MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - G6PD Deficiency and Scuba Diving

G6PD Deficiency and Scuba Diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

G6PD Deficiency and Scuba Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:45 pm

G6PD deficiency seems to be quite common among Malaysian children. What effects does G6PD deficiency have on scuba diving?
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Re: G6PD Deficiency and Scuba Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby orcastyl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:03 am

Well...G6PD mostly (or would i say exclusively) involved males, so for the female (mainly carriers) divers..no problem at all. The concern with G6PD is mainly due to oxidative stress with its sequelae haemolysis of red blood cells and can be precipitated by many factors of which some includes taking anti-malaria medications, eating FAVA (broad, kacang parang) beans etc. As long as medications prescribed by the doctor are not contraindicated or if not having severe infection at the time of diving (well likelyhood that you wouldnt dive if thats the case) i do not see any restrictions.

And it does not only affect children but is lifelong once inherited but usually diagnosed during childhood.

Wearing a SOS information tag may be useful in those whom are affected by the condition in order for early recognition in any emergency situation.

Hope this helps...

cheers..
Last edited by orcastyl on Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
orcastyl
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:19 am

Hahahaha...I remember those days when my instructors would make us chew on those anti-malarial drugs just for fun..like for failing Q time sessions. Maybe Divedoc can check and see if any recruit or officer cadet or graduate officers undergoing Y.O course have suddenly turned anaemic and peeing brown fluid. ;D
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby divedoc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:21 am

Well...G6PD mostly (or would i say exclusively) involved males, so for the female (mainly carriers) divers..no problem at all. The concern with G6PD is mainly due to oxidative stress with its sequelae haemolysis of red blood cells and can be precipitated by many factors of which some includes taking anti-malaria medications, eating FAVA (broad, kacang parang) beans etc. As long as medications prescribed by the doctor are not contraindicated or if not having severe infection at the time of diving (well likelyhood that you wouldnt dive if thats the case) i do not see any restrictions.

And it does not only affect children but is lifelong once inherited but usually diagnosed during childhood.

Wearing a SOS information tag may be useful in those whom are affected by the condition in order for early recognition in any emergency situation.

Hope this helps...

cheers..

I would agree with orcastyl. G6PD deficiency is exclusively a male-inherited disorder. I have never heard of any females getting G6PD deficiency. It is usually diagnosed at birth, when after delivery, the cord blood is taken for the G6PD test.

For parents whose children have G6PD-deficiency, they are well-versed on the types of food or medications and they have on list on the types of medications or food that is prohibited for their children.

In G6PD deficiency, the haemolysis of red bood cells in the body is not enhanced with increased pressure. Hence I do not see any reason why anyone with G6PD deficiency be restricted from diving.
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:24 am

Hmm...my 12-year old daughter was diagnosed as having G6PD deficiency post-natal. Yup..that extremely looooooooooooong list is with me.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby orcastyl » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:14 am

SeaDemon, although the condition is exclusively involving males...what happens is sometimes there is a process what we call lyonisation when one of the X chromosome is inactivated by the other...so in that case then the condition would become apparent...as in the case with your daughter. But just check and make sure what is told is really G6PD or simply a carrier for it.

cheers
orcastyl
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:18 am

She had history of prolonged neo-natal jaundice...so the doctor gave me the long list and lecture  ;)
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby divedoc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:33 am

SeaDemon, although the condition is exclusively involving males...what happens is sometimes there is a process what we call lyonisation when one of the X chromosome is inactivated by the other...so in that case then the condition would become apparent...as in the case with your daughter. But just check and make sure what is told is really G6PD or simply a carrier for it.

cheers

SeaDemon,

FYI, these are the facts on G6PD deficiency:
1) G-6-PD deficiency is an X-linked inherited disease that primarily affects men.
2) Homozygous women are found in populations in which the frequency of G-6-PD deficiency is quite high.
3) Heterozygous (carrier) women can develop hemolytic attacks.

Deterrence/Prevention:
1) Avoid oxidant drugs such as the antimalarial drugs primaquine, chloroquine, pamaquine, and pentaquine.
2) Avoid nitrofurantoin.
3) Avoid nalidixic acid, ciprofloxacin niridazole, norfloxacin, methylene blue, chloramphenicol, phenazopyridine, and   vitamin K analogs.
4) Avoid sulfonamides such as sulfanilamide, sulfamethoxypyridazine, sulfacetamide, sulfadimidine, sulfapyridine, sulfamerazine, and sulfamethoxazole.
5) Avoid exposure to certain chemicals such as those in mothballs.
6) The following substances should also be avoided in G-6-PD deficiency:
   - Acetanilid
   - Doxorubicin
   - Isobutyl nitrite
   - Naphthalene
   - Phenylhydrazine
   - Pyridium

Complications:
1) Severe neonatal jaundice can result in kernicterus.

Prognosis:
1) Most individuals with G-6-PD deficiency do not need treatment.

Patient Education:
1) Teach patients with G-6-PD deficiency to avoid drugs and chemical exposures that can cause hemolytic anemia.

Medical/Legal Pitfalls:
1) Avoid prescribing medications that can cause hemolytic anemia.

Special Concerns:
1) Neonatal jaundice associated with G-6-PD deficiency can have life-threatening consequences.
2) Certain variants of G-6-PD deficiency can be life threatening following exposure to oxidant drugs.

Hope that helps u in any way...
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#9  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:51 am

Thanks Doc. So what I do now is whenever I take her to a clinic, I always bring along a red marker in case i have to write "G6PD Deficiency" on her docket.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby divedoc » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:43 am

Thanks Doc. So what I do now is whenever I take her to a clinic, I always bring along a red marker in case i have to write "G6PD Deficiency" on her docket.

Not just that, u have to remond the doctor too that your daughter has G6PD-deficiency. Otherwise, they might prescribe meds which is unsuitable for her...
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#11  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:05 am

Not just that, u have to remond the doctor too that your daughter has G6PD-deficiency. Otherwise, they might prescribe meds which is unsuitable for her...

Roger that doc. I'll make it a habit to inform the doctor. So I am reminding you now too  ;D
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#12  Postby divedoc » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:29 pm

Roger that, SeaDemon...i'll remember that. BTW, whenever u bring ur daughter to any clinic or hospital, please bring along the LIST. It's not easy for us to remember ubat2an yg tak boleh diprescribe tu, banyak weh!!
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#13  Postby bobo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:40 pm

errr... ignore all the chemical names  :-/, just wanna know, any way that this G6PD deficiency will go away after the child grow up..???
bobo

Post Number:#14  Postby SeaDemon » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:25 am

errr... ignore all the chemical names  :-/, just wanna know, any way that this G6PD deficiency will go away after the child grow up..???

G6PD deficiency is something you carry for life
SeaDemon

Post Number:#15  Postby divedoc » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:28 pm

Bobo, G6PD deficiency is an inherited disorder. Therefore, it will not go away even as you age...if u wanna change your genes, then ok lah!!!
divedoc

Post Number:#16  Postby SeaDemon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:08 am

Bobo, G6PD deficiency is an inherited disorder. Therefore, it will not go away even as you age...if u wanna change your genes, then ok lah!!!

Yeah, become an X-man ;D
SeaDemon

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness