MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Re: Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Post Number:#31  Postby divedoc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:43 pm

thanks santadive...

wow... that's a lot  :o

wondering if it's cheaper in m'sia  ;)

hmmm .. wondering are there any other insurance here in MY that cover this...  :-/

It's definitely cheaper in Malaysia...Dirt Cheap!!! If u don't believe me, try calling DAN Malaysia Hotline @ 05-9304114 to check the cost of the treatment. And i'm sure you wouldn't have to go through so many treatments to get full recovery...UNLESS YOU GET TREATED LATE!!! Meaning that you are already having DCS, but you waited for a couple of weeks just to be sure, AND THEN you come to get treatment...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#32  Postby GOD » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Dey Snafu bro!! Orthopod is Orthopedic doctor lah!! Takkan octopus kot???

ZZZ ... Thanks!!!!

DiveDoc .... I thought it got something to do with Teeth  :P

;D  ;D  ;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#33  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:37 am

...well, my situation is... after last week dive, was tired (so, i'm not sure whether it's because of my tiredness or is it DCS). flew off (after about 19 hours) back to my place. was quite tired... need lots of sleep/rest. the next day, my knee pain, when slight bending. (again i'm not sure whether it was because of carrying too much heavy things the other day, especially the dive gear bag or was it dcs) ... after about 2-3 days. it was gone. but till now, almost about a week, still quite tired...  btw, i didn't stop working, working everyday (office job) .. kekekeee.. about 8-12 hrs a day.

any opinions? :P if i'm in malaysia.. sure will visit the doc already :P

Well,well,well...it's been a while since my last post. Actually, this IS a good topic, create some awareness for all divers in this forum.

It's a known fact that symptoms of DCS appear after 10 minutes till up to 12 hours after surfacing from a dive, but i have experienced getting divers who presented with symptoms characteristic of DCS >24hours after surfacing from a dive. First of all, you need to know how to differentiate between tiredness (normal muscle aches and pain after a long dive!) and DCS symptoms. Tiredness usually goes off after a good night's sleep...(who disagrees with me???) If it doesn't, it is highly likely (about 80-90% chances) to be DCS. Furthermore, ur symptoms were aggravated by the flying u did 19 hours after ur dive. Did anyone ever tell u that u shouldn't be flying <24hours after a dive? And that is a no-D dive, mind u!

Anyway, i guess ur problem is basically a straight-forward DCS, so getting recompress would really benefit ur a lot, but do not expect miracles, coz it's been a while since the dive. You have a 33% chance of fully recovering, 33% chance of improving slightly, or another 33% chance of not having recovered at all, meaning that u will have to live with it permanently.

So, make a choice...i'm sure u do have medical insurance, right?? Better late than never, okay?  

hi doc,

thanks for your great reply.
hmm... straight-forward dcs? any further explanation on what is that?
well, for flying after diving, i know the best would be 24 hrs later... but due to time limitation  :P i would try to get the minimal recommendation time from Padi, that is 18 hours.

and after coming back here, i have not taken a good night rest, due to work constraint, till now. so, apparently, the knee pain, last for few days only, not sure whether i carried too much heavy things that few days or whether it's really DCS.

as of now, i'm quite ok, just that tired and sleepy, working everyday and didn't have a good rest. not sure whether is it related to DCS.

i don't have a dive insurance  :(
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#34  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:53 am

thanks santadive...

wow... that's a lot  :o

wondering if it's cheaper in m'sia  ;)

hmmm .. wondering are there any other insurance here in MY that cover this...  :-/

It's definitely cheaper in Malaysia...Dirt Cheap!!! If u don't believe me, try calling DAN Malaysia Hotline @ 05-9304114 to check the cost of the treatment. And i'm sure you wouldn't have to go through so many treatments to get full recovery...UNLESS YOU GET TREATED LATE!!! Meaning that you are already having DCS, but you waited for a couple of weeks just to be sure, AND THEN you come to get treatment...

that makes me worried  :-? :o
superkingkong

Topic author

Previous

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness