrote:eric

must eat and dive and not drink and dive, otherwise fish got no food to eat  :D  :D  :D

hahah......
ericliow
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#21  Postby Steven » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:27 pm

nanda666 wrote:
Okie....here goes my 2 cents since I was sailing for 12 years of my working life as a Marine engineer on sea-going oil tankers!!!

2. try to eat dry food and limit the fluids. (Don't worry...you won't dehydrate that quickly la....) Recommend toast and a glass of plain water for morning dives.

3. If it's a big boat, try to stay at the lowest point and as close to the center as possible. (Least amount of movement.)

4. Keep yourself busy by chatting with others, etc. (Don't read or look at the horizon.....this will surely cause you to throw up.)

Finally, if the boat is rocking and rolling, and you do feel sick.....well...don't worry bout it bcos it happens to the most of us. (And don't let anyone put you down for it either!!! :P :P )

thanks bro, I am just one of those who is not destine to be a fisherman. All that you suggested oledi done but of no use when weather's bad. Maybe take 2 tablets like one diver did.
Steven
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby nanda666 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:12 am

Steven wrote:
nanda666 wrote:

thanks bro, I am just one of those who is not destine to be a fisherman. All that you suggested oledi done but of no use when weather's bad. Maybe take 2 tablets like one diver did.

Well...only 2 more suggestions..... Choose your dive trips carefully so:

1. Minimum distance to dive sites by boat. (For example, choose the SeaVenture rather than SWV....Choose Tulamben instead of Nusa Penida....etc...etc....you get the picture.)

2. If you have to dive in locations using boats, try operaters with bigger boats.

Good luck!! :) :)
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#23  Postby fun diver » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:12 am

Get enough quality sleep before dive.
fun diver
Diver
Diver

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness