MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Post Natal Divers

Post Natal Divers

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Post Natal Divers

Post Number:#1  Postby nazimkecik » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi DiveDoc, gotta a question..what is the recommended time frame for a post natal diver to start diving again?..and how gradually should she start diving in terms of depth?..and is there any difference if the delivery was normal or ceasarian..thanks!..
nazimkecik

Topic author

Re: Post Natal Divers

Post Number:#2  Postby zzz » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi... It got me curious when I saw your post coz I never thought of it...so I did some researching.... Anyway, I usually go to scuba.doc for any medical info...so this is what they wrote:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/womdiv.html#Postpartum

After vaginal delivery, diving can be resumed after released by the obstetrician. This is usually after the cervix closes, about 21 days.   In another week, most muscle tone has returned, depending upon the level of activity of the mother. Barring any pregnancy related complications, such as anemia and poorly healed episiotomy   return to diving is usually advised at 4 weeks.

Most obstetricians advise a wait of 4-6 weeks before returning to full activity after caesarian delivery. Couple this with the need for conditioning, complete wound healing and the possibility of need for blood regeneration - a period of 8 weeks would be advised before diving. A post partum hemoglobin determination should be performed and anything below 10 Gm Hgb should be corrected before allowing diving.

Multiple births, medically complicated pregnancies with underlying medical conditions, complications of both vaginal and caesarian births all have to be individually assessed in the decision as to approval for return to diving

Guess that answers your question.

Happy diving!!!
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#3  Postby SeaDemon » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:15 pm

Kalau Jawa pantang 100 days. But I'd agree with Scubadoc's article up there. The 40 days confinement should be a bare minimum.
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby nazimkecik » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:01 am

thanks a lot zzz! i think this information is very useful especially to mothers who are divers and partners who are divers. Makes it easier to plan for trips to help counter post natal depressions  :), would still love to get a second opinion from divedoc. Thx!

Hi... It got me curious when I saw your post coz I never thought of it...so I did some researching.... Anyway, I usually go to scuba.doc for any medical info...so this is what they wrote:

http://www.scuba-doc.com/womdiv.html#Postpartum

After vaginal delivery, diving can be resumed after released by the obstetrician. This is usually after the cervix closes, about 21 days.   In another week, most muscle tone has returned, depending upon the level of activity of the mother. Barring any pregnancy related complications, such as anemia and poorly healed episiotomy   return to diving is usually advised at 4 weeks.

Most obstetricians advise a wait of 4-6 weeks before returning to full activity after caesarian delivery. Couple this with the need for conditioning, complete wound healing and the possibility of need for blood regeneration - a period of 8 weeks would be advised before diving. A post partum hemoglobin determination should be performed and anything below 10 Gm Hgb should be corrected before allowing diving.

Multiple births, medically complicated pregnancies with underlying medical conditions, complications of both vaginal and caesarian births all have to be individually assessed in the decision as to approval for return to diving

Guess that answers your question.

Happy diving!!!
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#5  Postby Jim » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:33 am

Profesional advise from doctors are good. But your partner herself must also be honest whether she's physically & mentally ready to dive or not. At times we forget to ask our own body.....
Jim

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby nazimkecik » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:42 am

I agree  :)

Profesional advise from doctors are good. But your partner herself must also be honest whether she's physically & mentally ready to dive or not. At times we forget to ask our own body.....
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#7  Postby divedoc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:05 pm

Sorry guys, lambat reply...tgk2 dah ada orang yg jawabkan. Mcm ni i kena gulung tikar la, sebab dah ada Scubadoc.com, hahaha...

BTW, I agree with Scubadoc's article. Diving after delivery should be permitted four weeks after vaginal delivery. This is because to allow the cervix to close, to prevent from ascending infection occuring. I think i have answered this question in my post dlm topic "Pregnant diver". In Caesarean deliveries, one has to wait for at least 8-12 weeks to prevent from the breakdown of the abdominal wound from infection.

Hope that answers ur question, nazimkecik...
divedoc

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby nazimkecik » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:19 am

ok divedoc many thanks!  ;)

Sorry guys, lambat reply...tgk2 dah ada orang yg jawabkan. Mcm ni i kena gulung tikar la, sebab dah ada Scubadoc.com, hahaha...

BTW, I agree with Scubadoc's article. Diving after delivery should be permitted four weeks after vaginal delivery. This is because to allow the cervix to close, to prevent from ascending infection occuring. I think i have answered this question in my post dlm topic "Pregnant diver". In Caesarean deliveries, one has to wait for at least 8-12 weeks to prevent from the breakdown of the abdominal wound from infection.

Hope that answers ur question, nazimkecik...
nazimkecik

Topic author

Post Number:#9  Postby SeaDemon » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:49 am

Nazimkecik, maybe you should ask if after 3 days can loosen the stitches just to lepas geram... ;D
SeaDemon

Topic author

Post Number:#10  Postby zzz » Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:30 pm

alamak...sorila divedoc didn't meant to buat u tutup kedai.... ;)
zzz

Topic author

Post Number:#11  Postby divedoc » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:29 pm

alamak...sorila divedoc didn't meant to buat u tutup kedai.... ;)

No lah, zzz...Just joking jerr. It's good to know that some of u know where to look for pertinent health issues concerning diving. Since this is a forum, it's a channel where we can share knowledge as well, i mean, everyone's here to learn, including myself. So, keep me posted, alrite!
divedoc

Topic author

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness