MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Renal Problems and Diving

Renal Problems and Diving

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Renal Problems and Diving

Post Number:#1  Postby John F SeaDemon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:41 pm

I remember back in the 1980s reading about the adverse effects diving may have on divers who have or have had renal problems.  I often wonder how true it is.

For example, someone who, as a kid, suffered from Acute Glomerulonephritis, but has recovered and has had no complications ever since, what kind of effects, if any, would it have on the diver?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Re: Renal Problems and Diving

Post Number:#2  Postby Nazir Amin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:44 pm

:-?
Acute Glomerulonephritis

Too complicated for me..  :-/
Seekor anak kera bertanya ke ibunya, “Bu, knapa ya wajah kita begitu jelek?”
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:18 am

:-?
Acute Glomerulonephritis

Too complicated for me..  :-/

Itu tapis dalam kidney daaa....sakit...
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby MagicLamp » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:41 am

ahhhh  :-?
MagicLamp
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#5  Postby divedoc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:43 pm

I remember back in the 1980s reading about the adverse effects diving may have on divers who have or have had renal problems.  I often wonder how true it is?

Seems a bit wierd to me that patients who have or have had renal problems having adverse effects after diving. Can you quote from where you read this? This is because in most diving medicine books, the authors usually mention diseases or problems in body organs most commonly affected by diving, e.g lungs, ears, intestines, sinuses...rarely have i read about renal problems. But it's a good thing you asked, so i'll be sure to check on it...
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#6  Postby divedoc » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:10 pm

...For example, someone who, as a kid, suffered from Acute Glomerulonephritis, but has recovered and has had no complications ever since, what kind of effects, if any, would it have on the diver?

I would think someone, who as a kid suffered from Acute Glomerulonephritis and has fully recovered, would have no effects if he dives. Infection in the urinary tract does not predipose someone to a higher risk of diving illnesses, but if the disease is acute, and AT THAT PARTICULAR TIME this bloke chooses to dive, then the pain might be misconstrued to be DCS type of pain (abdominal pain..)

However, renal problems, for example renal failure can pose a serious problem in diving...Our kidneys act a filters, and when the kidneys are damaged by some systemic disease process, its ability to filter diminishes and products of metabolism such as creatinine and urea remains circulated in the bloodstream. When this happens, alteration in consciousness level and reduction in underwater skills occur, thus endangering the diver...

Hope that answers your question.
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby John F SeaDemon » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 am

Thanks Doc. It was ages ago that I read that, possibly in the early 80s when I first got into diving, and someone who's had some renal problem but had had no complications since wanted to know if he could dive. So let's just regard this as a 25-year question.
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby MagicLamp » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:52 am

Thanks Doc. It was ages ago that I read that, possibly in the early 80s when I first got into diving, and someone who's had some renal problem but had had no complications since wanted to know if he could dive. So let's just regard this as a 25-year question.

but useful...
MagicLamp
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness