MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - DAN Insurance - is it essential to purchase?

DAN Insurance - is it essential to purchase?

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Re: DAN Insurance - is it essential to purchase?

Post Number:#31  Postby LaraCroft » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:16 pm

I am ashamed to admit that I am not insured for diving. And after learning from friends of 'real life DCI experiences'. Its really scary to me, coz I want to dive more and more in the future.
I think I shouldnt take the matter lightly AND am now seriously thinking of purchasing one.
Last edited by LaraCroft on Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#32  Postby Nazir Amin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:54 pm

LaraCroft wrote:I am ashamed to admit that I am not insured for diving. And after learning from friends of 'real life DCI experiences'. Its really scary to me, coz I want to dive more and more in the future.
I think I shouldnt take the matter lightly AND am now seriously thinking of purchasing one.

Ermm why have to think sista?

;)
Seekor anak kera bertanya ke ibunya, “Bu, knapa ya wajah kita begitu jelek?”
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#33  Postby MACHA » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Dey fellas...take my advice just whack...sign up, especially if you're diving abroad!
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#34  Postby Snafuette » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:43 pm

MACHA wrote:Dey fellas...take my advice just whack...sign up, especially if you're diving abroad!

Are you saying that if i dive only in Malaysia, I do not need insurance?
Dive Full-time, Work Part-time
Snafuette
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#35  Postby mocha » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:01 pm

i haf few questions:

does DAN haf their own helicopter/transport for medivac (airlift) from any of the islands to the nearest chamber??
if not then how?? what if they cant get any chopper when we are really in need??or do we arrange for the airlift and then claim from DAN??

do they send a doctor to attend to us?? how far does DAN go to ensure the safety of the customer??
or just merely giving instruction thru the phone....if thats the case, i haf another question... does the person on the other side haf experience wif threating DCS?? or just the common telephone operator reading from a manual??

after paying certain amount, i would expect certain service from them, not just to cover the cost of chamber treatment.....in my case, i am more concern of the transportation to the nearest chamber than the cost of the chamber treatment....
Last edited by mocha on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#36  Postby Snafu » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:15 pm

mocha wrote:i haf few questions:

does DAN haf their own helicopter/transport for medivac (airlift) from any of the islands to the nearest chamber??
if not then how?? what if they cant get any chopper when we are really in need??or do we arrange for the airlift and then claim from DAN??

do they send a doctor to attend to us?? how far does DAN go to ensure the safety of the customer??
or just merely giving instruction thru the phone....if thats the case, i haf another question... does the person on the other side haf experience wif threating DCS?? or just the common telephone operator reading from a manual??

after paying certain amount, i would expect certain service from them, not just to cover the cost of chamber treatment.....

DAN can hire Medivac & assist with it, if they cant find chopper or transport....they will give instruction, just follow the instruction.

DAN will provide Diving MO or Diving Doc to assist on phone.
DCS is to be treated by Diving Doc or Diving MO... U need chamber la bro, so Doc will be at Chamber or if no doc at Chamber, no problem as the Diving Doc can instruct the Chamber Operator on what table to use for treatment.
IMPORTANT: U need to provide the details of the dive etc..the ppl running the chamber will know how to do evaluation.

The person that U call are operator that have manual or standard to assist & number to contact.

Hey If u dont want to pay for diving insurance oso can... when it happen to U then hopefuly u will know what to do without causing trouble to the group or people around U  ;)

So do u know what to do?

If u have more question about DAN do contact them at http://www.danasiapacific.org/

:D
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#37  Postby mocha » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:25 pm

thanx for the feedback bro....hehe... now i know what i shud do....
i haf 96 HAT number in my log book and i leave those numbers wif my staffs whenever i go diving.... so, my staff would know who to contact if i contact them for assistance..... now i haf DAN as another option...

eh...one more question...hehe... if i kena DCS, i should be the one know who what to do or the ppl around me should know what to do? i haven't really seen a DCS patient in real life so i dun really know wht their condition is like..... say if i kena bend and its quite serious, and the ppl around me dunno what to do...then  how???
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#38  Postby Snafu » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:40 pm

mocha wrote:thanx for the feedback bro....hehe... now i know what i shud do....
i haf 96 HAT number in my log book and i leave those numbers wif my staffs whenever i go diving.... so, my staff would know who to contact if i contact them for assistance..... now i haf DAN as another option...

eh...one more question...hehe... if i kena DCS, i should be the one know who what to do or the ppl around me should know what to do? i haven't really seen a DCS patient in real life so i dun really know wht their condition is like..... say if i kena bend and its quite serious, and the ppl around me dunno what to do...then  how???

Bro..very power question!!!

HAT no. will work for U if u diving around Malaysian water.
If it happen outside of Malaysia, U can call DAN & ask for assistant even if u dont have DAN insurance but transportation & treatment with your own money (Make sure U have plenty of it)

What I would do is to provide the DAN policy no. & contact to the Dive Operator I am diving with, so incase of emergency..they can straight away contact DAN & provide ur policy no.... the rest will be arrange by DAN & ur diving operator.

As for the ppl. around U.... if U kena bend & they dont know what to do, I cant help u there la bro..how to answer, I know ppl with so many 1st Aid..EFR...O2 provider etc oso dont know what to do when it really happen.

What I can say is that when U do have diving insurance, when it happen, with proper information provided..... part of the battle are won already.

Is all about how fast u can get help, 1st line is to have O2 on-site..... :laughing11: & know how to use it  :laughing11:

Have a look at ur OPEN WATER BOOK...there should be something inside.

Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#39  Postby mocha » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:53 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:
HAT no. will work for U if u diving around Malaysian water.
If it happen outside of Malaysia, U can call DAN & ask for assistant even if u dont have DAN insurance but transportation & treatment with your own money (Make sure U have plenty of it)

aha....that's why i ask bout medivac in the first place.... coz i think that would be the main concern.... if DAN provide everything then cool.... if DAN ask to look for own transport then claim from them...then not cool....hehe....

Syed K. A. wrote:What I would do is to provide the DAN policy no. & contact to the Dive Operator I am diving with, so incase of emergency..they can straight away contact DAN & provide ur policy no.... the rest will be arrange by DAN & ur diving operator.

oh ok... good point there.... so all DAN customers, make sure u guys provide these infos when u check into the Dive centre... rather than kelam kabut looking for it when accident happens......

Syed K. A. wrote:As for the ppl. around U.... if U kena bend & they dont know what to do, I cant help u there la bro..how to answer, I know ppl with so many 1st Aid..EFR...O2 provider etc oso dont know what to do when it really happen.

this is  the scariest part lar bro.... after all the courses but dunno what to do... haha..but cant blame them, also.... took the course 2-3 years ago and never hafto use that skill... haha... so all lupa oledi la....

thanx for the feedback bro...... now i have better understanding on what dive insurance is all about...... ohhh.. last question la... out of curiousity.... hehe....those DAN policy holders should be able to help me here....

what does DAN insurance (or any dive insurance for that matter) cover?? only recompression chamber and medivac?? or any other kinda accidents during dive trips?? for example kaki patah after getting crush during dive trip... how ar??cover ar?? thanx.... cheers....
mocha
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#40  Postby Nazir Amin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:Have a look at ur OPEN WATER BOOK...there should be something inside.

;) ;)
Jawab ibunya, “Bersyukurlah nak, sebab wajah kita gak sejelek orang yang baca tulisan ini…”
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#41  Postby Scorpenesub » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:09 pm

mocha wrote:what does DAN insurance (or any dive insurance for that matter) cover?? only recompression chamber and medivac?? or any other kinda accidents during dive trips?? for example kaki patah after getting crush during dive trip... how ar??cover ar?? thanx.... cheers....

According to DAN, they cover all in-water accident... above water, NO. In dive-boat ot LOB, NO. Only UNDERWATER accidents....If you perform back-tip water entry and your head hit a rock underwater.... YES.... but then you pengsan (fainted) already lor....  :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#42  Postby Sicko » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:57 pm

Syed K. A. wrote: I know ppl with so many 1st Aid..EFR...O2 provider etc oso dont know what to do when it really happen.

That is so true!!!..........   :D
Anyone can do a dive to 100m or more.....
But how many will return alive???
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#43  Postby Sicko » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:01 pm

mocha wrote:thanx for the feedback bro...... now i have better understanding on what dive insurance is all about...... ohhh.. last question la... out of curiousity.... hehe....those DAN policy holders should be able to help me here....

what does DAN insurance (or any dive insurance for that matter) cover?? only recompression chamber and medivac?? or any other kinda accidents during dive trips?? for example kaki patah after getting crush during dive trip... how ar??cover ar?? thanx.... cheers....

http://www.danseap.org          :)
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#44  Postby O-ring » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:11 pm

hey guys..

what i've just read in this tread gave me the "kesedaran" to get one of those DAN thingy..

Need a favor fm u guys... how do i go about it? i'm in bangsar, where will the nearest sign up booth be? how much will it cost for a start?

Cheers!
O-ring
To handle yourself, use your head..
To handle others, use your heart.
O-ring
Diver
Diver

Post Number:#45  Postby Snafu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:49 am

O-ring wrote:hey guys..

what i've just read in this tread gave me the "kesedaran" to get one of those DAN thingy..

Need a favor fm u guys... how do i go about it? i'm in bangsar, where will the nearest sign up booth be? how much will it cost for a start?

Cheers!
O-ring

U can sign up on line ... the website www.danasiapacific.org

Pay for DAN membership & Dive accident (Basic, Master, Preferred or Family Plan)

DAN membership AUD60 + what plan you take up.

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#46  Postby MACHA » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:45 am

Jasmine Ho wrote:
MACHA wrote:Dey fellas...take my advice just whack...sign up, especially if you're diving abroad!

Are you saying that if i dive only in Malaysia, I do not need insurance?

Achooo!  No lah..What the Brickfields Fella meant,chamber treatment is costly no matter where you are.Even if you only do domestic dive you need cover .Especially abroad like those remote and isolated areas where you need ASAP emergency evac. eg. helicopter ride & they're costly too ;)
"A man needs a little madness or he never breaks the rope and goes free"......Zorba
MACHA
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topics: 1

Post Number:#47  Postby Snafuette » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:32 am

With all the replies from members of MUW that DAN insurance is essential... I have another question!!!

Which package do i purchase? they have the normal membership fee at AUD60 which is what we need to pay.. and then they have the extra package - that has standard plan, master plan and perferred plan.... how do we know which one to purchase?? very confusing... Anyone know which one should i purchase? or any advise which one is sufficient?
Dive Full-time, Work Part-time
Snafuette
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Topic author

Post Number:#48  Postby Nazir Amin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:52 am

Jasmine Ho wrote:With all the replies from members of MUW that DAN insurance is essential... I have another question!!!

Which package do i purchase? they have the normal membership fee at AUD60 which is what we need to pay.. and then they have the extra package - that has standard plan, master plan and perferred plan.... how do we know which one to purchase?? very confusing... Anyone know which one should i purchase? or any advise which one is sufficient?

I bought mine a master plan for extra coverage and depth. but since im just doing recreational i dont think i want to exceed 50m (exceeding 30m also not dare to do that)

Coverage plan and comparison table --> http://www.danasiapacific.org/main/memb ... stable.php
Nazir Amin
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#49  Postby Scorpenesub » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:05 pm

Jasmine Ho wrote:With all the replies from members of MUW that DAN insurance is essential... I have another question!!!

Jas, this all depends on one's wallet.... :D :D :D...

Off course, if you are a tech diver and plans to go deeper than 40m, they you have no choice but to buy preferred plan which is for those who plans to go beyond 40m... Premium also more painful.... :D

Remember, the more premium you pay, the more you'll burn when nothing happens..... And DAN does not have NCB (no claim bonus) like our auto insurance..... :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#50  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:21 pm

I would recommend the Master plan as from the way i see it, it covers a lot more.

Please remember as divers we are not only effected by DCI accidents, there is a whole lot more of other kind of injuries and accidents that can happen to us (exe: kena lanyak (run over) boat-if you can survive this!).

and i bet that this other kind of injuries happen a LOT MORE AND OFTEN then DCI.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#51  Postby LaraCroft » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:53 pm

Sammy wrote:

Off course, if you are a tech diver and plans to go deeper than 40m, they you have no choice but to buy preferred plan which is for those who plans to go beyond 40m... Premium also more painful.... :D

Remember, the more premium you pay, the more you'll burn when nothing happens..... And DAN does not have NCB (no claim bonus) like our auto insurance..... :D :D :D

Yes you are right about the wallet part oso ;). I have a scenario here for your advice :

I am advised to take up master plan but my wallet is only allowing standard plan (allow up to 40m).
Lets say while diving I am hit with down current and it takes me to 45m and I am down with DCS after I surface.
Will my insurance cover me? I was ONLY diving at 30m when the down current hit me. Which means I did not go to 45m on purpose.

How?
Get busy livin' or Get busy divin'
LaraCroft
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#52  Postby Mephisto the Heretic » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:58 pm

LaraCroft wrote:
Sammy wrote:

Yes you are right about the wallet part oso ;). I have a scenario here for your advice :

I am advised to take up master plan but my wallet is only allowing standard plan (allow up to 40m).
Lets say while diving I am hit with down current and it takes me to 45m and I am down with DCS after I surface.
Will my insurance cover me? I was ONLY diving at 30m when the down current hit me. Which means I did not go to 45m on purpose.

How?

i assume DAN like other insurance agencies will investigate and award accordingly.
BE FAITHFUL! BE STRONG! BE VIGILANT!
'...a mind without purpose will walk in dark places.' -The Spheres of Longing, II. ix. 31.
Mephisto the Heretic
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Post Number:#53  Postby Scorpenesub » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:59 pm

Agreed Mephisto, in that downcurrent situation, DAN will investigate..... That's why they have country reps..

Generally, all insurers operate on good faith.... If a diver says he was at 18 metres and was dragged to 60 metres by downcurrent resulting in bends, they will assume the diver is telling the truth...until evidence points otherwise.... If diver lies, insurance is void...
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#54  Postby Snafu » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:24 pm

Dont forget to sign-up for Diving Insurance leeeeeee ... be prepare ok.

Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#55  Postby Scorpenesub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:22 pm

Syed K. A. wrote:Dont forget to sign-up for Diving Insurance leeeeeee ... be prepare ok.

Can buy two ar...double indemnity.... (be doubly prepared and hopefully they'll pay double benefit).... :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#56  Postby Sicko » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:14 am

Scorpenesub wrote:
Syed K. A. wrote:Dont forget to sign-up for Diving Insurance leeeeeee ... be prepare ok.

Can buy two ar...double indemnity.... (be doubly prepared and hopefully they'll pay double benefit).... :D :D

That's a misconception. If they pay you double, you might just profit from the payout. That goes against the principle of insurance, which is to provide indemnity for loss incurred up to the sum insured.

The total chamber & evac costs will just be spilt among your insurers if you are insured with more than one company.
Sicko
Advanced Diver
Advanced Diver

Post Number:#57  Postby Scorpenesub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:34 am

Sicko wrote:
Scorpenesub wrote:

That's a misconception. If they pay you double, you might just profit from the payout. That goes against the principle of insurance, which is to provide indemnity for loss incurred up to the sum insured.
The total chamber & evac costs will just be spilt among your insurers if you are insured with more than one company.

:D :D :D Yes, i know. Just joking... :D :D :D
Stealth is success
Scorpenesub
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Post Number:#58  Postby Snafu » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:36 am

Reminder...Diving session started & please get urself diving insurance.

Lets dive safely & minimise the risk of getting BEND's.

Diving pro & dive operator included.

Be safe.
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness