MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Re: Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Post Number:#31  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:06 am

Hello Mermaid. Your first post. Care to introduce yourself to the other members first in the INTRODUCTION thread?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#32  Postby putradiver » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:17 pm

We have more than 400 muscles in our body that we use everyday. Thus, there are a few muscles that are under our control; shoulders, upper arms, chest, back waist, thighs and calves. If these muscles were used and maintained consistently, they will remain firm, flexible and well-balanced throughout your life.
Many of us seem to have accepted the “fact” that we have to fight a battle against waistline flab. However, to remain slim and fit we have to look past our abdomen to the other core muscles in our body.
Aerobic exercise such as jogging, brisk walking, swimming etc… burns calories whenever we are doing it. But, beyond aerobics, when you develop and maintained lean muscle mass through resistance exercise, the new active muscle fibers consume calories 24 hours a day, just to maintain themselves. You will even BURN YOUR FAT, even EVEN WHEN YOU ARE SLEEPING !(Hey..no kidding..it really works!!!  ;))
Well, those gadgets which only focus on specific part of your body are not recommended. Not worth it as it has no cardio benefit. Anyway, it depends, cause the choice is yours :)

Guys listen to this...hehehe.  
Our new teacher is in the forum .....welcome  ;)
putradiver

Topic author

Post Number:#33  Postby e8ena_2 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 am

Upppsss..sowy..forgot that I'm new here, let me c...was introduced by someone around here ;)... kindda fond of fitness as well as water activities...wanna explore something different so I decided to venture into diving...pure beginner !!!!  ;D
e8ena_2

Topic author

Post Number:#34  Postby bijan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:31 am

Mermaid..u can introduce urself at the INTRODUCTION section at the link i posted below

http://malaysianunderwater.com/Forums/Y ... d=General3

just "start a new topic"
bijan

Topic author

Post Number:#35  Postby mephisto » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:38 pm

Upppsss..sowy..forgot that I'm new here, let me c...was introduced by someone around here ;)... kindda fond of fitness as well as water activities...wanna explore something different so I decided to venture into diving...pure beginner !!!!  ;D

come...lets go to the pool.....we have much fun there as going diving...please PM our Master Pool Diver Mr Ironore for futher details.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#36  Postby divedoc » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:45 am

We have more than 400 muscles in our body that we use everyday. Thus, there are a few muscles that are under our control; shoulders, upper arms, chest, back waist, thighs and calves. If these muscles were used and maintained consistently, they will remain firm, flexible and well-balanced throughout your life.
Many of us seem to have accepted the “fact” that we have to fight a battle against waistline flab. However, to remain slim and fit we have to look past our abdomen to the other core muscles in our body.
Aerobic exercise such as jogging, brisk walking, swimming etc… burns calories whenever we are doing it. But, beyond aerobics, when you develop and maintained lean muscle mass through resistance exercise, the new active muscle fibers consume calories 24 hours a day, just to maintain themselves. You will even BURN YOUR FAT, even EVEN WHEN YOU ARE SLEEPING !(Hey..no kidding..it really works!!!  ;))
Well, those gadgets which only focus on specific part of your body are not recommended. Not worth it as it has no cardio benefit. Anyway, it depends, cause the choice is yours :)

I think the issue here is whether BMI is accurate as a health indicator or not. Whatever muscles we are using, regardless if its aerobic activity or anaerobic activity, both have an impact on our BMI.

Mermaid_In_the_C, your post is very educational for everyone here, but it'll be more beneficial if you had posted it in the "Keeping Fit" thread in the Dive Medicine and Fitness link...strayed a bit from the topic,mind u, hehehe...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#37  Postby e8ena_2 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:11 pm

I think the issue here is whether BMI is accurate as a health indicator or not. Whatever muscles we are using, regardless if its aerobic activity or anaerobic activity, both have an impact on our BMI.

Mermaid_In_the_C, your post is very educational for everyone here, but it'll be more beneficial if you had posted it in the "Keeping Fit" thread in the Dive Medicine and Fitness link...strayed a bit from the topic,mind u, hehehe...

Well noted Doc... ;)I'm actually referring to  HoleMaster  question ‘bout the 'U-ZAP' thing!!!..just giving the basic idea...Ahaks...forgot  to apply the quote..Huhu..apologize this little newbie  ;D
e8ena_2

Topic author

Post Number:#38  Postby zzz » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm

The BMI is just a guide to say whether you're underweight or overweight. It's useful in normally built person.

As you pointed out Sea Daemon... if you're all bulk (i.e full of muscle) the BMI would falsely indicate that you're OBESE.

The accuracy of BMI can be correlated with body fat measurement but it is not easy to measure... must use calipers to estimate fat at excessive folds.. did this a a med student but cannot remember la now..

What I suggest is everyone should do annual health checkups which consists of physical examination by a doctor (including blood pressure monitoring etc) and blood investigation to check their blood sugar level, cholestrol level, renal profile and whatever deemed necessary by your GP.

The cholestrol level nowadays is essential... many young lean persons may have a satisfactory BMI but cholestrol is sky high due to the ever 'healthy' malaysian mamak stall diet.

So I guess the take home message is... use it as a guide (esp if you're of normal built)  but don't forget the ANNUAL CHECKUPs.. Put that on your to do list
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#39  Postby divedoc » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:08 pm

...the take home message is... use it as a guide (esp if you're of normal built)  but don't forget the ANNUAL CHECKUPs.. Put that on your to do list

I hope this previous post by zzz has cleared everyone's mind on BMI. Like i said earlier, unless you're a nomally-built person, BMI can be misleading...

The most important is doing annual health check-up which consists of routine history-taking and physical examination, a barrage of blood tests, electrocardiography, stress test (if needed), simple blood pressure monitoring and blood sugar monitoring and so on and so forth...And nothing beats a peace of mind knowing that you are actually fine and healthy, instead of worrying too much on your BMI.
divedoc

Topic author

Previous

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness