MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Post Number:#1  Postby superkingkong » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:18 am

hey guys,

just a silly question, if after a dive trip, i have minor joints pain.. or fatique... etc.. will it get well after some time or after some urut urut with traditional ubat ? .. or must we go into the chamber?
superkingkong

Topic author

Re: Can we self-recover from mild dcs?

Post Number:#2  Postby GOD » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:51 am

hey guys,

just a silly question, if after a dive trip, i have minor joints pain.. or fatique... etc.. will it get well after some time or after some urut urut with traditional ubat ? .. or must we go into the chamber?

Are you feeling better now? Mild DCS ... can go away without treatment.

Best if you can have 100% Oxygen.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby bobo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:40 pm

for me, if the minor pain does not cure within three days after a 100% Oxy treatment, i better have a visit to the Dr. don't want to take the risk la... we wouldn't know what is happening to the inner body right.
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:48 pm

One thing you must remember..DCS symptoms show between 15 minutes to 12 hours after surfacing. It can go away (but I would advise not to go diving for some time..Divedoc can probably give better advice), but it can also becom worse if left untreated, but the best is to go on pure O2 if you recognise the symptoms.

Divedoc would be the best person for you to ask this question, which is why I've moved this topic into this thread.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby bijan » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:21 pm

erm..lets say on surface interval after 15 minutes of a dive like tat, how  do u differentiate a shoulder ache whether its mild dcs or just tiredness(prior to absense of dive trips) ?
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:08 am

erm..lets say on surface interval after 15 minutes of a dive like tat, how  do u differentiate a shoulder ache whether its mild dcs or just tiredness(prior to absense of dive trips) ?

Well, you will need to recognise the signs and symptoms of DCS. Symptoms include marbling of the skin (if you watch a lot of X-Files, you can see this.but darker skin coloured person may have difficulties recognising this symptom), itching of the skin, tiredness, dizzy, pain in your limbs, numbness, tingling sensation, loss of motor coordination. Signs that you can see include skin rashes, non-stop coughing, instability, tongue sticking out (facial paralysis), and/or unconsciousness. If any of these symptoms ad signs progress into something else as time pass by, then it is best to go for early DCS management..go on 100% O2 for 20 minutes with 5-minute air breaks in between. O2 must be administered even if symptoms disappear..and get the diver into a hyperbaric/recompression chamber as soon as possible.

Recreational divers are increasingly suffering from neurological syndromes, affecting the spinal cord..mainly due to doing short deep dives..like what many like to do in Sipadan especially...doing touch-and-go to 45-50 meters and ascending back to recreational depths in a short time.  I've stressed this point time and time again, I'll keep stressing this point. Many don't realise the dangers of busting your limit of 30m and what physiological effects it has on your body and the gases within.

If you think doing a touch and go to 40-50-60 meters is safe as you think you don't bust your NDL, think and rethink again. Remember, the only way for you to NOT get DCS is to NOT dive. So by diving safely within the regimes of your certification's training makes diving as a sport safer, and keeps you alive and also well.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby superkingkong » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:47 am

wow.. thanks for the info... really really appreciate it.

thanks snafu, for your concern.

by the way, can't really go to the doc for minor problems... in the US :P .. heard that it's very expensive .. kekekeee

well, my situation is... after last week dive, was tired (so, i'm not sure whether it's because of my tiredness or is it DCS). flew off (after about 19 hours) back to my place. was quite tired... need lots of sleep/rest. the next day, my knee pain, when slight bending. (again i'm not sure whether it was because of carrying too much heavy things the other day, especially the dive gear bag or was it dcs) ... after about 2-3 days. it was gone. but till now, almost about a week, still quite tired...  btw, i didn't stop working, working everyday (office job) .. kekekeee.. about 8-12 hrs a day.

any opinions? :P if i'm in malaysia.. sure will visit the doc already :P
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby superkingkong » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:27 am

hey guys,

Are you feeling better now? Mild DCS ... can go away without treatment.

Best if you can have 100% Oxygen.

;D

hi snafu,

when u mean breath 100% oxygen,

where can i get it? the dc? ... or the hospital?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby GOD » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:59 pm

hi snafu,

DC should have it.

If you are back on mainland, you can get 100% O2 at Hospital or Clinic.

Dont forget to inform the Doc about your diving trip & have your diving profile ready for Q&A.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby mocha » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:08 pm

p/s or better still, they'll UPGRADE you to biz or 1st class.... ;)

i love this part......  ;D really possible ka?? thanx for the tips... hehe.... after this u'll find alot of passanger having 'breathing difficulties'... hehe....
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:40 am

hi snafu,

DC should have it.

If you are back on mainland, you can get 100% O2 at Hospital or Clinic.

Dont forget to inform the Doc about your diving trip & have your diving profile ready for Q&A.

;D

Another reason why logging dives is important  ;)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby GOD » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:16 am

Another reason why logging dives is important  ;)

Dive log is very vital for diving related injuries & treatment.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:19 am

hehe.. ic.. :) all along, i thought logging dives are to "show off" only ..  ;D  :P as in where have u been, how deep you've been  ;)

now i know there is also another factor... i like this informative forum, thanks :)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:22 am

I'd take 100% O2 everytime before I start flying but can only get it in the aircraft....well you can have it too when you're flying as a passenger on any airline...just tell the crew that you're having some "difficulty in breathing"...they'll bring you the cabin therapeutic bottle for you to breathe but don't quote me ya.... ;D ;D ;D

cool!.. didn't know that aircraft also got 100% oxygen to breath :P
wondering if those "breathing mask" that fells from the top, does it provide 100% oxygen?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby george » Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:36 am

Yes SKK but that one only to be used during a cabin decompression and will last for 12 mins so use it when it drops on top of your head and start timing....! As for recreational mild DCS go and see a doctor and tell him what's wrong with you.
....and tell yourself that ALL these emergency/first aid equipment on board the aircraft are there for people who REALLY need it. ;)
Last edited by george on Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
george

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:20 am

ah.. thanks for the info :)

hmm.. since it's vailable free mah.. wallup it lah :P  ;D

j/k... ya .. understandable lah :)

hmm.. my next question would be, if one got mild DCS... and he has to breath 100% oxygen, how long he has to breath? one whole tank?  ::)
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:08 pm

As many tanks as it would take until the victim gets proper medical attention (in a recompression chamber)...even if the symptoms had disappeared before getting to the chamber.

Proper provision of O2 is also as important. O2 can burn your lungs after a while.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:19 pm

:o O2 can burn lung? .. gosh...

hmm.. it's a mild one wor... need doctor attention meh? ... cannot just ask DC to give a tank of O2 meh?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:46 pm

DC can give you O2. But O2 alone doesn't cure DCS. The signs and symptoms of DCS may disappear but it may still be there within your system if not treated properly. Usually if one gets mild DCS and doesn't treat it, then goes back diving...gets it worse the second time and may result in death. There was one case last year in Tioman.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby superkingkong » Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:29 am

ohh... sounds scary... care to share the story more?

btw.. aren't we off-gasing when we are on the land?
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby santadive » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:55 pm

DCS is caused by some of the Nitrogen (-or other breathing gasses) expanding too fast! That means that the nitrogen (in a bubble form) is to big to get filtered out through your lungs and stay in your body. The O2 can help the nitrogen dissolve and take it out of your body...
Sometimes that just isn't enough and you will need pressure to reduce the size of the bubbles... Hence the Re-compression treatment. In the chamber you will breathe Oxygen in intervals depending of the severness of your symptoms and the treatment they decide to give you!

I would highly recommend you to get some insurance (DAN or other) that covers you for diving. Here in Thailand they will generally charge you anywhere between 500 and 2500 US$ per hour. And then just remember that the most used treatment is 6 hours per time....

-the joy and fun of diving hehe ;)
santadive

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:06 pm

Santadive...good reminder for the divers to conduct their dives safely. Hehe. ;)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby superkingkong » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:48 pm

thanks santadive...

wow... that's a lot  :o

wondering if it's cheaper in m'sia  ;)

hmmm .. wondering are there any other insurance here in MY that cover this...  :-/
superkingkong

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby divedoc » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:53 pm

...well, my situation is... after last week dive, was tired (so, i'm not sure whether it's because of my tiredness or is it DCS). flew off (after about 19 hours) back to my place. was quite tired... need lots of sleep/rest. the next day, my knee pain, when slight bending. (again i'm not sure whether it was because of carrying too much heavy things the other day, especially the dive gear bag or was it dcs) ... after about 2-3 days. it was gone. but till now, almost about a week, still quite tired...  btw, i didn't stop working, working everyday (office job) .. kekekeee.. about 8-12 hrs a day.

any opinions? :P if i'm in malaysia.. sure will visit the doc already :P

Well,well,well...it's been a while since my last post. Actually, this IS a good topic, create some awareness for all divers in this forum.

It's a known fact that symptoms of DCS appear after 10 minutes till up to 12 hours after surfacing from a dive, but i have experienced getting divers who presented with symptoms characteristic of DCS >24hours after surfacing from a dive. First of all, you need to know how to differentiate between tiredness (normal muscle aches and pain after a long dive!) and DCS symptoms. Tiredness usually goes off after a good night's sleep...(who disagrees with me???) If it doesn't, it is highly likely (about 80-90% chances) to be DCS. Furthermore, ur symptoms were aggravated by the flying u did 19 hours after ur dive. Did anyone ever tell u that u shouldn't be flying <24hours after a dive? And that is a no-D dive, mind u!

Anyway, i guess ur problem is basically a straight-forward DCS, so getting recompress would really benefit ur a lot, but do not expect miracles, coz it's been a while since the dive. You have a 33% chance of fully recovering, 33% chance of improving slightly, or another 33% chance of not having recovered at all, meaning that u will have to live with it permanently.

So, make a choice...i'm sure u do have medical insurance, right?? Better late than never, okay?  
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:03 pm

Hey, Doc. Long time no see. Glad to have you back.  Yes, this topic is important as many divers, especially recreational divers, think that they may never get DCS, and that no-fly times are just some theory conjured up in some physician's mind.

It's real and the damage is permanent. Let it be known.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby zzz » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Hi divedoc and everyone else,

Just to add on to your post.. Since I am an Orthopod (divedoc would understand) ;)

The problem with some of the DCS complications are that you don't see the effect immediately. Some of the problems especially those affecting your joints (mainly the hips) will surface after 2-3 years. What happens is the N2 bubble will block the blood supply to your hips causing the bone to die - it's known as Caisson's Disease (for those who are interested to know more) and in the eand would cause you to suffer from hip osteoarthritis very early in life

So for those who think that you might have beaten DCS (as mild as it may be) just be aware that this other complication may happen.

So be safe and don't take unnecessary chances
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby SeaDemon » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 am

Haha. Never underestimate the layman. I know what an Orthopod is.

BTW sounds like you're talking about Dysbaric Osteonecrosis.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby GOD » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:40 am

Just to add on to your post.. Since I am an Orthopod (divedoc would understand) ;)

ZZZ... What is [highlight]ORTHOPOD[/highlight]?

Thanks.

;D
GOD

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby zzz » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:25 am

SD you are rite... Dysbaric osteonecrosis or Avascular Necrosis of the bone secondary to Caisson's Disease or DCS...

Snafu..Orthopod hmmm...is a person who deals with diseases or problems with the bones.
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby divedoc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:29 pm

SD you are rite... Dysbaric osteonecrosis or Avascular Necrosis of the bone secondary to Caisson's Disease or DCS...

Snafu..Orthopod hmmm...is a person who deals with diseases or problems with the bones.

YeP, it's dysbaric osteonecrosis...but i have yet to encounter anyone with dysbaric osteonecrosis as recent as 2-3 years after getting DCS...i dunno, maybe haven't had enuff experience kot?? But to stress a point, dysbaric osteonecrosis is actually a complication of untreated DCS, and the reason i'm reluctant to do any follow-up study on it is because it takes more than 10-20 years for a patient to manifest with symptoms e.g fractures of femoral neck etc...

Dey Snafu bro!! Orthopod is Orthopedic doctor lah!! Takkan octopus kot???
divedoc

Topic author

Next

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness