MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Is this really a full stop for my diving days?

Is this really a full stop for my diving days?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Is this really a full stop for my diving days?

Post Number:#1  Postby gonjol07 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Hi there,

Recently i had a minor hernia operation, the Docs ask me to wait around (6 month) and avoid heavy load stuff after that.... Is this really a full stop for my diving days? or can I still dive? with all the tank (not that heavy under water) is there any way around this? do help me.... thanks!  [-(
gonjol07
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Is this really a full stop for my diving days?

Post Number:#2  Postby anwa » Sat Dec 25, 2010 6:27 am

gonjol07 wrote:Hi there,

Recently i had a minor hernia operation, the Docs ask me to wait around (6 month) and avoid heavy load stuff after that.... Is this really a full stop for my diving days? or can I still dive? with all the tank (not that heavy under water) is there any way around this? do help me.... thanks!  [-(

Do ask your doctor how heavy are you allowed. Can also always get 2nd opinion on the allowed activities 3, 6, 12months after the operation. Recreation is always a personal choice between enjoyment and risk.
Or you can also tell your dive operator about your problem and they probably can accommodate by helping you in donning the gear in water rather than lugged it on the beach or in the boat.
anwa
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby Narco » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:52 pm

gonjol07 wrote:Hi there,

Bro, i personally do not think you have to worry about that. Yes, give yourself a space of time (as mentioned 6 month). Even better, wait for a year before you can start. I know someone who had a hernia operation and even a heart attack after that who started diving and he is still doing so without complication (on the hernia and cardiac). Go slow for now before gaining any speed. I'm sure you'll be alright and should be diving again after that.

Plus, despite the operation, do also exercise (slow and light of course) as it somehow help in the recivery process. I wish you all the best.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#4  Postby gonjol07 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:35 am

;) thanks for the reply guys... been to the docs recently n the doc say the same thing... give it a rest for 6 month then starts back slowly. The main things is, its not the end of my diving days WHHHOOORRRAAA! :D thanks guys!
gonjol07
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Ketam » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:48 pm

the sea will be waiting for you bro.....
your health is more important than any recreational activity....

lets go diving when you are better!!!

Ketam dived with divers after bypass and various other operations. Once the doctors gives a green light, go for it.... until then stay cool
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Narco » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Whatever it is, safety first! I'm agreeing to Ketam. Health is much more important that any recreational activities. Slow and easy bro.
I'm Not Perfect, but I'm Limited Edition
Narco
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Topics: 11

Post Number:#7  Postby ericliow » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:51 am

Ketam wrote:the sea will be waiting for you bro.....
your health is more important than any recreational activity....

lets go diving when you are better!!!

Ketam dived with divers after bypass and various other operations. Once the doctors gives a green light, go for it.... until then stay cool

second that.........
Keep The SHARKS In The Ocean And Out Of The Soups
ericliow
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#8  Postby dp » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:08 pm

A few more "tips" to consider once you start diving again (and to further elaborate on some mentioned here) :

Do inform your DM/Guide of your condition prior to diving.

He/She/They will then help you via
1 - Equipment donning/removal in-water .
How to do this? Once you have reached the dive site, put on your mask and fins. Jump in the water. The boatman/DM will then lower your equipment (with the bcd inflated) into the water.

Then try to recall what you did during OW training and put on your equipment.  B-)

Upon the completion of your dive, you can, at the surface, remove your equipment in the water. But do make sure that you have their attention and that you have removed your weightbelt beforehand.
The boat crew will then haul your equipment into the boat.

2 - If in-water assembly isnt possible (due to surge or currents etc), get yourself organised on the boat. And what I mean by this is that you plonk yourself right next to your equipment (in small boats) so that all you need to do upon reaching a dive site is to don the BC (with the help of your buddy, DM or boatman) put on your mask and fins on, and....backroll.

Should you be on a LOB with similar sea conditions, Don your equipment, get the help of the boat crew to hold up your tank on the dive platform before Giant Striding in.

Hope this helps
Last edited by dp on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One woman brings you into this world crying.
The other ensures you continue to do so for the rest of your life...
dp
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#9  Postby gonjol07 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:06 am

Yup... will do that...  thanks a lot bro! Safe dive for all and happy Chinese new year.... :D
gonjol07
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness