MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Post Number:#1  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:28 pm

Body Mass Index is a big thing amongst health-crazed people, and employers who are bent on not giving you a raise or promotion etc.  Basically it tells you if you are overweight or not by simply calculating the ratio of your height^2 versus weight.

Is that an accurate way to say whether one is underweight or overweight/obese? Muscle mass is heavier than fat. If you are big, and muscular, heart rate of 60bpm, and you can run 10km non-stop in one go, but with a body that looks like Sammo Hung, then immediately your BMI will shoot over 30...and that will tell people that you're already extremely overweight. But if you are as slim as Bijan, but have more fat than muscle mass, you'll probably get a BMI of 19.

BMI was an easy way, cooked up by insurance companies in the US, so that they get to charge people with higher BMI, higher premiums.  But people all over the world quickly took this method as the simplest way to say whether one is fit or not. A more accurate way to say whether one is fat or not is by doing fitness tests like the PULHEEMS that the military has adopted from the British Army system and body fat measurement. But to do that means spending more time, which the insurance companies cannot afford to waste.

It would be good to have a lean looking body. But I think that BMI is quite inaccurate, and that fitness test and body fat measurement is a better way to way whether one is fit or fat.

What do you think, docs and forumers?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Re: Body Mass Index - Accurate Or Not?

Post Number:#2  Postby timyang » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:50 pm

BMI is only one of many ways of gauging health and should never be accepted in isolation from other gauges. As you have rightly pointed out, there are other ways of measuring fitness.

I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of body fat index too.
timyang

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 pm

Actually there is:

Male Body Fat Percentages:

2%-5%: Essential Body Fat
6%-10%: Athletes/Body Builders
11%-19%: Average Healthy Male
20%-23%: Borderline
24% Plus: Overfat
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby deepblu » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:37 pm

i would think that a body fat index is a little more accurate than body mass index.

i had an ex colleague who i called "twiggy" as she was super slim.

However, she had a body fat index measuring more than 30% - yes, she almost burst to tears when the doc told her that.  :o
Last edited by deepblu on Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby anas » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:10 pm

Actually there is:

Male Body Fat Percentages:

2%-5%: Essential Body Fat
6%-10%: Athletes/Body Builders
11%-19%: Average Healthy Male
20%-23%: Borderline
24% Plus: Overfat

From border line jumps terus to overfat? is there fat, first?
anas

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby mocha » Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:29 pm

Body Mass Index is a big thing amongst health-crazed people, and employers who are bent on not giving you a raise or promotion etc.  Basically it tells you if you are overweight or not by simply calculating the ratio of your height^2 versus weight.

well, the magic number in the m'san army is 26.9... ;D ;D
mocha

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby mephisto » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Have to agree with SD on the first posting. BMI does not really tell the real story. you may use it as a rule of thumb.

Have to agree with the principles behind pulheems. or nak lagi senang....just look in the mirror... the mirror can tell you a lot more about your self than bmi....heh.

- a layman point of view
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby deepblu » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:35 pm

or nak lagi senang....just look in the mirror... the mirror can tell you a lot more about your self than bmi....heh.

provided the mirror did not come from a circus la.. nanti lagi kurus pun ada, lagi bulat pun ada... ;)
deepblu

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby zimm » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:12 pm

i once read this article........it says........."its not the jeans that make ur ass looks big, its the fat........." :-? so how can u make the fat turn into lean meat...... :( i guess its all man/woman problem....... :'(
Last edited by zimm on Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby mephisto » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:37 pm

yeah...woman with their ass.....man with their perut......the answer is....you have to work it laa....but for all the women out there.....rollerblading is a good work out to achive that pert ass and nice hips...fo guys......well..perut aku tak turun turun jugak ni..cammana ahhh?

i once read this article........it says........."its not the jeans that make ur ass looks big, its the fat........." :-? so how can u make the fat turn into lean meat...... :( i guess its all man/woman problem....... :'(
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby zimm » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:03 pm

quote author=mephisto link=1172496503/0#9 date=1172565449]yeah...woman with their ass.....man with their perut......the answer is....you have to work it laa....but for all the women out there.....rollerblading is a good work out to achive that pert ass and nice hips...fo guys......well..perut aku tak turun turun jugak ni..cammana ahhh?

i wonder if diving can make u loose that fat.....wit all the dives+mkn+sleep (fav do's during dive trip).........how can this activities help you & ur fat problems....can bring rollerblade to redang or not :D
zimm

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby najibest » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:50 pm

quote author=mephisto link=1172496503/0#9 date=1172565449]yeah...woman with their ass.....man with their perut......the answer is....you have to work it laa....but for all the women out there.....rollerblading is a good work out to achive that pert ass and nice hips...fo guys......well..perut aku tak turun turun jugak ni..cammana ahhh?

i wonder if diving can make u loose that fat.....wit all the dives+mkn+sleep (fav do's during dive trip).........how can this activities help you & ur fat problems....can bring rollerblade to redang or not :D

jom pi rollerblade kat taman metropolitan kepong heh...
najibest

Topic author

Post Number:#13  Postby Jim » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Diving makes you feel hungry. If dont carefull what you eat you shall put on weight easily. Tambah lak you sleep soon afterwords, makes all the effort to burn calories goes down the drain...

For me nowdays, do little bit of exercise & WATCH what i eat... Occasional binge i think is ok. But dont over do it......

Pian...perut dah naik susah nak turun oooooo
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#14  Postby mephisto » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:54 pm

Diving makes you feel hungry. If dont carefull what you eat you shall put on weight easily. Tambah lak you sleep soon afterwords, makes all the effort to burn calories goes down the drain...

For me nowdays, do little bit of exercise & WATCH what i eat... Occasional binge i think is ok. But dont over do it......

Pian...perut dah naik susah nak turun oooooo

ohhh....main input/output punya teknik yee jim....

cammna ni...sape tau teknik yang bagus nak kasi cantik itu perut....nak jugak abs macam mamats dalam iklan speedo.
Last edited by mephisto on Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#15  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:32 am

aku pun nak belajar kecut kan perut. btw that Osim thingy "u-Zap" bagus ka?
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#16  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:15 am

Bai, kena guna benda panas kalau nak kasi pecah lemak. Aku recommend free-flow JD Coke plus 8 shots of Tequilla. Lepas tu sebelum tidur bantai sebotol Bordeaux rouge.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#17  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:02 am

Bai, kena guna benda panas kalau nak kasi pecah lemak. Aku recommend free-flow JD Coke plus 8 shots of Tequilla. Lepas tu sebelum tidur bantai sebotol Bordeaux rouge.

Wei itu bukan setakat kecut perut bai...itu boleh kecut otak siut....OD bai
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#18  Postby divedoc » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:23 pm

SeaDemon,
BMI is actually one of the methods for gauging one's physical fitness, and i mean one of, not the ONLY method. I agree that measuring BMI is not a god indocator of one's health, especially when one is of muscular-built. It is a known-fact that muscle mass is heavier than fat.  In order for us to gauge one's physical health, we should correlate BMI with body fat percentage as well as skin-fold thickness measurements. Skin-fold thickness is measured at the arms, the abs, the thighs etc...

To label someone with a BMI > 30 as obese is an injustice if he/she is muscular-built, but let's face it...how many of us are actually THAT WELL-BUILT?? Unless u are into bodybuilding, u do not need a BMI measurement >30 to have a lean looking body.That's why American Colege of Cardiology produced a guideline stating that an individual is not only at high risk of developing cardiovascular/metabolic disease if he/she has a high BMI, but also if he/she has a high waist-to-hip ratio. (optimally Men <0.9, Women <0.8 to be at low-risk). This should be a good indicator to gauge our physical health.

BTW, we in the military still use BMI as the indicator of physical fitness. Although we do have the twice-yearly UKA's for physical test, possesing a BMI >26.9 (all three services) hinders u from getting promoted to a higher rank, and  going for courses.

Well, that's my opinion for this topic...Hope to get more input from u guys out there...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#19  Postby SeaDemon » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:48 pm

let's face it...how many of us are actually THAT WELL-BUILT?? ...

I say, Doc. Don't say like that la...Holemaster will be hurt. He's very well built. Whenever he gets an erection he will faint.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#20  Postby HoleMaster » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:33 pm

I say, Doc. Don't say like that la...Holemaster will be hurt. He's very well built. Whenever he gets an erection he will faint.

well built? dont think so...perot buncit camne bak cover bai?
HoleMaster

Topic author

Post Number:#21  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:05 am

well built? dont think so...perot buncit camne bak cover bai?

I wasn't talking about the perut that made you faint  ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#22  Postby mephisto » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Susah jugak jadi stud ni yee.....ecxited sikit aje pengsan..heh...Dive Doc...how can we help kawan kita sorang ni?
Last edited by mephisto on Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mephisto

Topic author

Post Number:#23  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:37 pm

Susah jugak jadi stud ni yee.....ecxited sikit aje pengsan..heh...Dive Doc...how can we help kawan kita sorang ni?

Kena buat reservoir macam kereta punya radiator lepas tu sangkut macam IV drip. Tapi dalam tu letak darah aje. He faints not because he's shocked, but because there's not enough blood for him to share with it  ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#24  Postby divedoc » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:10 pm

but let's face it...how many of us are actually THAT WELL-BUILT??

Alamak guys, sori la kalau ada yg offended, but i meant it in general, meaning Malaysians in general...what with the obesity issues and all. Dah le tu, Ministry of Health lak propose to ban fast-food ads, which in a way, could help in curbing those with fast-food binges...

But seriously, how many of us are actually into body-building sampai badan berketul2?? Ask urself that and u know what i actually meant...  
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#25  Postby SeaDemon » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Holemaster, only that part is well-built, as he had confessed about his tummy. That part, Doc, I tell you la..that's how we always get fresh fish during LOB trip. All we had to do was ask him to attach line, hook and sinker to it. Even female Whale Sharks swam nearby without fearing the propeller of the vessel.

I was into working with weights la zaman service dulu...and as Kol Khalil TUDM, who was my CI from PASKAU used to tell me how I ran like a horse. What spoiled the whole thing was when I fractured my left foot metatarsal after a parachuting accident (brake-line snapped after deployment)...so couldn't jog at all for a year. After I recovered, I was asked to test some new chutes. When I pulled the brake lines upon landing, the chute didn't flare, it just went straight, my right foot caught a brick wall, I fell onto a passing lorry, and bounced of it onto a moving Wira..then fell standing. I dislocated ALL my right toes and badly sprained my ankle.

Of course the Big Macs played some role too  ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#26  Postby divedoc » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:39 pm

...Of course the Big Macs played some role too  ;D

That's the part yg i nak dengar actually, heheheh...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#27  Postby divedoc » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:12 pm

But SeaDemon, on a serious note, it is soooo common to hear those who are involved into active lifestyle (e.g physical activities, sports...) and  when they get injured, their BMI is sure to escalate after some time. Reason being: advised by doctor not to further aggravate injuries by involving in physical activities.

Diving is also a physical activity. However, u don't hear people saying that they can lose weight easily by diving...why is this so?

SeaDemon, please share your views and enlighten our MUWians as to why we don't lose weight during dive trips...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#28  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:51 pm

...Of course the Big Macs played some role too  ;D

That's the part yg i nak dengar actually, heheheh...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#29  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:02 pm

But SeaDemon, on a serious note, it is soooo common to hear those who are involved into active lifestyle (e.g physical activities, sports...) and  when they get injured, their BMI is sure to escalate after some time. Reason being: advised by doctor not to further aggravate injuries by involving in physical activities.

Diving is also a physical activity. However, u don't hear people saying that they can lose weight easily by diving...why is this so?

SeaDemon, please share your views and enlighten our MUWians as to why we don't lose weight during dive trips...

The statement in red is so true. Instead what the doctor should have advised was for people like me to do other weight trainings that do not involve the use of the feet...anyway, why don't we lose weight when diving?

Simple: we eat a lot during dive trips. Ambient temperature when diving (day dives) is almost always colder than on the surface. After a while, we will feel cold.  When we feel cold, metabolism kicks in..we start burning fat. The body heats up, so we urinate to regulate our body temperature. The urine warms up the wetsuit for a while, but in actual fact it reduces the body temperature after that too. The process repeats...maybe we will urinate more frequent the longer we stay down there.

We surface, the first thing we feel is thirst, as body fluids filled with urea have gone to destroy some coral patches below. Then we feel hungry because of the marginally-accelerated metabolism. We go back, shower, and whack food..especially the high-carbo ones like rice, accompanied by nice cold water/syrup and/or gassy drinks (add sugar).

Then we go for night dive, come back and feel hungry again. We whack more food. And because of all the daytime activities, added with the night dive, we tire easily, and sleep while the stomach is still trying to digest the meat and rice that we had.

Can accept or not?
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#30  Postby e8ena_2 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:33 pm

We have more than 400 muscles in our body that we use everyday. Thus, there are a few muscles that are under our control; shoulders, upper arms, chest, back waist, thighs and calves. If these muscles were used and maintained consistently, they will remain firm, flexible and well-balanced throughout your life.
Many of us seem to have accepted the “fact” that we have to fight a battle against waistline flab. However, to remain slim and fit we have to look past our abdomen to the other core muscles in our body.
Aerobic exercise such as jogging, brisk walking, swimming etc… burns calories whenever we are doing it. But, beyond aerobics, when you develop and maintained lean muscle mass through resistance exercise, the new active muscle fibers consume calories 24 hours a day, just to maintain themselves. You will even BURN YOUR FAT, even EVEN WHEN YOU ARE SLEEPING !(Hey..no kidding..it really works!!!  ;))
Well, those gadgets which only focus on specific part of your body are not recommended. Not worth it as it has no cardio benefit. Anyway, it depends, cause the choice is yours :)
e8ena_2

Topic author

Next

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness