MalaysianUnderwater.com (MUW) • View topic - Stroke symptoms

Stroke symptoms

Any information attained from this forum is for general knowledge only. Please seek professional advice for further diagnosis.

Stroke symptoms

Post Number:#1  Postby nanda666 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:45 pm

Has this article sent to me recently and thought this was a good place to post it.

As most dive locations are far away from medical facilities, quick assessments are vital.

hope the info helps.

STROKE: Remember.... S.T.a.R.

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .....she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 PM Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die.... they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke .

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE;
T * Ask the person to TALK and Coherently SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(e.g. It is sunny out today)

and R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 999/911 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other,that is also an indication of a stroke.
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 5

Re: Stroke symptoms

Post Number:#2  Postby John F SeaDemon » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:59 pm

This is a good tip, Nanda. Thank you for putting it up here.

I would advise divers to go for regular medical check ups. One of the common cause of stroke is hypertension, and most of the time it inhibits a person unnoticed.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post Number:#3  Postby trigger fish » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Good info Nanda, :angel8:

At least someone's life could be save if we notice

this kind of symptoms.  ;)
trigger fish
Master Scuba Diver
Master Scuba Diver

Post Number:#4  Postby IkanBilis » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:09 pm

Three old ladies were sitting on a bench having a chat in a secluded area in a park.

Suddenly, a male flasher appeared in font on them and opened his long coat.

The fist lady had a stroke.

The second lady had a stroke.

The third lady couldn't reach far enough to have a stroke....
[font=Freestyle Script][size=12px]IkanBilis in the shallows, under the jetty and near the shore,small and insignificant,too small to play in the deep, yet nice and crispy in nasi lemak. [/size][/font]
IkanBilis
Scuba Guru
Scuba Guru

Location: Nilai, Negeri Sembilan and Bandar Baru Salak Tinggi, Sepang

Post Number:#5  Postby nanda666 » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 pm

Hehehehe!! Good one!!  :D  :D  :D
Good education leads to good conservation!!
nanda666
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL
SCUBA PROFESSIONAL

Topic author
Topics: 5

Post Number:#6  Postby divedoc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:14 pm

SeaDemon wrote:This is a good tip, Nanda. Thank you for putting it up here.

I would advise divers to go for regular medical check ups. One of the common cause of stroke is hypertension, and most of the time it inhibits a person unnoticed.

Thanks SeaDemon...your words echoes my advice for our forummers...

UNCONTROLLED HYPERTENSION = high possibility of STROKE.
In case, that's not clear enough, hope everyone in MUW who dives regularly, go for annual or biennial medical checkup. Please heed by this advice.
divedoc
Sport Diver
Sport Diver

Post Number:#7  Postby Snafu » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:15 pm

divedoc wrote:In case, that's not clear enough, hope everyone in MUW who dives regularly, go for annual or biennial medical checkup. Please heed by this advice.

:laughing11: Few of them would have fail the check-up!!!

:D
Some people are only ALIVE because it's against the law to KILL them...really!!!
Snafu
Administrator
Administrator

Post Number:#8  Postby John F SeaDemon » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:09 pm

That's what worries me...many go around thinking it is just a normal headache...or shoulder feels heavy maybe because of fatigue...when it is actually hypertension.

And, Divedoc, or Bones, correct me if I am wrong...with added ambient pressure, your heart rate goes up to pump blood through an already constricted blood vessel...BP goes up even further. In the end, a lining somewhere gets weakened and poof...or heart can't take the pressure.
-If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying-
John F SeaDemon
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Dive Medicine & Fitness