MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Training using the Heart Rate Training Zone.

Training using the Heart Rate Training Zone.

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Training using the Heart Rate Training Zone.

Post Number:#1  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Hello bebs and Dive Doc.

Right now i am training using a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor). Max HR is 189 (ni tak belasah sampai nak rasa muntah lagi). HR at resting at 64 on average (cannot get accurate reading sebab exited everytime nak check...heh).

I am concentrating my traning right now in zone 2,3 and 4.

What i need to know is:
1. If there is improvement in fitness, i should expect HR to be lower than previous for the same amount of exertion. Is this correct?
2. There is a function that calculates recovery HR which is the differrence between 2 reading with 1 minit interval. Improvement would mean that the difference should be greater as you progress. Is this correct?
3. What other indication that i should look for to gauge progress?
4. What is the recommended time to spend in a perticular HR zone to yield reasonable improvement? How many minits/hours per week?

Would glad if Dive Doc or others could help me on this. Right now main agak agak aje...
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Re: Training using the Heart Rate Training Zone.

Post Number:#2  Postby Snafu » Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:55 am

Good one dude ... I am interested to know too.

If is good I will buy one of those watch type to monitor my heart rate ... heheheheheee.

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#3  Postby BubbleBeaver » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am

HR at resting at 64 on average (cannot get accurate reading sebab exited everytime nak check...heh).

Hehe. Was there a hot nurse checking your heart rate?  ;)

BTW, I'm curious to know what training are you going for and what the training is for? Is it just for personal fitness or diving related?
BubbleBeaver
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby sheik » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:15 pm

HR at resting at 64 on average (cannot get accurate reading sebab exited everytime nak check...heh).

BTW, I'm curious to know what training are you going for and what the training is for? Is it just for personal fitness or diving related?

bubblebunny, our mephisto is into freediving.
Diving: A Serious Play
sheik
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#5  Postby divedoc » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:54 pm

What i need to know is:
1. If there is improvement in fitness, i should expect HR to be lower than previous for the same amount of exertion. Is this correct?
2. There is a function that calculates recovery HR which is the differrence between 2 reading with 1 minit interval. Improvement would mean that the difference should be greater as you progress. Is this correct?
4. What is the recommended time to spend in a perticular HR zone to yield reasonable improvement? How many minits/hours per week?

Would glad if Dive Doc or others could help me on this. Right now main agak agak aje...

Alamak, Mephisto, u got the wrong person to answer ur Q's lah...it's not that i can't answer ur Q's, but it's just that i'm not a fitness expert. But i'll try to answer some...
Q1: If there is improvement in fitness, i should expect HR to be lower than previous for the same amount of exertion. Is this correct?
A1: Correct. HR should be lower than previous if there is an improvement in fitness, usually the resting heart rate is lower.

Q2: There is a function that calculates recovery HR which is the differrence between 2 reading with 1 minit interval. Improvement would mean that the difference should be greater as you progress. Is this correct?
A2: Not necessary. Although a greater difference does show improvement, improvement in general would mean both readings to be lower than previous two readings, hence it cancels out the greater difference.

As for Q3 and Q4, please refer to a fitness expert as i'm not one, hehehe...
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:55 pm

Good one dude ... I am interested to know too.

If is good I will buy one of those watch type to monitor my heart rate ... heheheheheee.

;D

beb...right now aku pakai Timex punya..ok laa...really got to know my heart....found out that i am most relax in a typical day (non resting) is during driving.

Ok laa..at least ade indicator of current condition dari main train aje without an indicator...best investment i made in equipment this year i would say.
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:58 pm

no lah...normal laa...boys with toys...

Just personal fitness which covers everything.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:01 pm

What i need to know is:

Alamak, Mephisto, u got the wrong person to answer ur Q's lah...it's not that i can't answer ur Q's, but it's just that i'm not a fitness expert. But i'll try to answer some...
Q1: If there is improvement in fitness, i should expect HR to be lower than previous for the same amount of exertion. Is this correct?
A1: Correct. HR should be lower than previous if there is an improvement in fitness, usually the resting heart rate is lower.

Q2: There is a function that calculates recovery HR which is the differrence between 2 reading with 1 minit interval. Improvement would mean that the difference should be greater as you progress. Is this correct?
A2: Not necessary. Although a greater difference does show improvement, improvement in general would mean both readings to be lower than previous two readings, hence it cancels out the greater difference.

As for Q3 and Q4, please refer to a fitness expert as i'm not one, hehehe...

heh...thanks Doc... right now you are the only person that has the knowledge that i can consult..just trying my luck.....now have to go and find a fitness expert....Any fitness expert out there?....dont be shy...if shy PM me...heh
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby Mermaid_In_the_C » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:31 am

Halo everyone, I'm back.. :)
Mephisto,
It seems that your are looking more on cardiovascular fitness. Anyway, what would you like to achieve from the selected exercise program?If you choose running/jogging as the mode of exercise, can I know the intensity, duration and frequency of this program?
VALoRouS!!!!
Mermaid_In_the_C
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Halo everyone, I'm back.. :)
Mephisto,
It seems that your are looking more on cardiovascular fitness. Anyway, what would you like to achieve from the selected exercise program?If you choose running/jogging as the mode of exercise, can I know the intensity, duration and frequency of this program?

Yeah. what i would like to achive is overall fitness. as i am doing apnea and as per what dive doc said, doing a specific task with the least amount of effort /stress. apnea is all about O2 economy. so i would like to be able to do a 25 meter dynamic apnea with recovery heart rate (hr) of around 70 bpm. currently at around 90 bpm.

Aiseh...i dont have a specific programe....only what is convinient and available.

jog once a week at : 1.3km brisk walking operating in hr zone 2
                              1.95km jog operating in hr zone 3
                              0.65km sprint operating in hr zoe 4
swim 2 times a week at : 2 X 1km operating in hr zone 3

and i dont time myself.

Below is a brief description of HR zone:

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70% HR zone 1
Training within this zone develops basic endurance and aerobic capacity. All easy recovery running should be completed at a maximum of 70%. Another advantage to running in this zone is that while you are happily fat burning you may lose weight and you will be allowing your muscles to re-energise with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced workouts.

The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80% HR zone 2

Training in this zone will develop your cardiovascular system. The body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved. As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone it will be possible to run some of your long weekend runs at up to 75%, so getting the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity.

The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90% HR zone  3
Training in this zone will develop your lactic acid system. In this zone, your individual anaerobic threshold is found - sometimes referred to the point of deflection (POD). During these heart rates, the amount of fat being utilised as the main source of energy is greatly reduced and glycogen stored in the muscle is predominantly used. One of the by-products of burning this glycogen is lactic acid. There is a point at which the body can no longer remove the lactic acid from the working muscles quickly enough. This is your anaerobic threshold or POD. Through the correct training, it is possible to delay the POD by being able to increase your ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time or by pushing the POD higher.

The Red Line Zone 90% to 100% Hr zone 4
Training in this zone will only be possible for short periods. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibres and helps to develop speed. This zone is reserved for interval running and only the very fit are able to train effectively within this zone

So if possible can you recommend a better and effective program? if possible something resonably within the contrainst of a working guy laa that dont have much time in his hands.

Thanks.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby Snafu » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:16 pm

beb...right now aku pakai Timex punya..ok laa...really got to know my heart....found out that i am most relax in a typical day (non resting) is during driving.

Ok laa..at least ade indicator of current condition dari main train aje without an indicator...best investment i made in equipment this year i would say.

What is the price bro? I am interested to buy it ... where can I get it?

;D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#12  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:36 pm

What is the price bro? I am interested to buy it ... where can I get it?

;D

The timex HRM you can get it in any watch shop selling Timex..well..almost...i got mine in Sungai Wang. i saw some in Ampang park also.

Mine is the chepest at RM 300....There are 2 more models at RM400 and RM500...mine is just a basic HRM. the expensive ones caters to trilathon atheletes.

Also a good brand will be Polar......can get them at almost all shops that sells excercise equipment (bangsar.midvalley ect) more expensive than Timex but polar only do HRM..if you get what i mean.

But please note that for the timex transmitter, the batt is user replaceble, the polar you have to send back to the shop. but polar transmitter batt last for 4 years and timex 2 year (1 hour use per day).

Sunnto also do HRM but like their dive comm...bloddy expensive and comes with all the bells and wistles.....heh
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness