MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Clarityne/Clarinese + Nouvomin

Clarityne/Clarinese + Nouvomin

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Clarityne/Clarinese + Nouvomin

Post Number:#1  Postby Bear Diver » Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 am

Hi All,

I am a new MUW member, also a new diver. Anyway, I have a very bad case of motion sickness. I cannot even be driven, only being the driver. So whenever I go for diving trips, nouvo min is my best fren. 2 tables first thing in the morning and helps me throughout the day.

I learned from this forum that clarinese helps with sinus problems and helps equalize easily. I dont have a sinus problem, ok with equalizing. Just my question is, can Clarityne/Clarinese be taken together with Nouvomin? Will it cause extreme drowsyness? Anyone tried?

Thanks.  ;)
Bear Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Re: Clarityne/Clarinese + Nouvomin

Post Number:#2  Postby chocolate » Wed May 14, 2008 10:20 am

hye,

generally nouvomin causes you drowsiness. err..what is the generic name of this nouvomin?

anyway, clarinase is a long acting, non-sedating antihistamine / decongestant, causes you, may be thirst, nausea, dizziness, blurred vision. clarityne is a loratadine, is a potent long acting tricyclic antihistamine.

it is better to have clarinase since it doesnot cause you drowsiness compares to clarityne.

combination would not cause your drowsiness worse. my advc, seek a doc's advc on this, since it may effect your performance and underwater ability.

:)
the secret of life is enjoying the passage of time good chocolate ;)
chocolate
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#3  Postby Bear Diver » Wed May 14, 2008 11:55 am

I actually dont know if there is a generic name for nouvomin. Its a motion sickness treatment, which does not have any drowsyness effects on me... which works wonderfully on me. But not sure if I were to take clarinese/clarityne + nouvomin... it will cause side effects...
damn.. i sound like a junkie  :laughing11:
Bear Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#4  Postby John F SeaDemon » Wed May 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Novomin contains dimenhydrinate like Dramamine does.  Although it is meant to combat motion sickness. ironically it can also cause drowsiness or dizziness, blurred or double vision, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.  While you are under the effect of dimenhydrinates, you should not be diving.

If you feel like throwing up, the best is to throw up, until the bile juices come out.  You will feel a lot better.  Ask Sheik. He is the King of Vomits, yet he does LOB trips.

If you do not have sinus problems, keep it at that.  I do not see any reason for you to pop another extra pill.  I stand corrected. Maybe the MBBS in this forum would like to add or clarify or correct.

I'm moving this topic to the "Dive Medicine and Fitness" thread.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#5  Postby Bear Diver » Wed May 14, 2008 1:58 pm

Thanks John. You said 'ironically it can also cause drowsiness or dizziness, blurred or double vision, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea' it is definately ironic. But from what I've gathered from those who uses it, some do feel drowsy and some dont. Fortunately for me, I have been surviving on it.

I'll be reminded of your advise. Thanks
Bear Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#6  Postby DesertDiver » Thu May 15, 2008 11:11 am

I've always thought any dosage for decongestants would not be good for divers. If you feel sickly, you ought not dive in the first place.It affects how relaxed you are . A bad start to a dive translates to a relatively bad dive throughout.

Can i suggest that you get those magnetic bands that helps with seasickness instead?

I don't get seasick that much anymore(after a stint with a tallmasted ship for 3 weeks where I got sick everyday everyhour of the 1st week) and would recommend trying out an LOB for several days until you get used to it.
DesertDiver
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Bear Diver » Thu May 15, 2008 12:10 pm

Which magnetic wrist bands would you recommend?
Bear Diver
Diver
Diver

Topic author

Post Number:#8  Postby kablooie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:17 pm

Hi all :hello:
Since i'm new here, I thot of contributing something even tho this is Old post  :$

For motion sickness , you can buy "ACU-STRAP" from Guardian Pharmacy. Have used it for roadtrips etc & it works for those minor trips/rocking motion. Maybe cos somehow (maybe psychologically?) it makes me feel sleepy :sleepy2: Wear it before you get in the car/bus/boat and the band is made of stretchy tight fabric & in middle its has this 2 jutting out buttons on inside , that keep presssure on your Nei-kuan accupressure points on your wrist (dont ask me what this is  :P). For details , chk out www dot healthenterprises dot com -p/s i dont use this for /whilst diving, so not sure it it works.

For NOVOMIN , can buy from pharmacist (prescription counter only) at Guardian, Caring, Watson etc. i use this for when on boat dives (1 tablet in morning, 1 tablet in afternoon after food, ard 20 mins before getting on boat, and no problems at all for me  :) BUT it may not be the same for everyone.
Last edited by kablooie on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kablooie
Diver
Diver

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness