MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Types of exercise needed before starting scuba diving lessons......

Types of exercise needed before starting scuba diving lessons......

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Types of exercise needed before starting scuba diving lessons......

Post Number:#1  Postby pilotHans » Sat May 23, 2009 2:34 am

Hi guys,

I'm not sure weather this has been asked here or not, tried to search but couldnt find any similar topics...

1) I wonder what type of exercises do I need to do before I start diving?

note.......I like swimming but I cant say that I can swim like a fish  :P never tried deep see, but as far as I know I can float  :D
exercise? hmm...I think I just jog once in a fortnight...hahaha..

2) I'm just 63kgs with 175tall...haih...i consider myself a skinny person......so I wonder, do I need to be fit to dive? Any disadvantages that I may face?

3) any advice or tips before I do the learning part? Like need to at least can hold breath more then 1minute or whatever? I want to prepare myself but I hardly know what to do....

please advice....Thanks...
what we do in life echoes in eternity
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Re: Types of exercise needed before starting scuba diving lessons......

Post Number:#2  Postby Ketam » Sat May 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Hans,
Contrary to most believe, scuba is not that difficult to learn and do.

Swimming: A watermanship test is normally required, swimming 200m or 300m with mask and snorkel. Floating 10mins (If Ketam still remembers the handbook). But the most important thing is not being afraid of water hehehehe.

Physically: Equipment are heavy on land (15-20kg) but weightless underwater. Upperbody strength needed to climb ladder after dive hehehehe

Breathing: Divers need not hold breath!!! in fact it is a no no. You are suppose to breathe normally. We normally breathe slowly to conserve air.

Maybe the sifu's can chip in hehehehehe. Ketam just newbie too.
Ketam
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby nazur » Sun May 24, 2009 4:31 pm

basically I didnt do any exercise before OW...just go with my heart & soul... ;)

btw did my 200m test in the sea, & i can say salt water is not a favor to help me floating better..infact feel more terrible due to salty taste...gulp gulp little bit sea water during the test eeeyaarkkkkk.....mau muntahh rasanyer? :sad5:

my simple advice..get use to salt water and dun forget bring ur goggle as well...  :smileinbox:

if test done in swimming pool in fresh water..100% different story..
nazur
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby Arewhere » Mon May 25, 2009 9:14 am

:smileinbox:

regular exercise recommended and the most important thing is maintain a good health also a good morale B-) B-) B-) B-)
" SO OTHERS MAY DIVES"
Arewhere
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby JD » Mon May 25, 2009 10:07 am

sonag ajo..(so easy)....in terms of fitness PADI says you don't have to be an athelete,but should be in good health especially your respiratory and circulation system (which can consists of many things!!! mind you).If in doubt consult your doctor le...very the important wan...

Also there is a medical statement where you have to fill in (those where you have to fill in YES or NO regarding medical stuff)..before you start your confined water or water skills.Would stress you answer those questions honestly. Maybe you can ask the dive center for the medical statement before you start so you know where you stand.

In terms of exercise before starting scuba....mmmm..what else but swimming....you are goning to play with water afterall!!!! :D :D :D
Do whatever you want to do.You only have one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.
JD
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby Mike Wong » Tue May 26, 2009 5:58 am

Just get enough sleep and healthy meal.
If you get sick then waste AL and $$.
Regards,
Mike Wong
(9W2MMM)
Mike Wong
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby pilotHans » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:39 pm

thanks for the comments guys .......really appreciate it..

so 200-300 meters swim test in the sea or pool? OK, i need to start training  :D
what we do in life echoes in eternity
pilotHans
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness