MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Decompression chamber for recreational divers, can you build one?

Decompression chamber for recreational divers, can you build one?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Decompression chamber for recreational divers, can you build one?

Post Number:#1  Postby xr250dude » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:10 am

I was just wondering if anyone has specifications for a decompression chamber good enough for rec divers, even better if someone has actually built one, apart from the military. Also, where could I get the recompression/decompression protocols for DCS? I would have reckoned that DCS like any illness would largely be asymptomatic and that symptomatic DCS type I and II would be like the tip of an iceberg.

Say lah ... Use a pressure vessel large enough for a person/s that can take a max 4 bar. Pipe it with medical gasses, air and/or even O2 at 4 bar, thats the usual post 1st stage pressure for medically supplied gasses. A pressure controller to regulate input pressure along the way. A recirculating sodalime CO2 scrubbing device in the chamber much like what an aneasthetist would use. Monitoring equipment for the environment and physiological monitor for the "client".
xr250dude
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Decompression chamber for recreational divers, can you build one?

Post Number:#2  Postby nanda666 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 am

I saw on TV recently(Globetrekkers or something) and the host, Ian Wright, was put into this "inflatable" tube which could be pressurised and acted as a hyperbaric chamber for 1 person.

Not sure if it's commercially available...will check and revert. 
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#3  Postby nanda666 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:02 pm

something like this!!
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 5

Post Number:#4  Postby Scuba Dynamics » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:05 pm

This is a version of an inflatable, one man, emergency chamber and has been available on the market for some time now and although it works to a certain degree, there are limitations of course.
**Dive Anytime, Anywhere**
Scuba Dynamics
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Location: 32-2, Jalan 27/70A, Desa Sri Hartamas, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Post Number:#5  Postby xr250dude » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:13 pm

I think that is more for home O2 treatment. Can only presurise till 0.3 bar above atmospheric pressure.
xr250dude
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby IkanBilis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Maybe can stuff a guy in a large Pelican Case, and put in pressure to 4bar.  :D :D

Seriously, what is the condition of the container to sustain 4 bar pressure, must it be a steel container? The other concerns need to think of, how to switch air and how to ensure that it is delivered at such pressure? A slight mistake or miscalculation could kill the patient. The system has to be foolproof, and the supporting equipment must be small enough to be transported with the patient to a hyperbaric chamber, and transfered safely into the chamber.
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#7  Postby xr250dude » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:06 pm

I suspect not much, if we are talking 4 bar, normal water heater copper piping should suffice or even ABS piping. The copper piping used by MOX to transmit medical gasses around a hospital at 4 bar is much the same except the copper purity is a lot higher, more for quality. Likewise in dialysis units, the working pressure 30-40psi, RO water would be channeled around in ABS piping, failure usually at joints and seams or a poor weld. Steel or aluminum would be comforting though. Look at your typical Ikelite/Marine pack, its plastic, weakest point the O rings. Certainly the pressure vessel and pressure control would be the challenge. I think the CO2 scrub, monitoring equipment would not be difficult to configure based on existing equipment. Think ambulance, self contained equipment in a motorised hull.

If the patient dies, blame it on the bends  ;)
xr250dude
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby Snafu » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:11 pm

Yes U can build 1....light weight(Alum), Cheap(Mild Steel)...etc.

Good luck with the design spec.

Let me know if you need help with it.

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#9  Postby joe » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 am

xr250dude wrote:I suspect not much, if we are talking 4 bar, normal water heater copper piping should suffice or even ABS piping. The copper piping used by MOX to transmit medical gasses around a hospital at 4 bar is much the same except the copper purity is a lot higher, more for quality. Likewise in dialysis units, the working pressure 30-40psi, RO water would be channeled around in ABS piping, failure usually at joints and seams or a poor weld. Steel or aluminum would be comforting though. Look at your typical Ikelite/Marine pack, its plastic, weakest point the O rings. Certainly the pressure vessel and pressure control would be the challenge. I think the CO2 scrub, monitoring equipment would not be difficult to configure based on existing equipment. Think ambulance, self contained equipment in a motorised hull.

If the patient dies, blame it on the bends  ;)

well, to design the chamber, plastics (Polycarbonate) as used by ikelite should be enough but not necessary cheap as the manufacturing process will be high even though the seal design (O ring) can be improved.it resemble ikelite casing price :P. plus PC is to be inert at room temp. steel or aluminum too will cost in term of material & manufacturing processes. To date, composite like fiber glass (continuous fiber winding) or other plastic matrix composite is preferable on high pressure application (e-g piping elbow for reinforcement-as stress concerntration)  and yet cheaper to produce for such small volume product. last not least. the design approach itself is the most important though.can use FEA to prove. cheers  ;)
by joetahir
joe
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#10  Postby amirulhamzah » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:54 pm

nanda666 wrote:Image

something like this!!

most inflatable chamber can only give pressure to about 1.3ata (around 4psig), which is NOT to be used as a therapeutic device. The construction of these 'soft-chambers' do not allow usage with 100% O2 (usually they use concentrator). Hence, pressure wise, it's NOT sufficient to treat diving injuries; construction wise, it's NOT safe with 100% O2. Be careful, u may use it for high altitude training but certainly NOT for diving injuries.

But to build a chamber yourself, at your backyard?... hmm, some people have done it in the US, a couple of these chambers explode or get into fire; with patient inside. Well, i wouldn't want to be in these chamber. i don't supposed you'd like too,eh..?

You can get a simple hyperbaric chamber design on the web, with steel thickness, welding specs, door & hull design. In fact, it's the same standard and specification with any unfired pressure vessel (as what our 'DOSH' refer to the hyperbaric chamber). There's quite a lot of manufacturer in M'sia that can build a pressure vessel. It's just that you have to help DOSH to figure out a local standard to accept the chamber which is equivalent to ASME, DNV, Lloyd's of London etc.

Well, just to share.... Anyways, it's my first post. Hello everyone, I'm Amir from the KL Hyperbaric Center @ www.healingchambers.com.my
amirulhamzah
Diver
Diver

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness