MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Bad Filling and Deep Diving

Bad Filling and Deep Diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Bad Filling and Deep Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:35 am

Doc, I was in the toilet planning my deep dive and so on when I remembered that before a high altitude jump, we had to have our dental fillings re-done (yes..painful) before we could go for a chamber ride to simulate hypobaric conditions of 6000 meters.

Say if a diver has bad fillings and somehow air has gotten into a bad filling while diving at..say, 60msw.,would it expand to cause severe pain as it would in a depressurized aircraft cabin at 6000m or any other hypobaric conditions?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: Bad Filling and Deep Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby bobo » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:15 pm

tooth barotrauma la ni..
bobo

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:30 am

Something like that la ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby santadive » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:42 pm

Had a friend that the problem during a dive back in the 80's. The filling split his tooth during the decend -the air the broke his jaw during the ascend... -He was luckily in "hard-hat" so besides the pain and blood everywhere he was ok! [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif]

It doesn't seem to be that much of a problem with the newer type of fillings these days but can still hurt!
santadive

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby bijan » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:46 pm

hye santadive..i see that its ur first post..welcome to muw

if u dun mind, pls create a topic in the introduction thread to introduce urself..:D

http://malaysianunderwater.com/Forums/Y ... d=General3
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:08 pm

Had a friend that the problem during a dive back in the 80's. The filling split his tooth during the decend -the air the broke his jaw during the ascend... -He was luckily in "hard-hat" so besides the pain and blood everywhere he was ok! [smiley=shocked.gif] [smiley=shocked.gif]

It doesn't seem to be that much of a problem with the newer type of fillings these days but can still hurt!

Yeah...many people take their dental health for granted. Stuff like this do happen once in a while and the victim's always in for a rude shock. ::)
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby divedoc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:55 pm

Doc, I was in the toilet planning my deep dive and so on when I remembered that before a high altitude jump, we had to have our dental fillings re-done (yes..painful) before we could go for a chamber ride to simulate hypobaric conditions of 6000 meters.

Say if a diver has bad fillings and somehow air has gotten into a bad filling while diving at..say, 60msw.,would it expand to cause severe pain as it would in a depressurized aircraft cabin at 6000m or any other hypobaric conditions?

Would it expand?? Definitely!! As long as you ascend from a high-pressure environment to a lower-pressure environment, the air in the filling will definitely expand...regardless whether you're from 60msw going to the surface, or from flying from 0m sea level up to 6000m high, the total barometric pressure reduces, hence the volume of air expands. That's according to the Boyle's Law (still remember that law, SD??)

Hope that explains your queries...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:59 am

Would it expand?? Definitely!! As long as you ascend from a high-pressure environment to a lower-pressure environment, the air in the filling will definitely expand...regardless whether you're from 60msw going to the surface, or from flying from 0m sea level up to 6000m high, the total barometric pressure reduces, hence the volume of air expands. That's according to the Boyle's Law (still remember that law, SD??)

Hope that explains your queries...

Yeah, I remember Boyle's Law, Doc. Was just wondering what kind of effect would it have in diving..but I guess Santadive's description of his friend's problem explains it too  ;D :o
SeaDemon

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness